Frame Pumps

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ed, Jun 11, 2003.

  1. Ed

    Ed Guest

    Not to open a can of worms but, short of all the hype from magazines and the manufactures, who has
    the best overall frame pump? I currently have a Zephal HPx2 and using on 700x38c tires it takes over
    500 strokes to get me close to 100 PSI. Is there anything better than going Co2?

    Thanks

    Ed

    Tags:

  2. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    "ed" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Not to open a can of worms but, short of all the hype from magazines and the manufactures, who has
    > the best overall frame pump?

    I find my Topeak Master Blaster - convertible chuck, adequate gauge, folding foot, folding t-handle,
    larger diameter barrel than SILCA and short enough to fit in bike bag - so useful and versatile that
    I would use it in place of a floor pump except for the difficulty replacing it.

  3. DiabloScott

    DiabloScott New Member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2003
    Messages:
    2,284
    Blackburn's frame-fit pump is excellent.
    I switched to CO2 though; can of worms contained.

  4. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    [email protected] (ed) wrote:

    >Not to open a can of worms but, short of all the hype from magazines and the manufactures, who has
    >the best overall frame pump? I currently have a Zephal HPx2 and using on 700x38c tires it takes
    >over 500 strokes to get me close to 100 PSI. Is there anything better than going Co2?

    It's all a trade off between volume and pressure.

    The larger the pump's bore, the more air gets pumped every stroke.

    The longer the bore, the more air gets pumped every stroke.

    The larger the bore, the harder you have to push to pump a given pressure.

    There's little down side to a longer pump, since you'll need fewer strokes to fill a tire to a given
    pressure. But the length is more or less determined by the fit in the bike's frame (doesn't apply to
    "mini pumps" that bolt on somewhere).

    If you find that you aren't having any problems pushing the HPx2 pump at 100psi (7 bar) you might
    look for a pump with a larger bore. I use what is essentially a MTB pump that fits in my Camelbak.
    By the time the tire has 100psi, I need to be supporting the pump head on something solid and
    leaning into it - but it DOES pump up a road tire fairly fast (and does a credible job of pumping up
    fat knobbies as well).

  5. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    >Not to open a can of worms but, short of all the hype from magazines and the manufactures, who has
    >the best overall frame pump? I currently have a Zephal HPx2 and using on 700x38c tires it takes
    >over 500 strokes to get me close to 100 PSI. Is there anything better than going Co2?

    There are not a lot of pumps better than the Zefal HPX2.
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  6. Szymon

    Szymon Guest

    I really like my Blackburn frame-fit pump, I've used it for about 3 years now. Co2's are nice but
    I've had a couple leak not knowing and then when I needed them, empty.

    "ed" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Not to open a can of worms but, short of all the hype from magazines and the manufactures, who has
    > the best overall frame pump? I currently have a Zephal HPx2 and using on 700x38c tires it takes
    > over 500 strokes to get me close to 100 PSI. Is there anything better than going Co2?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Ed

  7. Bill

    Bill Guest

    "Alex Rodriguez" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > >Not to open a can of worms but, short of all the hype from magazines and the manufactures, who
    > >has the best overall frame pump? I currently have a Zephal HPx2 and using on 700x38c tires it
    > >takes over 500 strokes to get me close to 100 PSI. Is there anything better than going Co2?
    >
    > There are not a lot of pumps better than the Zefal HPX2.
    > -----------------
    > Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

    I agree, the HPX as well as the Blackburn full size frame pumps are real and work well. I wonder if
    there is a problem with your particular HPX2. 500 strokes seems like an awful lot; however, my
    experience is with an HPX4 (longer barrel) and 700x23 (much lower volume tire). Maybe one of the
    engineering guys on this list can tell you whether the stroke count seems reasonable. Or, you could
    ride by your local LBS and try another of the same model and see if it has more reasonable results.

    Bill Brannon

  8. On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 05:59:03 +0000, ed wrote:

    > Is there anything better than going Co2?

    ToPeak Road Morph.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored _`\(,_ | by little statesmen
    and philosophers and divines. --Ralph Waldo (_)/ (_) | Emerson

  9. Mark Wolfe

    Mark Wolfe Guest

    I don't know about you guys, but I switched to CO2 a long time ago. My luck is always to get a flat
    at the top or almost to the top of a hill, and it sucks to get off the bike then have to pump the
    thing to get enough air into it. With CO2, it's a matter of just twist and fill. :)

    Doug Huffman wrote:

    > "ed" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Not to open a can of worms but, short of all the hype from magazines and the manufactures, who
    >> has the best overall frame pump?
    >
    > I find my Topeak Master Blaster - convertible chuck, adequate gauge,
    folding
    > foot, folding t-handle, larger diameter barrel than SILCA and short enough to fit in bike bag - so
    > useful and versatile that I would use it in place
    of
    > a floor pump except for the difficulty replacing it.

    --
    Mark Wolfe http://www.wolfenet.org gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6
    8C71 Putting heated bricks close to the news.admin.net-abuse.* groups. -- Megahal (trained on asr),

  10. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "ed" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Not to open a can of worms but, short of all the hype from magazines and the manufactures, who has
    > the best overall frame pump? I currently have a Zephal HPx2 and using on 700x38c tires it takes
    > over 500 strokes to get me close to 100 PSI. Is there anything better than going Co2?

    That's not a typical HPX report. You might ensure the plunger has something on it (oil or leather
    saddle goop or whatever - dry, caked ones don't seal well), check that the replaceable end washer
    is not worn out and then take care to press the pump firmly over the valve before lifting the lever
    to seal it.

  11. Dougc

    Dougc Guest

    "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "ed" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Not to open a can of worms but, short of all the hype from magazines and the manufactures, who
    > > has the best overall frame pump? I currently have a Zephal HPx2 and using on 700x38c tires it
    > > takes over 500 strokes to get me close to 100 PSI. Is there anything better than going Co2?
    >
    > That's not a typical HPX report. You might ensure the plunger has something on it (oil or leather
    > saddle goop or whatever - dry, caked ones don't seal well), check that the replaceable end washer
    > is not worn out and then take care to press the pump firmly over the valve before lifting the
    > lever to seal it.

    I used an HPX4, which is rugged, durable, and has very few moving parts. I recently decided to give
    the Road Morph a try and I love it. It does not feel as solid and it seems to have a lot of parts
    which could get broken off, but it is much easier to use. The hose reduces the risk of killing the
    tube at the stem and the fold-out handle and foot make getting a tire up to full pressure much
    easier. The built-in gauge, while not exceedingly accurate, is quite helpful.

  12. G.Daniels

    G.Daniels Guest

    nbar hasa no guage morph on sale-that with a radio slack digital air pressure guage might
    be a winner.

  13. On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 05:59:03 +0000, ed wrote:

    > Not to open a can of worms but, short of all the hype from magazines and the manufactures, who has
    > the best overall frame pump? I currently have a Zephal HPx2 and using on 700x38c tires it takes
    > over 500 strokes to get me close to 100 PSI. Is there anything better than going Co2?

    Look into the ToPeak Road morph. Great pump. Easily pumps up to 120psi. I donno how many strokes,
    but it doesn't matter since it is easy. Certainly nowhere near what you are talking about. Couple of
    minutes. The gauge is nice -- not a literal scale, but works relatively, so once you know what 100
    means on that pump, the gauge is useful.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | There is always an easy solution to every human problem - neat, _`\(,_ | plausible, and
    wrong. --H.L. Mencken (_)/ (_) |