Frame Size for my Height

andyanansu

Sep 10, 2004
Hi
Maybe this is a very simple question to you lots,
but I've never owned a road bike before.
I've looked at various websites,
they all give different answers to the Frame Size needed for Heights
I'm a 5'5, 165cm tall male,
what frame size do you think will 'perfectly' suit me?
and how do you measure it?
I've also looked at the 'Beginners Guide' in the top of the page,
but it doesn't offerer advice on how do you measure it.
Thanks for all the helps
Andy

DeanC said:
Check out the "get fit" link on http://www.wrenchscience.com/ You'll need someone to help you measure yourself, but it should give you a pretty good idea of seat tube and bar reach...
Dean
Thanks Dean for that good website
it seems that I needs
Frame: C2C 50cm or C2T 51cm
TopTube: 66.87cm
Handlebar: 42cm
Saddle height: 67.28cm

Glad it was helpful. FWIW, the output it gives isn't perfect, but it's a good place to start. For example, it recommends a 54cm C-C or 55cm C-T frame for me, but also wants me to have a 69cm reach to the bars which would take a 150mm stem on a lot of bikes. In practice I find that a 56cm C-C frame works best for me. The stand over clearance isn't as great as a 54cm would be, but I hit my knees on the bars on some 54cm frame when I'm out of the saddle...

Dean

andyanansu said:
it seems that I needs
Hey Andy! That site gave me roughly the same results as you! (I'm 5'6"). The only frame sizes I had to choose from were 48cm and 52cm for the bike I wanted. I got fitted at the LBS and tried out both bikes. I found I could ride either, really. Although, it was much easier to mount and dismount the 48cm frame so that is what I went with. Definitely go try those frame sizes out at your local shop and see which you like best. Personally, I'm glad I went with the smaller frame.

andyanansu said:
it seems that I needs

Are you sure about the top tube length? That's really long. The upper body measurements can be tricky, though.

Most 50-52 cm frames would have top tubes around 52-54cm, so 66cm top tube is HUGE. Or is that total reach, top tube + stem? That would make sense. Top tube length is critical.

I found this fit calculator to be more comprehensive:
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO

Again, it's just a start. Everything was right on for me, but I found the total reach results to be slightly long. I'm 5'6" and ride a 52 w/ a shortish 53cm top tube and 90mm stem. Perfect.

chimivee said:
Are you sure about the top tube length? That's really long. The upper body measurements can be tricky, though.

Most 50-52 cm frames would have top tubes around 52-54cm, so 66cm top tube is HUGE. Or is that total reach, top tube + stem? That would make sense. Top tube length is critical.

I found this fit calculator to be more comprehensive:
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO

Again, it's just a start. Everything was right on for me, but I found the total reach results to be slightly long. I'm 5'6" and ride a 52 w/ a shortish 53cm top tube and 90mm stem. Perfect.
Yes, chimivee, you are right, it's the total reach, I've misinterpreted.

I'm also wondering the conversion between the 'Normal Size' and 'Compact Size' frames

andyanansu said:
Yes, chimivee, you are right, it's the total reach, I've misinterpreted.
That sounds more right... still a bit on the long side. On a 52cm frame, w/ a 53.5cm top tube, you'd need a 130mm stem (most in that size come stock w/ about a 100mm stem). On a 50cm frame, the stem would be even longer.

I'd recheck your body measurements. If you really require that long of a reach, you should get the largest size that you can comfortably straddle - compact frame may be best. Better yet, go try some bikes out.

I'm also wondering the conversion between the 'Normal Size' and 'Compact Size' frames
There often isn't any conversion necessary as compact frames are frequently measured according to the standard frame equivalent. If not, you can usually look up the geometry online to see the "virtual" and/or actual measurements.