Frame warranty questions...

Merlin

Jun 14, 2002
Hi all,

I own a Trek, which I've had from new.

The frame is quite old now ('99), and is now bending - through no fault of my own, and not due to crash damage.

My last major crash was almost 2 years ago.

The bend is not bad, at the moment just a few degrees, but it is visible, and a worry to me. What if...

The distributor has agreed to see my frame, and I have my original invoices, etc.

The frame in question uses an e-type front mech, ie: mounts to the BB.

My questions...

1. Should I take off the bearing cups/headset, and saddle clamp?

2. Does the responsibility lie on Trek's shoulders to supply me with an equivalent quality/type frame, should mine not be available, AND should Trek make sure that the frame fits my existing componentry?

ie: Should they make sure that my e-type mech fits to the new frame, and if not, make arrangements to supply me with an equivalent one that does fit, at no cost to me? Other parts that come to mind include the rear shock, etc.

NB: My frame is still first-owner-owned, not damaged due to crash/bad use, and is covered by a lifetime warranty, by the mnfr.

Thanks, N.

What model Trek is it?

I'm not familiar with the warranties on other Trek models, but I know the carbon frames are warranted for life, and Trek is usually very good at replacing them. Since you said you have an e-type FD, I'll assume it's a carbon mountain bike.

Trek *should* replace the frame, but you'll have to strip it bare before you take it to your LBS to have them ship it back (best to find an LBS that deals with Trek and have them deal with shipping, but I think you'll still have to pay the shipping charge - around $40). Everything has to come off - components, any cable guides, seat collar, headset, etc.

I just went through this on my road bike, but it's worth it once you've got the brand new frame. Good luck!

P.S. My road frame was a '93, and they still replaced it, so age isn't really an issue.

cydewaze said:
What model Trek is it?

I'm not familiar with the warranties on other Trek models, but I know the carbon frames are warranted for life, and Trek is usually very good at replacing them. Since you said you have an e-type FD, I'll assume it's a carbon mountain bike.

Trek *should* replace the frame, but you'll have to strip it bare before you take it to your LBS to have them ship it back (best to find an LBS that deals with Trek and have them deal with shipping, but I think you'll still have to pay the shipping charge - around $40). Everything has to come off - components, any cable guides, seat collar, headset, etc.

I just went through this on my road bike, but it's worth it once you've got the brand new frame. Good luck!

P.S. My road frame was a '93, and they still replaced it, so age isn't really an issue.

Hi cyclewaze,

It's an Aluminium frame, a VRX to be precise.

I'm dealing direct with the distributors, not an LBS, so that help.s, too I 'spose. :]

Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it goes.

N.

OK, I had the LBS strip the frame bare 'cept for the linkage and associated bolts/nuts...

The distributor took a look, agreed, and has sent off something or other to Trek HQ - I'm in South Africa.

I should hear something in a week or so -looovely. :-/

To the truly well-informed among us...

If Trek cannot/does not offer me another VRX frame, what would be an acceptable equivalent from their current range?

Thanks, N.

Merlin said:
OK, I had the LBS strip the frame bare 'cept for the linkage and associated bolts/nuts...

The distributor took a look, agreed, and has sent off something or other to Trek HQ - I'm in South Africa.

I should hear something in a week or so -looovely. :-/

To the truly well-informed among us...

If Trek cannot/does not offer me another VRX frame, what would be an acceptable equivalent from their current range?

Thanks, N.

OK, Trek USA has responded to a seperate email of mine asking what the equivalent was, and if they can do a discount deal...

Amazing, 1 day. They are improving!

I am probably entitled to a Fuel frame, although we're not sure which, yet.

OR...a dollar-amount-off kind of deal.

We'll see...I'm going to ask for a deal on the one frame I'm interested in out of their catalogue, which isn't Fuel.

NEXT problem...

If they offer me a Fuel, the bike comes with disc-only mounts. The VRX came with, and still has, V-brakes.

Now, seeing as how I purchased the bike with the brakes, and that the frame is offered with the lifetime warranty, and they cannot now honour that warranty with the same frame...

ALSO, the bike (Fuel) will not accomodate the original rear shock found on the VRX...

I have no money, or intention of spending my money on a new shock, and discs to fit the Fuel, should that be what they offer me...

What do you think, and what would you do?

Thanks, N.

why should Trek warranty a frame you openly admit to crashing ? they are designed to be ridden not crashed. Of course the design incorporates the ability to withstand impacts but maybe you have been breathing some strange gases to think you are entitled to a new product becasue you cant stay on your bike.

