Frame Talk

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Peter, Mar 15, 2003.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    I have always read and overheard talk but never really took it all in, but now when I'm shopping
    around its worth knowing.

    Assistance appreciated ...

    Benefits of triple-butted heat treated TIG-welded compared to double butted. Benefits of a frame
    with a replace end? Then, what are the benefits of a frame with replace-end & carbon swingarm
    compared to a frame with a replace-end?

    Are there any links where I can read about this?

    Although I would very much like to hear your thoughts on the above.

    Thanks in advance.

    --
    Peter __o `\ < (*) (*) See you out there

    Tags:

  2. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have always read and overheard talk but never really took it all in, but now when I'm shopping
    > around its worth knowing.
    >
    > Assistance appreciated ...
    >
    > Benefits of triple-butted heat treated TIG-welded compared to double
    butted.
    > Benefits of a frame with a replace end? Then, what are the benefits of a frame with replace-end &
    > carbon swingarm compared to a frame with a replace-end?
    >
    > Are there any links where I can read about this?
    >
    > Although I would very much like to hear your thoughts on the above.

    "Triple Butted" and "Quad Butted" are marketing enhancements from normal butted tubes. If a standard
    tube is 0.9-0.6-0.9, a "Triple Butted" version might be 0.9-0.6-0.85 or some such, just enough
    "different" to warrant the sticker. And it sure _sounds_ like you're getting 50% more "technology"
    doesn't it? See also Suzy's excellent post about "faster cornering".

  3. On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 02:09:40 -0500, Peter wrote:

    > Benefits of triple-butted heat treated TIG-welded compared to double butted.

    Minimal, IMO Triple-butted just refers to the fact that the ends are of different wall thickness,
    and the middle is thinner than either end. The ends still have to be thick enough to weld, so won't
    be all that thin.

    > Benefits of a frame with a replace end?

    Replacable derailleur hangers can turn a disaster into a nuisance, if you snap off your derailleur
    hanger -- it can happen.

    > Then, what are the benefits of a frame with replace-end & carbon swingarm compared to a frame with
    >a replace-end?

    Sorry, I don't know what a carbon swing-arm is.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | What is objectionable, and what is dangerous about extremists is _`\(,_ | not that they are
    extreme, but that they are intolerant. (_)/ (_) | --Robert F. Kennedy