Frame Size: Go Large or Small?

Simonb

Guest
I've worked out my frame size to be 59cm (C-C) The frame I'm going for goes
up in 2cm increments. So should I go for 58cm or 60cm?

Simonb wrote:

> I've worked out my frame size to be 59cm (C-C) The frame I'm going for goes
> up in 2cm increments. So should I go for 58cm or 60cm?

58 with a decent seat post. It'll be lighter and stiffer, and more
comfortable to stand astride.

--
Mark.

Simonb <[email protected]> wrote:
: I've worked out my frame size to be 59cm (C-C) The frame I'm going for goes
: up in 2cm increments. So should I go for 58cm or 60cm?

How did you work the size out?

I think modern bikes are best sized by the reach to the bars and the drop
from saddle to bars. Seattube length is pretty irrelevant given the range
of seatposts available but if you get a smaller frame and can't get the
bars high enough, you'll suffer. Ditto if you get one too big and can't
get them low enough.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
- Paulina Borsook

Arthur Clune wrote:
> Simonb <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I've worked out my frame size to be 59cm (C-C) The frame I'm going
>> for goes up in 2cm increments. So should I go for 58cm or 60cm?

> How did you work the size out?

Inside leg * 0.65.

On Fri, 28 May 2004 10:17:56 +0100, "Simonb"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Arthur Clune wrote:
>> Simonb <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> I've worked out my frame size to be 59cm (C-C) The frame I'm going
>>> for goes up in 2cm increments. So should I go for 58cm or 60cm?

>> How did you work the size out?

>Inside leg * 0.65.

Hmm....... educated guess, more or less.

See
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/

for more accurate measurament. Even then it's not exact science, the
best way to do it is to go to a shop that fits it for you. That way
you can feel what's more comfortable.....

BrakePiston wrote:
> On Fri, 28 May 2004 10:17:56 +0100, "Simonb"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Arthur Clune wrote:

>>>How did you work the size out?

>>Inside leg * 0.65.
>>

> Hmm....... educated guess, more or less.
>
> See
> http://www.competitivecyclist.com/
>
> for more accurate measurament. Even then it's not exact science, the
> best way to do it is to go to a shop that fits it for you. That way
> you can feel what's more comfortable.....

If you are spending a fair amount then my advice would be to get
yourself measured by a shop that has Bioracer equipment. Look at
http://www.bikefitting.com Its well worth the money. Otherwise I would
always go for a frame that was slightly small as you can make
adjustments with stem etc. If you get one too big you're stuffed.

Stan Cox