I can just imagine someone like you taking their car back to the showroom two years later and explaining that you hits a few other cars and a wall and rolled it over a couple of time but you think Ford should now replace the bodywork and chasis for you :eek:

what a pratt

stevfenton said:
why should Trek warranty a frame you openly admit to crashing ? they are designed to be ridden not crashed. Of course the design incorporates the ability to withstand impacts but maybe you have been breathing some strange gases to think you are entitled to a new product becasue you cant stay on your bike.

I can just imagine someone like you taking their car back to the showroom two years later and explaining that you hits a few other cars and a wall and rolled it over a couple of time but you think Ford should now replace the bodywork and chasis for you :eek:

what a pratt

I'm truly amazed Stev,

You must be the first person ever not to have ever fallen off of your bike.

How do you do it? Have you ever ridden offroad?

The 'crash' in question involved my front wheel hitting a rise in the trail, and me leaving my bike for some hang-time.

I don't take kindly to insults, pr*ck.

Merlin said:
I'm truly amazed Stev,

You must be the first person ever not to have ever fallen off of your bike.

How do you do it? Have you ever ridden offroad?

The 'crash' in question involved my front wheel hitting a rise in the trail, and me leaving my bike for some hang-time.

I don't take kindly to insults, pr*ck.
Why should a manufacturer be responsible for your incompatence like I said I can just imagine a ******** like you going into a car showroom - you would be the best laugh they had in ages - keep pulling the meat and dont fall off your chair.

Pricks are useful if you know how to use them.

I think a better analogy is if one were to have purchased an off-road vehicle that was advertized as being off-road worthy, and while you were bouncing down your favorite dirt road, an axle broke. Some level of abuse is to be expected with a mountain bike.

It's up to Trek whether they decide to warranty the bike or not. The rep will look at the frame and decide whether it's abuse or not. That's what they do. We can't judge whether it's abuse or not, because we haven't seen the bike and we weren't there to watch the incident.

I don't see the problem really. It would be one thing if Merlin tried to pretend the bike broke while he was cruising down the bike path, but he's being honest about the circumstances.

so being honest he should accept the frame is worn or damaged due to his riding and not due to the fact he thinks trek should be making indestructable frames and buy a new one.

We have a 2 year crash replacement on our frames so it means the riders who do crash can buy a new frame at half price and it avoids us dealing with wankers who want something for nothing even though they know full well they are trying to screw someone.

Having been a rider for some 31 years and broken more than my fair share of parts and frames and boy do I have the scars to prove it, it never ceases to amaze me how society has changed into suppliers giving goods to consumers they know have abused them to avoid bad publicity.

stevfenton said:
so being honest he should accept the frame is worn or damaged due to his riding and not due to the fact he thinks trek should be making indestructable frames and buy a new one.

We have a 2 year crash replacement on our frames so it means the riders who do crash can buy a new frame at half price and it avoids us dealing with wankers who want something for nothing even though they know full well they are trying to screw someone.

Having been a rider for some 31 years and broken more than my fair share of parts and frames and boy do I have the scars to prove it, it never ceases to amaze me how society has changed into suppliers giving goods to consumers they know have abused them to avoid bad publicity.

This is growing tiresome.

Let me throw some facts your way Stev,

Firstly, the crash I speak of was witnessed by a fellow rider, and the impact was taken by me & my handlebars. Would you like my old bar as proof?

I know and have dealt with the distributors numerous times for various things, and as such, they know my bike, and have seen it a few times since the crash.

I mentioned the crash because that is the last big thing to have happened to my bike, and was mentioned because I could not think of anything else, besides perhaps metal fatigue which could have caused this.

The bike has been ridden thousands of kilometres since, both leisurely, and in competition (XC only).

I have a good reputation with most of the bike shops in my city, and many distributors of various items, not to mention the biking media, and industry contacts in my country. Most have known, and/or worked with me over the years, and as such have a good idea of me, my riding, and my bike maintentance. I can assure you, it is without fault. I'm unfalteringly sure that all of my informal bike repair customers will testify to this.

I have spoken with the distributors about paying in to upgrade, so please, keep your comments to yourself.

You do not know me, or my bike, so keep your thoughts to yourself.

N.

Oh well. I don't see what there is to argue about. It's Trek's call as to whether or not to replace Merlin's frame. They're the ones who get to decide whether it's abuse or fatigue, and whether or not that fatigue is consistent with normal wear and tear over the lifespan of the bike.

