Frame re-spray

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Bryan, Mar 2, 2005.

  1. Bryan

    Bryan New Member

    Joined:
    May 1, 2003
    Thinking it's about time to give one of my older bikes a new lease of life with a new coat of paint.(why can't I et a tv program to do this for me, after all thre's house make ove programs, people make over programs, why not bike make over? :)

    Anyway apart form flat it down, prime it, flat it down, paint it flat it (repeat ad nauseum) lacquer it, polish it has anyone got any other tips? Also what paint would be best to use? Woudl I get a decent job using Halfords paint, or would I be nbetter of going to a good motor shop and paying more for the paint (a google searhc indicated thatthis may be a better option)

    Now al I have to to is decide on a colour (and even though it's the correct colour for a gentlemans safety bicycle it won't be black!)

    Bryan

    Tags:

  2. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 2/3/05 3:24 pm, in article [email protected],
    "Tim Hall" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 14:31:24 +0000, JohnB <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Bryan wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Thinking it's about time to give one of my older bikes a new lease of
    >>> life with a new coat of paint
    >>>
    >>> Anyway apart form flat it down, prime it, flat it down, paint it flat
    >>> it (repeat ad nauseum) lacquer it, polish it has anyone got any other
    >>> tips?

    >> I've gone through his in the past and it just aint worth it - hours of
    >> time for a finish that is not particularly durable (unless you use
    >> hammerite).
    >> I'd advise going to a local powder paint business and have them do it
    >> for you.
    >> It should cost in the region of £30 - £40

    > Exactly so. I rejuvenated my daughter's bike by stripping it down and
    > taking it along to a local paint shop. He quoted "around 30 - 35 quid
    > mate". When I collected it he asked how much he quoted so I said 30
    > quid. Cash of course.
    >
    > Powder coating was more expensive, around 70 notes, IIRC.

    Got mine done at the local powder coating place. He had a range of over 100
    colours and talked me into a nice holographic black. That was an expensive
    one so it cost 40 quid for a shotblast and powder coat and laquer of frame
    and forks.

    ...d

  3. Bryan

    Bryan New Member

    Joined:
    May 1, 2003

    Thanks, in which case anyone know of a powder coating place in/near London?

  4. nobody760

    nobody760 Guest

    Yellow Pages!

  5. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 2/3/05 4:38 pm, in article [email protected],
    "Bryan" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > David Martin Wrote:
    >> On 2/3/05 3:24 pm, in article
    >> [email protected],

    >> of

    >> flat

    >> other

    >> of

    >> it
    >>>
    >>> Exactly so. I rejuvenated my daughter's bike by stripping it down

    >> and
    >>> taking it along to a local paint shop. He quoted "around 30 - 35

    >> quid
    >>> mate". When I collected it he asked how much he quoted so I said 30
    >>> quid. Cash of course.
    >>>
    >>> Powder coating was more expensive, around 70 notes, IIRC.
    >>>

    >> Got mine done at the local powder coating place. He had a range of over
    >> 100
    >> colours and talked me into a nice holographic black. That was an
    >> expensive
    >> one so it cost 40 quid for a shotblast and powder coat and laquer of
    >> frame
    >> and forks.
    >>
    >> ...d

    > Thanks, in which case anyone know of a powder coating place in/near
    > London?

    yell.com ?

    ...d

  6. Bryan

    Bryan New Member

    Joined:
    May 1, 2003
    OK I get the hint :) (I've just done that by the way), I should re-phrase my question, can anyone recommend a powder coating place in/near London?

    Bryan

  7. pete whelan

    pete whelan Guest

    Bryan wrote:
    > David Martin Wrote:
    >
    >>On 2/3/05 4:38 pm, in article
    >>[email protected],

    >>lease

    >>hours

    >>use

    >>do

    >>30

    >>over

    >>of

    >>>Thanks, in which case anyone know of a powder coating place in/near
    >>>London?
    >>>

    >>yell.com ?
    >>
    >>...d

    > OK I get the hint :) (I've just done that by the way), I should
    > re-phrase my question, can anyone recommend a powder coating place
    > in/near London?
    >
    > Bryan

    Vaz Finishes do a good job, over Dartford side of London.

    Get any transfers/stickers put under the lacquer coat

  8. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    nobody760 wrote:

    > My pal had his old frame shot blasted

    Have it bead blasted please, not shot blasted, especially if its an
    aluminium frame.

    Tony

  9. Paulmouk

    Paulmouk Guest

    OK I get the hint :) (I've just done that by the way), I should
    re-phrase my question, can anyone recommend a powder coating place
    in/near London?

    Bryan

    Vaz Finishes do a good job, over Dartford side of London.

    Get any transfers/stickers put under the lacquer coat

    Ahh ... interesting.
    When I mentioned to SJSC (Thorn) that I saw their van near Dartford-Crayford
    way they said it was probably delivering frames as they are painted up here.

    There are quite a few companies when you search for powder coatings.
    VAZ came up as Enamellers - Stove,
    Vaz Finishers 25, Mallett Rd, London, SE13 6SP Tel: 020 8852 0711

    Paul
    (Remove junk to reply).

  10. Doki

    Doki Guest

    Bryan wrote:
    > Thinking it's about time to give one of my older bikes a new lease of
    > life with a new coat of paint.(why can't I et a tv program to do this
    > for me, after all thre's house make ove programs, people make over
    > programs, why not bike make over? :)
    >
    > Anyway apart form flat it down, prime it, flat it down, paint it flat
    > it (repeat ad nauseum) lacquer it, polish it has anyone got any other
    > tips? Also what paint would be best to use? Woudl I get a decent job
    > using Halfords paint, or would I be nbetter of going to a good motor
    > shop and paying more for the paint (a google searhc indicated thatthis
    > may be a better option)
    >
    > Now al I have to to is decide on a colour (and even though it's the
    > correct colour for a gentlemans safety bicycle it won't be black!)

    You can't get a decent finish with Halfords paint. It's just shit. Go to a
    paint factors, and get an aerosol of decent paint and you can get a good
    finish. Flatting isn't really neccessary with application of skill when
    spraying, and decent prep work. Just spray it until it looks evenly covered,
    wet and shiney and let it dry for a few minutes before putting on another
    coat.

    That said, it'll never be as durable as proper enamelling.

  11. Bryan

    Bryan New Member

    Joined:
    May 1, 2003

    Thanks all, I'll give Vaz a cal as they aren't too far away.

    Bryan

  12. yorky

    yorky Guest

    Contacted Vaz, £40 for a plain colour, £45-£50 for
    metalic/pearlescent so I'll most likely head off down thee on Saturday
    as "It's a turn round of a week at teh moment, but it will be 2 or 3
    soon when the racing season starts" :)

    Thanks for all the help

    Bryan