frame stiffness quantified?

Originally Posted by KLabs .

Hi Sleeping menace, what is your comparision of the BB30 BB and the Hollowtech II BB :)

FTR: the frame we're designing at the moment, we've gone with BB86 for the BB fitment, and will very likely use FSA cranks/BB for all the testing. I've not played much with the Hollowtech ll variants

Interestingly, on Fri night, a friend had ANOTHER Shimano BB fail on him. Tha'ts 3 in 3 years.. yet he's religious about the brand. I think, personally, that Shimano needs to have a serious rethink of their higher end groupsets. Yes, I know they're everywhere at the moment, the 105 is a good workhorse, does what it says on the box for short money, but at the upper end of the spectrum, SRAM's RED is handing Shimano its' own ****. The real competition now is between SRAM and Campy. Shimano still has momentum, but not for long unless they do something useful. As previously discussed in this, and many other forums.. you can pay through the **** for DA, which is ok for race day, though heavier than SRAM and offering nothing in return for the extra weight, or you can go Ultegra..gain a bit more weight but gain back the missing durability from DA .. That's really not at all ideal.
*yes..I know. I can hear the howls from the "I just paid XXXX for my DA groupset and blah blah blah" crowd already*

http://anotherdooratthe.endoftheinternet.org

Cycle related blog entries, including a few 5 minute reviews:
http://anotherdooratthe.endoftheinternet.org/category/cycling/

Originally Posted by Motobecane .

regarding cleaning, I live in a 5th floor walkup so I can relate to not haveing a garden hose. if I do clean my bike indoors, I have an old beach towel that I put down on the floor and then I either flip the bike upside down or I mount it into my trainer to stand it up and then just a small bucket of soapy water. i don't have any fancy brushes, but there aren't many times I wish I did. I'd say overall i probably spend about 10-15 minutes. if this were after every single ride, I'm sure I'd skip it, but since I don't go out on this bike in the rain all that often it's not a big deal. And considering the infrequency I wash my hardwood floors, spilling anything on the floors isn't too big of a deal.

To the person who asked about dura ace for $2000 Bikes direct is a no frills, low overhead company. They aren't known for having great customer support and as a result if you don't know your way wrenching around bikes I wouldn't totally recommend going through them but at the same time most lbs will charge you $50 to assemble and then you pay them on a one off basis for any other work. LBS near me are quick to hype up "lifetime free adjustments" but cmon, is it worth paying an extra $1-$2000 for the bike? I don't think so. I have a bikes direct bike with pretty much full ultegra for $1000. your lucky to get a tiagra/105 mix at that price point in an lbs.
Can you post a link to their website?