Frame Quality: 2004 TCR 1 vs. 2004 Maillot Jaune

coltrane

Jun 17, 2004
Does any one have an insight into the frame quality of these two Bikes? Is part of the Lemond made in America and part in Taiwan? I know that the Giant Carbon is made in Taiwan, but that has nothing to do with quality, just price; a monocoque carbon frame with carbon lugs? Every comment will help..Thanks

I can't speak for the Lemond. I know the Giant is a very high quality bike. The all carbon 1 piece construction really strengthens the frame and makes it stiffer without sacrificing any rigidity.

coltrane said:
Does any one have an insight into the frame quality of these two Bikes? Is part of the Lemond made in America and part in Taiwan? I know that the Giant Carbon is made in Taiwan, but that has nothing to do with quality, just price; a monocoque carbon frame with carbon lugs? Every comment will help..Thanks
If it's monocoque, it has no lugs.

boudreaux said:
If it's monocoque, it has no lugs.

You are right, I am sorry....I believe it may have a joint around the bottom bracket...any one know if this is true?

coltrane said:
You are right, I am sorry....I believe it may have a joint around the bottom bracket...any one know if this is true?

The Giant has two bond points: One behind the bottom bracket the other where the mono seat stay meets the seat tube. The Spine bikes are all US made.

Scuba

Scuba Steve said:
The Giant has two bond points: One behind the bottom bracket the other where the mono seat stay meets the seat tube.
Scuba

That is incorrect sir. The giant frame is in fact, one whole piece, made from a bladder and wrapped. It's seamless. :cool: