Frame re-spray

Bryan

New Member
May 1, 2003
Thinking it's about time to give one of my older bikes a new lease of life with a new coat of paint.(why can't I et a tv program to do this for me, after all thre's house make ove programs, people make over programs, why not bike make over? :)

Anyway apart form flat it down, prime it, flat it down, paint it flat it (repeat ad nauseum) lacquer it, polish it has anyone got any other tips? Also what paint would be best to use? Woudl I get a decent job using Halfords paint, or would I be nbetter of going to a good motor shop and paying more for the paint (a google searhc indicated thatthis may be a better option)

Now al I have to to is decide on a colour (and even though it's the correct colour for a gentlemans safety bicycle it won't be black!)

Bryan

On 2/3/05 3:24 pm, in article [email protected],
"Tim Hall" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 14:31:24 +0000, JohnB <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Bryan wrote:
>>>
>>> Thinking it's about time to give one of my older bikes a new lease of
>>> life with a new coat of paint
>>>
>>> Anyway apart form flat it down, prime it, flat it down, paint it flat
>>> it (repeat ad nauseum) lacquer it, polish it has anyone got any other
>>> tips?

>> I've gone through his in the past and it just aint worth it - hours of
>> time for a finish that is not particularly durable (unless you use
>> hammerite).
>> I'd advise going to a local powder paint business and have them do it
>> for you.
>> It should cost in the region of £30 - £40

> Exactly so. I rejuvenated my daughter's bike by stripping it down and
> taking it along to a local paint shop. He quoted "around 30 - 35 quid
> mate". When I collected it he asked how much he quoted so I said 30
> quid. Cash of course.
>
> Powder coating was more expensive, around 70 notes, IIRC.

Got mine done at the local powder coating place. He had a range of over 100
colours and talked me into a nice holographic black. That was an expensive
one so it cost 40 quid for a shotblast and powder coat and laquer of frame
and forks.

...d

David Martin said:
On 2/3/05 3:24 pm, in article [email protected],
"Tim Hall" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 14:31:24 +0000, JohnB <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Bryan wrote:
>>>
>>> Thinking it's about time to give one of my older bikes a new lease of
>>> life with a new coat of paint
>>>
>>> Anyway apart form flat it down, prime it, flat it down, paint it flat
>>> it (repeat ad nauseum) lacquer it, polish it has anyone got any other
>>> tips?

>> I've gone through his in the past and it just aint worth it - hours of
>> time for a finish that is not particularly durable (unless you use
>> hammerite).
>> I'd advise going to a local powder paint business and have them do it
>> for you.
>> It should cost in the region of £30 - £40

> Exactly so. I rejuvenated my daughter's bike by stripping it down and
> taking it along to a local paint shop. He quoted "around 30 - 35 quid
> mate". When I collected it he asked how much he quoted so I said 30
> quid. Cash of course.
>
> Powder coating was more expensive, around 70 notes, IIRC.

Got mine done at the local powder coating place. He had a range of over 100
colours and talked me into a nice holographic black. That was an expensive
one so it cost 40 quid for a shotblast and powder coat and laquer of frame
and forks.

...d

Thanks, in which case anyone know of a powder coating place in/near London?

On 2/3/05 4:38 pm, in article [email protected],
"Bryan" <[email protected]> wrote:

> David Martin Wrote:
>> On 2/3/05 3:24 pm, in article
>> [email protected],

>> of

>> flat

>> other

>> of

>> it
>>>
>>> Exactly so. I rejuvenated my daughter's bike by stripping it down

>> and
>>> taking it along to a local paint shop. He quoted "around 30 - 35

>> quid
>>> mate". When I collected it he asked how much he quoted so I said 30
>>> quid. Cash of course.
>>>
>>> Powder coating was more expensive, around 70 notes, IIRC.
>>>

>> Got mine done at the local powder coating place. He had a range of over
>> 100
>> colours and talked me into a nice holographic black. That was an
>> expensive
>> one so it cost 40 quid for a shotblast and powder coat and laquer of
>> frame
>> and forks.
>>
>> ...d

> Thanks, in which case anyone know of a powder coating place in/near
> London?

yell.com ?

