Frame Screw Size Old Scwinn Rack

smyrna45

Guest
Hi. I am slowly getting the "bike boom" 10 speed Schwinn World
restored for my wife. New tires and tubes, cabling, brake pads, bottom
bracket bearings and spindle, handlebar wrap etc. Last week I got a
Delta rack for the back (she basically wants a touring bike for short
weekend rides).

It came with a bunch of 8mm mounting screws, and I bought the kit to
mount it on frames without braze ons under the seat, but the screws
don't fit the pre-taped frame holes on the rear dropouts. I know I
could just put a long nut/bolt combination through the hole, but
would rather use what is there. Does anyone know what size the screw
is that fits these old schwinn frame holes?

Failing that, is there an easy way to figure out what size and threads
per inch the hole is?

Thanks.

It appears to be 1/8 x 32 tpi. The mounting bolts from old SunTour front
deraillers work.

--
Bob Wheeler --- http://www.bobwheeler.com/
ECHIP, Inc. ---

I would ride it to the hardware store and try different size screws until
I got ones that fit. IIRC the old Schwin is 10-32, but it may be 3/16
inch.

HTH,
Ernie

smyrna45 wrote:

> Hi. I am slowly getting the "bike boom" 10 speed Schwinn World
> restored for my wife. New tires and tubes, cabling, brake pads, bottom
> bracket bearings and spindle, handlebar wrap etc. Last week I got a
> Delta rack for the back (she basically wants a touring bike for short
> weekend rides).
>
> It came with a bunch of 8mm mounting screws, and I bought the kit to
> mount it on frames without braze ons under the seat, but the screws
> don't fit the pre-taped frame holes on the rear dropouts. I know I
> could just put a long nut/bolt combination through the hole, but
> would rather use what is there. Does anyone know what size the screw
> is that fits these old schwinn frame holes?
>
> Failing that, is there an easy way to figure out what size and threads
> per inch the hole is?
>
> Thanks.

3/16 and no. 10 screws are the same, agree with take to hardware store as
the threading will be english, either 8 (5/32) or 10 (3/16) is likely. 1/8
of no.6 screw.

Corse threading is 24 tpi and fine is 32tpi.

news:[email protected]...

A shy person wrote:

> 3/16 and no. 10 screws are the same, agree with take to hardware store as
> the threading will be english, either 8 (5/32) or 10 (3/16) is likely. 1/8
> of no.6 screw.
>
> Corse threading is 24 tpi and fine is 32tpi.

Most frame eyelets are 5 mm x .8. This thread is so close to #10 - 32
tpi as to be functionally interchangeable in many applications.

Sheldon "Standards" Brown
| The nice thing about standards is that |
| there are so many of them to choose from. |
| --Andrew S. Tanenbaum |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 22:09:16 -0400, Sheldon Brown
<[email protected]> wrote:

>A shy person wrote:
>
>> 3/16 and no. 10 screws are the same, agree with take to hardware store as
>> the threading will be english, either 8 (5/32) or 10 (3/16) is likely. 1/8
>> of no.6 screw.
>>
>> Corse threading is 24 tpi and fine is 32tpi.

>Most frame eyelets are 5 mm x .8. This thread is so close to #10 - 32
>tpi as to be functionally interchangeable in many applications.
>
>Sheldon "Standards" Brown
>+---------------------------------------------+
>| The nice thing about standards is that |
>| there are so many of them to choose from. |
>| --Andrew S. Tanenbaum |
>+---------------------------------------------+
> Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
> Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
> http://harriscyclery.com
> Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
>http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

Good idea on riding it to the hardware store I agree. I guess I am so
used to driving a car everywhere, I only thought of putting in the car
and driving it there. I guess you can tell on only ride on bike
trails.

I think it is indeed a 3/16" bolt with 24 tpi.

I took a carrot (yes you heard that right), and carved a half-inch or
so it to just over the diameter of the hole. Then I threaded it in
carefully and let the hole cut its own threads. I unscrewed it, and
measured it with my micrometer. Sure looks like 3/16" and 6 threads on
the 1/4" that I threaded in. That would make it 6x4=24 tpi. A bit
unconventional, but it seemed to work.

Thanks to all who responded.