Frame upgrade

Javier

Guest
This may sound like a stupid question but I've been back on my road
bike for about five months now and I'm wondering what reasons would
justify a new frame and fork purchase? Not like I'm going to replace my
new road bike any time soon, it should last me many, many years. I'm
just wondering what criteria most serious riders use when deciding to
drop some hard earned cash on a new frame and fork? To be honest if it
were in my budget I would have picked up a trek 5200 or Cervelo R3 but
my budget wouldn't stretch that far at the time.

Javier

Javier wrote:
> This may sound like a stupid question but I've been back on my road
> bike for about five months now and I'm wondering what reasons would
> justify a new frame and fork purchase? Not like I'm going to replace my
> new road bike any time soon, it should last me many, many years. I'm
> just wondering what criteria most serious riders use when deciding to
> drop some hard earned cash on a new frame and fork? To be honest if it
> were in my budget I would have picked up a trek 5200 or Cervelo R3 but
> my budget wouldn't stretch that far at the time.
>
> Javier

Mostly the 'feel good' factor or when it's broken.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

"Javier" wrote:
> This may sound like a stupid question but I've been back on my road
> bike for about five months now and I'm wondering what reasons would
> justify a new frame and fork purchase?

Probably no good reason. The main criteria for a frame are proper fit, and
suitable geometry, handling, and tire clearance for the type of riding you
do. Saving a pound or two isn't going to make much difference, nor will
exotic materials.

Ride you bike and enjoy it!

> To be honest if it
> were in my budget I would have picked up a trek 5200 or Cervelo R3

Why? What would those bikes do that your (un-named) bike won't?

Art Harris

The frame I had did not suit my needs. I was using a race-inspired bike as a
commuter, but it didn't have clearance for fatter tires, nor did it have
rack and fender eyelets. So, I built up another bike that is more
appropriate. I still have the racer, though.

Javier wrote:
> This may sound like a stupid question but I've been back on my road
> bike for about five months now and I'm wondering what reasons would
> justify a new frame and fork purchase? Not like I'm going to replace my
> new road bike any time soon, it should last me many, many years. I'm
> just wondering what criteria most serious riders use when deciding to
> drop some hard earned cash on a new frame and fork? To be honest if it
> were in my budget I would have picked up a trek 5200 or Cervelo R3 but
> my budget wouldn't stretch that far at the time.

I'll ride a road frame and fork forever, wheels, too, as long as they're
structurally sound. For full suspension mtn bikes after pivots and
bushings start getting sloppy and a new interesting design comes out
I'll start thinking about a new frame and/or fork.

Greg
--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine

On 2 Jan 2006 10:30:19 -0800, "Javier" <[email protected]> wrote:

>This may sound like a stupid question but I've been back on my road
>bike for about five months now and I'm wondering what reasons would
>justify a new frame and fork purchase? Not like I'm going to replace my
>new road bike any time soon, it should last me many, many years. I'm
>just wondering what criteria most serious riders use when deciding to
>drop some hard earned cash on a new frame and fork? To be honest if it
>were in my budget I would have picked up a trek 5200 or Cervelo R3 but
>my budget wouldn't stretch that far at the time.

"I want it, I want it, I want it! Moooooom!"

Jasper

Hey Art,

I plan on enjoying my bike as much as possible once the season starts
again. I purchased it in late August so now I'm on my trainer six days
per week. As soon as the weather breaks I'm hitting the road.
Espaically since I get out of work at 3PM from July to September. :)

I love my 2006 Trek 1200, besides the saddle it's stock and rides
great. It's gotten lighter since I lost nearly 40 pounds since I got
it. :)

The reason I asked about frame upgrades is because I keep hearing how
much better carbon is than aluminum so I'm wondering if I should have
some how squeezed out the extra cash for an all carbon bike. I spoke
with one guy and he said that when he switched from his 1200 to a
carbon 5200 he immediately felt like he could ride longer and doing
centuries without a problem. I don't know how much of that was in his
head, but I also don't know of anyone that will lend me a carbon bike
for a weekend or two so I can compare the ride.

