Frame sizing question-'05 Litespeed Ultimate

Andrepaul

Sep 15, 2004
When I was being fitted for a bike at my LBS and after having them review my body proportions (5'10.5", 32.5" inseam) the bike shop suggested that my optimum frame size would be a 56cm. Well of course Litespeed only made the '05 Ultimate in a 55 and 57cm so they preferred that I go with the 55cm and use a slightly longer stem (110mm or 120mm) than go with the 57cm with a 100mm stem. My previous bike ('04 Bianchi Giro) was a 57cm but the top tube was so long that I was fitted with a 90mm stem.
Is it the norm to go with the smaller of the two frame sizes when one can't find the nominal size or is this subjective and depend on each person's body?

Andrepaul said:
When I was being fitted for a bike at my LBS and after having them review my body proportions (5'10.5", 32.5" inseam) the bike shop suggested that my optimum frame size would be a 56cm. Well of course Litespeed only made the '05 Ultimate in a 55 and 57cm so they preferred that I go with the 55cm and use a slightly longer stem (110mm or 120mm) than go with the 57cm with a 100mm stem. My previous bike ('04 Bianchi Giro) was a 57cm but the top tube was so long that I was fitted with a 90mm stem.
Is it the norm to go with the smaller of the two frame sizes when one can't find the nominal size or is this subjective and depend on each person's body?
Depends on what works for you. I Generally prefer smaller,assuming the tt doesn't end up too short. Either stem senario is within reason.

Andrepaul said:

Most would go with the smaller of the two. Slightly less weight and a lower standover height and theoretically maybe a little stiffer (although and Ultimate is plenty stiff in any size). I happen to be almost exactly your height and inseam size, and my bikes are 55-56, with stems ranging from 100-130 depending on the slight differences in top tube length.

I prefer to go bigger. But, then I am 50 and have issues with my neck. By going bigger I get a higher stem/handle bars. I am about you same size and ride a 59cm.

--Jeff