Frame replacement: Aluminum to carbon fiber can you switch components

biserker1

Jan 17, 2011
I am currently riding a 2010 trek 2.1. I have the opportunity to pick up a 2008 trek madone frame. The madone is a 4.5. My current ride has majority 105 components with the exception of tiagra brakes and Shimano R-600 compact crank.

Can i simply strip my components off my current frame and transfer to the new carbon fiber frame? I am interested in getting into a full carbon fiber frame.

Thanks.

The parts don't care much about the frame material, but quite a lot about their dimensions. If dimensions are the same, seat tube size, seat post size etc, then the parts will swap right over.

The Madone 4.5 should have a screw in bottom bracket just like the 2.1. The only things which need to be checked are the seatpost diameter (probably both 27.2 given they are both Treks) and seat tube outer diameter. The seat tube outer diameter is critical to the clamp for placing the front derailleur and must be known accurately to avoid damaging the frame and to prevent the derailleur from slipping.

Otherwise, parts should swap over pretty easily, but I would factor in a fresh set of cables (inners and outers), and new bar tape as well.