frame question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by jasonball, May 11, 2010.

1. jasonball

jasonball New Member

I'm going to be building a bike on a cheap as possible budget with decent equipment. I have found a frame on ebay. but I'm a little confused on the height of the frame. I'm 6-3. I have been to a bike shop to be fitted generically. for the rigght size for my height. they put on a 58 - 60. 58 without bike short and 60 with the short pulling the personal equipment up some.

so here is the frame. would this be something worth going for.

K2 MOD 6.0 XL 58-60cm Road Bicycle Bike Frame 2006 New - eBay (item 180503444819 end time May-11-10 18:40:11 PDT)

I appreciate the advice and look forward to searching the site more.

Tags:

2. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

"Building" and "cheap" are often mutually exclusive, unless:
    a) you have a serious stash of parts already waiting
    b) you have the time and skill to scour ebay, craigslist and various sales for the parts that you need.

If a) and b) doesn't apply to you, then there are very good odds that you'd be better off buying a complete bike instead. Unless you insist on the very latest version there are usually bargains to be had from people who've found that maintaining that new and better lifestyle wasn't as fun and rewarding as they thought.

3. meowcatz

meowcatz New Member

I can't tell you much if you're asking how the frame will fit you. It's obviously not a well-known brand, but it looks like you can't go wrong if you get the thing for 60 bucks.

What I can tell you is what I think of the ebay listing.
    I noticed that crosslake sales is the ebay seller. I would definitely recommend buying from them. I ordered some handlebars a few weeks ago and they got here in two days.
    Also, notice that the shipping is $130. If you buy the frame, I'd ask if you could have it shipped UPS ground instead (you would save around $70).

4. jasonball

jasonball New Member

thanks for the comments.

5. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

I'm going to say that you should NOT consider that particular frame ...

While the frame may have a top tube length which would be good for someone your height, I think you may be unhappy with having about 14" (? ... maybe it will be less, much less, but it may be a lot more than you are anticipating) of exposed seatpost if the 54cm C-T measurement is to the top of the seat tube and not the top of the top tube.

What is your budget AND what type(s) of riding do you want to use the bike for?

6. jasonball

jasonball New Member

well my budget is kinda small. I have about 1000 to play with. but that will have to include getting the riding gear also ie. shorts, shirt. possible shoes.

as far as riding. I have always road walmart mountain bikes. but never taken them off the road. so figured I would get a road bike. but the price is just jaw dropping.

I plan on doing some road races. I have a 24.8 mile course that I have got down to 1hour 25 minutes. with a 54lb walmart dual suspension MNT. bike. figure i would decent with about 20lbs or more less weight.

7. Goose5

Goose5 New Member

Nice to know someone else is trying the same thing. I have not been able to bring myself to buy a frame off of ebay. I have been watching craigslist for that. I feel better if I can visually inspect the frame before committing. I would not hesitate to buy components however. It's nice to know Crosslakes is a good place to deal with.