On 2 Jan 2006 10:30:19 -0800, "Javier" <[email protected]> wrote:

>This may sound like a stupid question but I've been back on my road
>bike for about five months now and I'm wondering what reasons would
>justify a new frame and fork purchase? Not like I'm going to replace my
>new road bike any time soon, it should last me many, many years. I'm
>just wondering what criteria most serious riders use when deciding to
>drop some hard earned cash on a new frame and fork? To be honest if it
>were in my budget I would have picked up a trek 5200 or Cervelo R3 but
>my budget wouldn't stretch that far at the time.

The first step in answering this question is defining the goals of
your riding. Information about what you are currently riding is
essential too.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

Javier wrote:

> The reason I asked about frame upgrades is because I keep hearing how
> much better carbon is than aluminum so I'm wondering if I should have
> some how squeezed out the extra cash for an all carbon bike. I spoke
> with one guy and he said that when he switched from his 1200 to a
> carbon 5200 he immediately felt like he could ride longer and doing
> centuries without a problem. I don't know how much of that was in his
> head, but I also don't know of anyone that will lend me a carbon bike
> for a weekend or two so I can compare the ride.

I suspect that 99% of it was in his head. If aluminum frames are "bad"
then why did DeLuca win the Pro Tour on one? It didn't even have carbon
stays! And if you think they don't care about comfort... you're wrong.
After 200km he would not stand much of a chance if his bike was beating
him to death.

Aluminum is a fine frame material if the build is good. Same with
carbon... even steel. I prefer titanium mostly because it doesn't
corrode, and I like the shiny bronze/silver finish.

Bike frames simply don't effect the ride very much... to do that they
would have to flex in the vertical direction. Pump up your tires and
then press down on the top of the top tube at the seat cluster as hard
as you can. Feel any flex? What little you do feel is from the tire.
Now press on the seat as hard as you can... then try the brake hoods.

There are parts on a bike that provide a noticable amount of vertical
flex... but the frame isn't one of them.

> Bike frames simply don't effect the ride very much... to do that they
> would have to flex in the vertical direction.

Bike frames affect the *perception* of the ride very much, and perception
has a lot to do with how well someone performs. My guess is that most of the
difference comes from acoustic feedback, which is the one thing that
virtually everyone agrees with (that different frames sound differently).
And put me in the camp of the deluded who honestly feel they can ride much
further on a carbon frame without having that feeling of being run into the
ground... basically, a 200k ride is no big deal for my arms, shoulders &
butt... which has not been the case on my steel & aluminum frames. Am I
imagining it? Maybe, but it works for me.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

"Ron Ruff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Javier wrote:
>
>> The reason I asked about frame upgrades is because I keep hearing how
>> much better carbon is than aluminum so I'm wondering if I should have
>> some how squeezed out the extra cash for an all carbon bike. I spoke
>> with one guy and he said that when he switched from his 1200 to a
>> carbon 5200 he immediately felt like he could ride longer and doing
>> centuries without a problem. I don't know how much of that was in his
>> head, but I also don't know of anyone that will lend me a carbon bike
>> for a weekend or two so I can compare the ride.

> I suspect that 99% of it was in his head. If aluminum frames are "bad"
> then why did DeLuca win the Pro Tour on one? It didn't even have carbon
> stays! And if you think they don't care about comfort... you're wrong.
> After 200km he would not stand much of a chance if his bike was beating
> him to death.
>
> Aluminum is a fine frame material if the build is good. Same with
> carbon... even steel. I prefer titanium mostly because it doesn't
> corrode, and I like the shiny bronze/silver finish.
>
> Bike frames simply don't effect the ride very much... to do that they
> would have to flex in the vertical direction. Pump up your tires and
> then press down on the top of the top tube at the seat cluster as hard
> as you can. Feel any flex? What little you do feel is from the tire.
> Now press on the seat as hard as you can... then try the brake hoods.
>
> There are parts on a bike that provide a noticable amount of vertical
> flex... but the frame isn't one of them.
>

>I have to wait until my wife isn't looking... :)

As affairs go, a new bike frame is less-expensive and presumably (although
not necessarily) less threatening to your marriage than the alternative.

