Frame Repaint

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Brandon Sulliva, Aug 27, 2003.

  1. Does anyone know a good place to have a frame repainted. I recently returned for the Chicago
    Triathlon and thanks to Southwest Airlines and the TSA (who unpacked my bike to check it and and
    didn't repack it correctly) I have several scratches and gouges out of the paint. Cannondale doesn't
    repaint their frames. Any suggestions. I live in Phoenix Arizona, but would be willing, funded by
    Southwest of course, to ship the bike anywhere in the US. I just want the Cannondale decal package
    added, and it to look close to the original.

    Tags:

  2. Bd539

    Bd539 Guest

    As an employee of SWA, I strongly disagree with you. TSA is not part of the airline they are federal
    gov. employees and are should be held soley liable for the repacking of your bike. This type
    situation comes about way too often and the airlines take the heat fron A-HOLES such as yourself.
    Talk to the TSA A-HOLES too get your money, not my ariline. BTW hoped you enjoyed your peanuts.

  3. Witheld

    Witheld Guest

    [email protected] (BD539) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > As an employee of SWA, I strongly disagree with you. TSA is not part of the airline they are
    > federal gov. employees and are should be held soley liable for the repacking of your bike. This
    > type situation comes about way too often and the airlines take the heat fron A-HOLES such as
    > yourself. Talk to the TSA A-HOLES too get your money, not my ariline. BTW hoped you enjoyed your
    > peanuts.

    ON TOPIC:

    Your LBS should be able to provide guidance/references for repainting.

    OFF TOPIC:

    First, I don't have detailed knowledge of SWA processes. If it is like most things, Southwest had an
    opportunity to either be a part of the problem or a part of the solution. In a service industry, it
    is a rare luxury to elect to be NEITHER.

    If it is just as you described, certainly the bike damage is the fault of the TSA. However, with
    sovereign immunity (government), this guy won't see a dime. This is not to suggest that one should
    go after an innocent party (SWA), just because you can achieve your desired ends. Ethics, please!

    The fact that SWA would not or could not correct TSA's error should not transfer any blame to SWA -
    - for failing to clean up after TSA before loading the baggage onto their plane. That would have
    been expecting EXTRAORDINARY customer service.

    SWA is in business for the money. The cost of "extraordinary" customer service measures may just not
    fit the SWA business model. In that case, manage your own expectations of what might happen to your
    bike and why.

    If you think it would help, use a premium airline next time - - though I doubt it will matter.
    Airlines send a subtle message ($$$) about bikes; they don't like carrying them. Consider paying
    your LBS to ship it next time or even do it yourself.

    rsquared

  4. Woah. First, I simply asked about my frame. Just because my bike was damaged, at no fault of my own
    and I wanted it fixed at no cost to my own, doesn't make me an asshole, as you so eloquently put it.
    Second, both the fact that the bike was repacked wrong and the fact that the bike was handled
    roughly during transit, contributed to the damage. SWA is the organization that provided the
    service, the TSA is a government organization that works with that group. Ultimately, SWA has
    responsibility.

    Now back to my question, anyone know where to get my frame repainted. I recently heard Cannondale
    has a frame exchange program. Anyone know anything about it?

    and leave you personal opinions out of this fourm

  5. Try Bicycle Sports in Shrevesport, LA. Yup, John Cobb's original store. They painted Kestrel KM40 2
    years ago and it still looks great. I don't see the service listed on their website
    (www.bicyclesports.com), but they describe it in their catalog. Give 'em a call.

    I've also heard Spectrum Cycles in Pennsylvania does a great job too, but have no direct experience
    with them.

    "Brandon Sullivan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone know a good place to have a frame repainted. I recently returned for the Chicago
    > Triathlon and thanks to Southwest Airlines and
    the
    > TSA (who unpacked my bike to check it and and didn't repack it correctly)
    > have several scratches and gouges out of the paint. Cannondale doesn't repaint their frames. Any
    > suggestions. I live in Phoenix Arizona, but would be willing, funded by Southwest of course, to
    > ship the bike anywhere in the US. I just want the Cannondale decal package added, and it to look
    > close to the original.

