Frame: Rust From Inside?

(PeteCresswell)

Guest
My utility bike's frame is an old StumpJumper.

Probably pretty-good quality steel.

But it spends it's share of time outside, chained to
something-or-other with the saddle/seatpost removed.

Is it worth pouring something into that seat tube to coat it
against rust? Or will steel of that quality not be bothered?
--
PeteCresswell

In article <[email protected]>,
"(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:

> My utility bike's frame is an old StumpJumper.
>
> Probably pretty-good quality steel.
>
> But it spends it's share of time outside, chained to
> something-or-other with the saddle/seatpost removed.
>
> Is it worth pouring something into that seat tube to coat it
> against rust? Or will steel of that quality not be bothered?

I'd suggest a cap over the hole, if you can't manage a parking spot
under a roof. I do a some bike salvage, and extensive rust time can make
them pretty useless. Steel rusts - good steel, bad steel, if it's not
stainless steel, it rusts. Presumably the bottom bracket bearings are
getting irrigated whenever it rains in your seatpost hole, which won't
help them any, either.

Grease and/or wax can cut down on rust, but you want to avoid having
water collect inside the bike frame.

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 18:43:27 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>My utility bike's frame is an old StumpJumper.
>Is it worth pouring something into that seat tube to coat it
>against rust?

I recommend that you spray the inside of the tubes with a rust
preventative such as J P Weigel Framesaver.

On Apr 28, 5:43 pm, "(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:
> My utility bike's frame is an old StumpJumper.
>
> Probably pretty-good quality steel.
>
> But it spends it's share of time outside, chained to
> something-or-other with the saddle/seatpost removed.
>
> Is it worth pouring something into that seat tube to coat it
> against rust? Or will steel of that quality not be bothered?
> --
> PeteCresswell

Would Rustoleum convert any existing rust?

[email protected] wrote:
> On Apr 28, 5:43 pm, "(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>My utility bike's frame is an old StumpJumper.
>>
>>Probably pretty-good quality steel.
>>
>>But it spends it's share of time outside, chained to
>>something-or-other with the saddle/seatpost removed.
>>
>>Is it worth pouring something into that seat tube to coat it
>>against rust? Or will steel of that quality not be bothered?
>>--
>>PeteCresswell

> Would Rustoleum convert any existing rust?

no. rustoleum is a coating not a rust converter.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Ecnerwal wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> My utility bike's frame is an old StumpJumper.
>>
>> Probably pretty-good quality steel.
>>
>> But it spends it's share of time outside, chained to
>> something-or-other with the saddle/seatpost removed.
>>
>> Is it worth pouring something into that seat tube to coat it
>> against rust? Or will steel of that quality not be bothered?

> I'd suggest a cap over the hole, if you can't manage a parking spot
> under a roof. I do a some bike salvage, and extensive rust time can make
> them pretty useless. Steel rusts - good steel, bad steel, if it's not
> stainless steel, it rusts. Presumably the bottom bracket bearings are
> getting irrigated whenever it rains in your seatpost hole, which won't
> help them any, either.
>
> Grease and/or wax can cut down on rust, but you want to avoid having
> water collect inside the bike frame.

I'm reminded of some German flatware I bought a good while back. It was
marked:
TOWLE
18/8 Stainless
Germany

There was a piece of paper accompanying the set that specifically said
the meaning of "stainless" was literally that - it would still rust, but
less than something made of non-stainless steel.

Our experience with this fine German-made product is that, yes, it does
rust, and it takes a lot of hard scrubbing to get the rust off. Seems
to happen mostly to the knives, probably because the blades have flat
surfaces where we occasionally allow water to sit.

Intentionally letting water enter the inside of the frame is known as
"Frame-icide", and the penalties for this crime are severe!

[email protected] wrote:
> Would Rustoleum convert any existing rust?

In advertising or in chemistry?
--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

In article
<fa10fd3f-a1fb-4c47-87ec-5af5d48f4c46@a70g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,

> On Apr 28, 5:43 pm, "(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > My utility bike's frame is an old StumpJumper.
> >
> > Probably pretty-good quality steel.
> >
> > But it spends it's share of time outside, chained to
> > something-or-other with the saddle/seatpost removed.
> >
> > Is it worth pouring something into that seat tube to coat it
> > against rust? Or will steel of that quality not be bothered?
> > --
> > PeteCresswell

> Would Rustoleum convert any existing rust?

Don't get so much **** in there that your seat tube doesn't fit right.
You could grab some POR-15 or Extend if you want to feel all "ohh, I
converted my rust" - or you can just dry it out and smear some 90W gear
oil or grease in there to stop further rusting. Or LPS-3 - a very good,
time-tested spray-on waxy coating.

Then again, you could Parkerize the frame in a huge vat of near-boiling
phosphoric acid solution - which is probably a great scam (if not
exactly a scam, not exactly an actual need for most bike users) for some
bike shop to get in on. Remember to send me 5% of the net
profits...we'll call it Bikerizing - might want to make sure the tank is
large enough to fit a Harley frame in, so as to maximize profit
potential.

On Apr 28, 8:02 pm, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 28, 5:43 pm, "(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > My utility bike's frame is an old StumpJumper.

> > Probably pretty-good quality steel.

> > But it spends it's share of time outside, chained to
> > something-or-other with the saddle/seatpost removed.

> > Is it worth pouring something into that seat tube to coat it
> > against rust? Or will steel of that quality not be bothered?
> > --
> > PeteCresswell

> Would Rustoleum convert any existing rust?

I'd start with friendly conversation, working up to the pamphlets and
tracts.

idea is cutting off the flow of water and oxygen, sealing the rust
into the steel surface.
problem is removing enough loose rust or dirt so a seal coating may
effectively adhere.
biketoolsect ? i never get that right has round brushes for the tiube.
Grainger's has pickle ? brushes but in quantity. If there's a
Graimgers or industrial supply nearby, ask them who buys brushes for
resale.
brush with Tide and water. in out in out.....in out. add tide rinse in
out....
this will remove the dirt rust and leave what's left of the metal.
brushes dig out the dirt.
a thinned coat of linseed oil allowed to dry followed by rusto rusty
metal primer then white rusto should keep the stump jumper on the road
for the next 15 years.
aluminum anti- sieze mixed with linseed is an excellent seatpost lube
sealing moisture out with a collar of the mix up at the open joining
circumference.

On Apr 28, 10:14 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 28, 8:02 pm, "[email protected]"
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Apr 28, 5:43 pm, "(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > My utility bike's frame is an old StumpJumper.

> > > Probably pretty-good quality steel.

> > > But it spends it's share of time outside, chained to
> > > something-or-other with the saddle/seatpost removed.

> > > Is it worth pouring something into that seat tube to coat it
> > > against rust?   Or will steel of that quality not be bothered?
> > > --
> > > PeteCresswell

> > Would Rustoleum convert any existing rust?

> I'd start with friendly conversation, working up to the pamphlets and
> tracts.- Hide quoted text -

right. AND NO BACKSLIDING !

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 18:43:27 -0400, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

> Is it worth pouring something into that seat tube to coat it
> against rust? Or will steel of that quality not be bothered?

You can get a better condition utility bike for under $50 from craigslist,
even during a recession that's not so much.