...d

David Martin said:
On 2/3/05 4:38 pm, in article [email protected],
"Bryan" <[email protected]> wrote:

> David Martin Wrote:
>> On 2/3/05 3:24 pm, in article
>> [email protected],

>> of

>> flat

>> other

>> of

>> it
>>>
>>> Exactly so. I rejuvenated my daughter's bike by stripping it down

>> and
>>> taking it along to a local paint shop. He quoted "around 30 - 35

>> quid
>>> mate". When I collected it he asked how much he quoted so I said 30
>>> quid. Cash of course.
>>>
>>> Powder coating was more expensive, around 70 notes, IIRC.
>>>

>> Got mine done at the local powder coating place. He had a range of over
>> 100
>> colours and talked me into a nice holographic black. That was an
>> expensive
>> one so it cost 40 quid for a shotblast and powder coat and laquer of
>> frame
>> and forks.
>>
>> ...d

> Thanks, in which case anyone know of a powder coating place in/near
> London?

yell.com ?

...d

OK I get the hint :) (I've just done that by the way), I should re-phrase my question, can anyone recommend a powder coating place in/near London?

Bryan

Bryan wrote:
> David Martin Wrote:
>
>>On 2/3/05 4:38 pm, in article
>>[email protected],

>>lease

>>hours

>>use

>>do

>>30

>>over

>>of

>>>Thanks, in which case anyone know of a powder coating place in/near
>>>London?
>>>

>>yell.com ?
>>
>>...d

> OK I get the hint :) (I've just done that by the way), I should
> re-phrase my question, can anyone recommend a powder coating place
> in/near London?
>
> Bryan

Vaz Finishes do a good job, over Dartford side of London.

Get any transfers/stickers put under the lacquer coat

nobody760 wrote:

> My pal had his old frame shot blasted

Have it bead blasted please, not shot blasted, especially if its an
aluminium frame.

Tony

OK I get the hint :) (I've just done that by the way), I should
re-phrase my question, can anyone recommend a powder coating place
in/near London?

Bryan

Vaz Finishes do a good job, over Dartford side of London.

Get any transfers/stickers put under the lacquer coat

Ahh ... interesting.
When I mentioned to SJSC (Thorn) that I saw their van near Dartford-Crayford
way they said it was probably delivering frames as they are painted up here.

There are quite a few companies when you search for powder coatings.
VAZ came up as Enamellers - Stove,
Vaz Finishers 25, Mallett Rd, London, SE13 6SP Tel: 020 8852 0711

Paul
(Remove junk to reply).

Bryan wrote:
> Thinking it's about time to give one of my older bikes a new lease of
> life with a new coat of paint.(why can't I et a tv program to do this
> for me, after all thre's house make ove programs, people make over
> programs, why not bike make over? :)
>
> Anyway apart form flat it down, prime it, flat it down, paint it flat
> it (repeat ad nauseum) lacquer it, polish it has anyone got any other
> tips? Also what paint would be best to use? Woudl I get a decent job
> using Halfords paint, or would I be nbetter of going to a good motor
> shop and paying more for the paint (a google searhc indicated thatthis
> may be a better option)
>
> Now al I have to to is decide on a colour (and even though it's the
> correct colour for a gentlemans safety bicycle it won't be black!)

You can't get a decent finish with Halfords paint. It's just ****. Go to a
paint factors, and get an aerosol of decent paint and you can get a good
finish. Flatting isn't really neccessary with application of skill when
spraying, and decent prep work. Just spray it until it looks evenly covered,
wet and shiney and let it dry for a few minutes before putting on another
coat.

That said, it'll never be as durable as proper enamelling.

Doki said:
Bryan wrote:
> Thinking it's about time to give one of my older bikes a new lease of
> life with a new coat of paint.(why can't I et a tv program to do this
> for me, after all thre's house make ove programs, people make over
> programs, why not bike make over? :)
>
> Anyway apart form flat it down, prime it, flat it down, paint it flat
> it (repeat ad nauseum) lacquer it, polish it has anyone got any other
> tips? Also what paint would be best to use? Woudl I get a decent job
> using Halfords paint, or would I be nbetter of going to a good motor
> shop and paying more for the paint (a google searhc indicated thatthis
> may be a better option)
>
> Now al I have to to is decide on a colour (and even though it's the
> correct colour for a gentlemans safety bicycle it won't be black!)

You can't get a decent finish with Halfords paint. It's just ****. Go to a
paint factors, and get an aerosol of decent paint and you can get a good
finish. Flatting isn't really neccessary with application of skill when
spraying, and decent prep work. Just spray it until it looks evenly covered,
wet and shiney and let it dry for a few minutes before putting on another
coat.

That said, it'll never be as durable as proper enamelling.

Thanks all, I'll give Vaz a cal as they aren't too far away.

Bryan

Contacted Vaz, £40 for a plain colour, £45-£50 for
metalic/pearlescent so I'll most likely head off down thee on Saturday
as "It's a turn round of a week at teh moment, but it will be 2 or 3
soon when the racing season starts" :)

Thanks for all the help

Bryan