  6. Dan O'Brasky

    Dan O'Brasky Guest

    Cyclart http://www.cyclart.com/ in California is probably the best in the business and not too far
    from you either. Recommended by most manufacturers for the best all around work and knowledge of the
    materials they are prepping and refinishing or restoring. Hope this helps.

    Dan "Brandon Sullivan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone know a good place to have a frame repainted. I recently returned for the Chicago
    > Triathlon and thanks to Southwest Airlines and
    the
    > TSA (who unpacked my bike to check it and and didn't repack it correctly)
    > have several scratches and gouges out of the paint. Cannondale doesn't repaint their frames. Any
    > suggestions. I live in Phoenix Arizona, but would be willing, funded by Southwest of course, to
    > ship the bike anywhere in the US. I just want the Cannondale decal package added, and it to look
    > close to the original.

  7. Toon

    Toon Guest

    I don't want to really change the subject here, but has anyone ever done a "personalized"
    painting job, with an airbrush for instance. Would this be possible? Will it hold in months of
    severe weather?

    I just got my zebra painted Specialized bike (and like it a lot), but I am already thinking of
    repainting it in a year or 2. (yeah, I'm that far ahead on this one).

    Off topic: Cheers,

    Toon

  8. Dan O'Brasky

    Dan O'Brasky Guest

    call cycleart as I told the fellow with the original post. yes of course you can do that, but why
    not just have a custom frame made and have it painted custom for you? your frame is not really
    expensive enough to warrant an unneeded repainting is it?

    "Toon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I don't want to really change the subject here, but has anyone ever done a "personalized" painting
    > job, with an airbrush for instance. Would this be possible? Will it hold in months of severe
    > weather?
    >
    > I just got my zebra painted Specialized bike (and like it a lot), but I am already thinking of
    > repainting it in a year or 2. (yeah, I'm that far ahead on this one).
    >
    > Off topic: Cheers,
    >
    > Toon

  9. Toon

    Toon Guest

    uh-uh. I'd have my uncle do it instead. He's good with the airbrush. And he ain't expensive. Think
    he charges a six-pack. Which he then drinks right before he starts painting.

    Toon

    "Dan O'Brasky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > call cycleart as I told the fellow with the original post. yes of course you can do that, but why
    > not just have a custom frame made and have it painted custom for you? your frame is not really
    > expensive enough to warrant an unneeded repainting is it?
    >

    > "Toon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I don't want to really change the subject here, but has anyone ever done a "personalized"
    > > painting job, with an airbrush for instance. Would this be possible? Will it hold in months of
    > > severe weather?
    > >
    > > I just got my zebra painted Specialized bike (and like it a lot), but I am already thinking of
    > > repainting it in a year or 2. (yeah, I'm that far ahead on this one).
    > >
    > > Off topic: Cheers,
    > >
    > > Toon

  10. If your frame is worth less than 400 dollars I won't spend 300 repainting the frame to later realize
    that I could have bought a nice frame for 500.

    "Brandon Sullivan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone know a good place to have a frame repainted. I recently returned for the Chicago
    > Triathlon and thanks to Southwest Airlines and
    the
    > TSA (who unpacked my bike to check it and and didn't repack it correctly)
    > have several scratches and gouges out of the paint. Cannondale doesn't repaint their frames. Any
    > suggestions. I live in Phoenix Arizona, but would be willing, funded by Southwest of course, to
    > ship the bike anywhere in the US. I just want the Cannondale decal package added, and it to look
    > close to the original.

  11. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Try AirGlow. They are in Georgia. They repainted mine & it trurned out very nice. I am assuming that
    SW is paying for it? You could get an estimate, take the cash & pay them yourself. Or invest in a
    new frame.