Javier wrote:
> This may sound like a stupid question but I've been back on my road
> bike for about five months now and I'm wondering what reasons would
> justify a new frame and fork purchase? Not like I'm going to replace my
> new road bike any time soon, it should last me many, many years. I'm
> just wondering what criteria most serious riders use when deciding to
> drop some hard earned cash on a new frame and fork? To be honest if it
> were in my budget I would have picked up a trek 5200 or Cervelo R3 but
> my budget wouldn't stretch that far at the time.

Only reason is that the one you have now is broken or doesn't fit. The
ya-yas to buy one is in a different catagory. I bought a Merck MXLeader
cuz it was cool but it didn't work any better than the Nobilette or
DeRosa I had.

Javier wrote:
> I love my 2006 Trek 1200, besides the saddle it's stock and rides
> great. It's gotten lighter since I lost nearly 40 pounds since I got
> it. :)
>
> The reason I asked about frame upgrades is because I keep hearing how
> much better carbon is than aluminum so I'm wondering if I should have
> some how squeezed out the extra cash for an all carbon bike. I spoke
> with one guy and he said that when he switched from his 1200 to a
> carbon 5200 he immediately felt like he could ride longer and doing
> centuries without a problem. I don't know how much of that was in his
> head, but I also don't know of anyone that will lend me a carbon bike
> for a weekend or two so I can compare the ride.

So many other things could explain why he could ride farther,
easier..No material is automatically 'better' than another. All have
goods and others...but fit is the key, all else is mostly part of the
'noise'.

My wife is cool but if I upgrade my frame right now I would get a bit
of an attitude. With a newborn, riding and work my wife would die
laughing if I told her I had a girlfriend, theres no time for a GF. :)

Besides, you're right, a frame is less expensive than a divorce.

Javier

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
>This may sound like a stupid question but I've been back on my road
>bike for about five months now and I'm wondering what reasons would
>justify a new frame and fork purchase?

If you can afford it, that is reason enough.

>Not like I'm going to replace my
>new road bike any time soon, it should last me many, many years. I'm
>just wondering what criteria most serious riders use when deciding to
>drop some hard earned cash on a new frame and fork?

Fashion and price are the two biggest factors. Better fit is a distant
third.
------------
Alex

In article
<[email protected]>,
"Javier" <[email protected]> wrote:

> My wife is cool but if I upgrade my frame right now I would get a bit
> of an attitude. With a newborn, riding and work my wife would die
> laughing if I told her I had a girlfriend, theres no time for a GF. :)
>
> Besides, you're right, a frame is less expensive than a divorce.

Replying to your original post, `what justifies a new
frame' is that the current frame does not fit. In your
circumstances determine what does fit, start looking for a
frame that is so good, and the fit so good, and the price
so good, that it cannot be passed. Buy the frame,
transpose what components are appropriate, and sell the
current frame, since the current frame does not fit.
Mention now to your wife that you have started looking.
Eventually the right frame will come around.

All this is predicated upon the current frame not fitting.
You need to become thoroughly educated to frame fit, and
not just a couple of web pages.

In the circumstances, if the current frame fits you, I
cannot help.

In article
<[email protected]>,
"Javier" <[email protected]> wrote:

> This may sound like a stupid question but I've been back on my road
> bike for about five months now and I'm wondering what reasons would
> justify a new frame and fork purchase? Not like I'm going to replace my
> new road bike any time soon, it should last me many, many years. I'm
> just wondering what criteria most serious riders use when deciding to
> drop some hard earned cash on a new frame and fork? To be honest if it
> were in my budget I would have picked up a trek 5200 or Cervelo R3 but
> my budget wouldn't stretch that far at the time.

--
Michael Press

I'm reminded of a very long ride I was on with some friends a few
summers ago, where one guy was saying how he was lusting for a new
frame but had no reason to get one. We were stopped for a few minutes
on the side of the road about 45 miles from home and I was looking at
his current bike and noticed a little crack in the downtube. He was
so happy!

JT

Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com