Frame upgrade versus Component upgrade

donnercruz

Aug 18, 2004
I'm looking at buying a new bike. One of the many on my list is the Calfees.

A Luna Frame runs $1295, the Tetra $1995.

If I built up a Luna with Dura Ace or a Tetra with Ultegra, it seems that the final price of the build up would be similar.

Is it better to spend more on the frame or more on the components?

For just a components/frame comparison, I'd say you get more return for money spent on components. The components make the bike go, stop, hopefully in time, give you a way to control the bike and a place to mount all kinds of cool gizmos and give you somewhere to sit while you're doing all this. All the frame really does is hold everything together. For more money spent on a frame all you get is lighter weight and maybe, maybe not, stronger and more or less flex.

In other words, a good frame with low end components is going to pedal, shift, brake and handle like a low end bike. A decent, but relatively cheaper frame, with better components is going to behave like a better bike.

I vote for a middle of the road frame and better components.:)

A good frame will last a lot more years and miles than any components ever will. The components can be upgrade piecemeal either as your budget allows or as they wear. If you get a frame that you are less than happy with the ride or handling of then.......

True that. My above post was assuming starting with a frame that fits and that the rider is happy with.:)

I'm of the opinion that if you are looking to upgrade an existing bike that you plan to continue riding, upgrade some of its components. These things can then be transferred over to a new bike. When you're ready to begin planning for and building a new bike, start with the frame - get the model/make you want, get fit for it etc. I'd also put the bulk of my budget in the frame. The components you can get one by one to finish the bike, or even plan on upgrading them later.

SpearSlinger1 said:
In other words, a good frame with low end components is going to pedal, shift, brake and handle like a low end bike. A decent, but relatively cheaper frame, with better components is going to behave like a better bike.
BS....except for wheels,I'll take a top end frame and lower end parts any day. But once you reach a certain point like the Calfees mentioned the real difference in frames isn't that much an issue,as it's probably more about just weight.

If forced to make the choice, put your money in components. You will notice and appreciate the difference every time you ride.

For example, in the Shimano line, there is nothing even close to Dura-Ace components. The extra money buys a lot of quality and performance, but the difference between a $2000 and $3000 frame may be almost indistinguishable with the same components. In fact, you might even prefer the ride characteristics of the less expensive frame.