Frame Size: Go Large or Small?

Simonb

Guest
I've worked out my frame size to be 59cm (C-C) The frame
I'm going for goes up in 2cm increments. So should I go for
58cm or 60cm?

Simonb wrote:

> I've worked out my frame size to be 59cm (C-C) The frame
> I'm going for goes up in 2cm increments. So should I go
> for 58cm or 60cm?

58 with a decent seat post. It'll be lighter and stiffer,
and more comfortable to stand astride.

--
Mark.

Simonb <[email protected]> wrote:
: I've worked out my frame size to be 59cm (C-C) The frame
: I'm going for goes up in 2cm increments. So should I go
: for 58cm or 60cm?

How did you work the size out?

I think modern bikes are best sized by the reach to the bars
and the drop from saddle to bars. Seattube length is pretty
irrelevant given the range of seatposts available but if you
get a smaller frame and can't get the bars high enough,
you'll suffer. Ditto if you get one too big and can't get
them low enough.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a
philosophy out of a personality defect"

Arthur Clune wrote:
> Simonb <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I've worked out my frame size to be 59cm (C-C) The frame
>> I'm going for goes up in 2cm increments. So should I go
>> for 58cm or 60cm?
>
> How did you work the size out?

Inside leg * 0.65.

On Fri, 28 May 2004 10:17:56 +0100, "Simonb"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Arthur Clune wrote:
>> Simonb <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>> I've worked out my frame size to be 59cm (C-C) The frame
>>> I'm going for goes up in 2cm increments. So should I go
>>> for 58cm or 60cm?
>>
>> How did you work the size out?
>
>Inside leg * 0.65.

Hmm....... educated guess, more or less.

See http://www.competitivecyclist.com/

for more accurate measurament. Even then it's not exact
science, the best way to do it is to go to a shop that fits
it for you. That way you can feel what's more
comfortable.....

BrakePiston wrote:
> On Fri, 28 May 2004 10:17:56 +0100, "Simonb"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Arthur Clune wrote:
>>
>>>Simonb <[email protected]>

>>>How did you work the size out?
>>
>>Inside leg * 0.65.
>>

> Hmm....... educated guess, more or less.
>
> See http://www.competitivecyclist.com/
>
> for more accurate measurament. Even then it's not exact
> science, the best way to do it is to go to a shop that
> fits it for you. That way you can feel what's more
> comfortable.....

If you are spending a fair amount then my advice would be to
get yourself measured by a shop that has Bioracer equipment.
Look at http://www.bikefitting.com Its well worth the money.
Otherwise I would always go for a frame that was slightly
small as you can make adjustments with stem etc. If you get
one too big you're stuffed.

Stan Cox