When I brought my old OCLV road bike into the LBS for inspection (the BB shell came unbonded) I expected to be in the market for a new frame. My question was whether or not the frame could be repaired. The Trek rep asked that the frame be stripped down and sent in, and after they examined it, they decided on their own to replace the frame. I wasn't going to argue, but it wasn't what I expected. After 12 years and 30,000+ miles, I felt I had gotten a good lifespan out of that frame. Replacing a frame doesn't seem to be much of a problem for them.

A few weeks after I got my replacement bike, I ran into the Trek rep at the LBS. I thanked him for his company's generosity in replacing my frame. He smiled and said, "That's what a lifetime warranty is for, right?"

If Trek wants to replace Merlin's frame, that's their decision. We can argue about the ethics of it, but it's Trek's call to make.

checked with a few people who do know you and yes you are a sponging **** who thinks he can walk on water, will advise Trek accordingly

You've had 4 posts to date from joining the forum, and in each one of them, you've slagged off merlin, who, as far as I can see, has a valid reason for getting a new frame under the warranty. You appear to be a ****-stirrer.:rolleyes:

shannons dad said:
You've had 4 posts to date from joining the forum, and in each one of them, you've slagged off merlin, who, as far as I can see, has a valid reason for getting a new frame under the warranty. You appear to be a ****-stirrer.:rolleyes:

Better than been a wazack from upt borltun way like yoo no, living on **** beer and Hollands meat pies. Owts yer lass doin mate.

stevfenton said:
Better than been a wazack from upt borltun way like yoo no, living on **** beer and Hollands meat pies. Owts yer lass doin mate.
I'm Irish thanks. And we paddys live on Guinness, probably one of the best beers ever. The wee woman's fine so far, but unless she finds that secret stash of semtex, she'll be beaten with a stick!:cool:

stevfenton said:
Ho be hezuz will ya, da black stud ts ok until you wake up wid da brain damage. Its dat bloody liffy shite dey put init.

top o der mourin to dya lass

Is that top notch shop still in Bolton - I think his name was Martin - really nice guy.

Is Parkers still selling tons of bikes.

Won one of my first races as a kid in Bolton - Queens Park - ******* of hill in it when you 15 years old

stevfenton said:
Ho be hezuz will ya, da black stud ts ok until you wake up wid da brain damage. Its dat bloody liffy shite dey put init.

top o der mourin to dya lass

Is that top notch shop still in Bolton - I think his name was Martin - really nice guy.

Is Parkers still selling tons of bikes.

Won one of my first races as a kid in Bolton - Queens Park - ******* of hill in it when you 15 years old
Which shop? The 2 best are Geoff Smith Cycles on St Helens Rd, he's still in business, and MK Cycles on Tonge Moor Rd owned by Mike and still pretty bloody busy. Top notch service. Parkers, unfortunately, are still sellin' shite with equally shite service, not one of 'em can tell the difference between a spoke nipple and a frame! They no doubt had their brains screwed out by all the hookers on Shiffnal St!:D No big hills in Queens Park. Do you mean the big black hill covered by trees in Leverhulme Park? Giving it some welly up that can destroy the average humans legs! Bolton Mountain Bikes organized a few races there.

shannons dad said:
Which shop? The 2 best are Geoff Smith Cycles on St Helens Rd, he's still in business, and MK Cycles on Tonge Moor Rd owned by Mike and still pretty bloody busy. Top notch service. Parkers, unfortunately, are still sellin' shite with equally shite service, not one of 'em can tell the difference between a spoke nipple and a frame! They no doubt had their brains screwed out by all the hookers on Shiffnal St!:D No big hills in Queens Park. Do you mean the big black hill covered by trees in Leverhulme Park? Giving it some welly up that can destroy the average humans legs! Bolton Mountain Bikes organized a few races there.
I remember Mike he was a customer many years ago but I think he sold one of his shops which became Bolton Mountain Bikes.

Yes those nice ladies on Shiffnall Street, I remember when I was first trying to locate Parkers I had to ask directions and boy did I get some funny looks from passing motorists as the car I was driving had Coyote bikes written all over it and a freephone #.

I remember one of my colleagues went over and as he was getting out of the car this nice lady smiled at him and he is Mr friendly 24/7. He thought mmmm nice lady she likes me. She stops and says are her for business and he says yes actually I am. She then thinks wow that was easy until he asks how do you get into Pasrkers.

Actually I am sure its Queens parks, the circuit was on a large loop a=on two levels and the bit in between was a really steep climb/ descent.

I do recall Leverhulme park also and that was flat I think with football pitches and bowling greens as I had a tussle in a criterium and took a guy out with the old elbow routine going into a 90 degree corner and he went down on the gravel and then onto the grass to end up from ankle to shoulder in dog **** and the St Johns refused to treat him