Frame Screw Size Old Scwinn Rack

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by smyrna45, Aug 8, 2004.

  1. smyrna45

    smyrna45 Guest

    Hi. I am slowly getting the "bike boom" 10 speed Schwinn World
    restored for my wife. New tires and tubes, cabling, brake pads, bottom
    bracket bearings and spindle, handlebar wrap etc. Last week I got a
    Delta rack for the back (she basically wants a touring bike for short
    weekend rides).

    It came with a bunch of 8mm mounting screws, and I bought the kit to
    mount it on frames without braze ons under the seat, but the screws
    don't fit the pre-taped frame holes on the rear dropouts. I know I
    could just put a long nut/bolt combination through the hole, but
    would rather use what is there. Does anyone know what size the screw
    is that fits these old schwinn frame holes?

    Failing that, is there an easy way to figure out what size and threads
    per inch the hole is?

    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Bob Wheeler

    Bob Wheeler Guest

    It appears to be 1/8 x 32 tpi. The mounting bolts from old SunTour front
    deraillers work.

    --
    Bob Wheeler --- http://www.bobwheeler.com/
    ECHIP, Inc. ---

  3. E. Willson

    E. Willson Guest

    I would ride it to the hardware store and try different size screws until
    I got ones that fit. IIRC the old Schwin is 10-32, but it may be 3/16
    inch.

    HTH,
    Ernie

    smyrna45 wrote:

    > Hi. I am slowly getting the "bike boom" 10 speed Schwinn World
    > restored for my wife. New tires and tubes, cabling, brake pads, bottom
    > bracket bearings and spindle, handlebar wrap etc. Last week I got a
    > Delta rack for the back (she basically wants a touring bike for short
    > weekend rides).
    >
    > It came with a bunch of 8mm mounting screws, and I bought the kit to
    > mount it on frames without braze ons under the seat, but the screws
    > don't fit the pre-taped frame holes on the rear dropouts. I know I
    > could just put a long nut/bolt combination through the hole, but
    > would rather use what is there. Does anyone know what size the screw
    > is that fits these old schwinn frame holes?
    >
    > Failing that, is there an easy way to figure out what size and threads
    > per inch the hole is?
    >
    > Thanks.

  4. wannagofast

    wannagofast Guest

    3/16 and no. 10 screws are the same, agree with take to hardware store as
    the threading will be english, either 8 (5/32) or 10 (3/16) is likely. 1/8
    of no.6 screw.

    Corse threading is 24 tpi and fine is 32tpi.

    news:[email protected]

  5. A shy person wrote:

    > 3/16 and no. 10 screws are the same, agree with take to hardware store as
    > the threading will be english, either 8 (5/32) or 10 (3/16) is likely. 1/8
    > of no.6 screw.
    >
    > Corse threading is 24 tpi and fine is 32tpi.

    Most frame eyelets are 5 mm x .8. This thread is so close to #10 - 32
    tpi as to be functionally interchangeable in many applications.

    Sheldon "Standards" Brown
    | The nice thing about standards is that |
    | there are so many of them to choose from. |
    | --Andrew S. Tanenbaum |
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  6. smyrna45

    smyrna45 Guest

    On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 22:09:16 -0400, Sheldon Brown
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >A shy person wrote:
    >
    >> 3/16 and no. 10 screws are the same, agree with take to hardware store as
    >> the threading will be english, either 8 (5/32) or 10 (3/16) is likely. 1/8
    >> of no.6 screw.
    >>
    >> Corse threading is 24 tpi and fine is 32tpi.

    >Most frame eyelets are 5 mm x .8. This thread is so close to #10 - 32
    >tpi as to be functionally interchangeable in many applications.
    >
    >Sheldon "Standards" Brown
    >+---------------------------------------------+
    >| The nice thing about standards is that |
    >| there are so many of them to choose from. |
    >| --Andrew S. Tanenbaum |
    >+---------------------------------------------+
    > Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    > Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    > http://harriscyclery.com
    > Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    >http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

    Good idea on riding it to the hardware store I agree. I guess I am so
    used to driving a car everywhere, I only thought of putting in the car
    and driving it there. I guess you can tell on only ride on bike
    trails.

    I think it is indeed a 3/16" bolt with 24 tpi.

    I took a carrot (yes you heard that right), and carved a half-inch or
    so it to just over the diameter of the hole. Then I threaded it in
    carefully and let the hole cut its own threads. I unscrewed it, and
    measured it with my micrometer. Sure looks like 3/16" and 6 threads on
    the 1/4" that I threaded in. That would make it 6x4=24 tpi. A bit
    unconventional, but it seemed to work.

    Thanks to all who responded.