framebuilders newsgroup?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Nate Knutson, Mar 29, 2006.

  1. Nate Knutson

    Nate Knutson Guest

    Robert Dyke wrote:
    > Hey ... I've lost the link to the framebuilders newsgroup. Can somebody
    > post that for me?
    >
    > Thanks!

    AFAIK you could only be talking about the framebuilders list -
    www.bikelist.org .

    Tags:

  2. Robert Dyke

    Robert Dyke Guest

    Hey ... I've lost the link to the framebuilders newsgroup. Can somebody
    post that for me?

    Thanks!

  3. Robert Dyke

    Robert Dyke Guest

    No ... there was also a newsgroup, like this one that you could access
    through your email program. Basically, it's always been called the
    framebuilders newsgroup.

    "Nate Knutson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Robert Dyke wrote:
    > > Hey ... I've lost the link to the framebuilders newsgroup. Can somebody
    > > post that for me?
    > >
    > > Thanks!

    > AFAIK you could only be talking about the framebuilders list -
    > www.bikelist.org .

  4. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Robert Dyke" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > No ... there was also a newsgroup, like this one that you could
    > access through your email program. Basically, it's always been
    > called the framebuilders newsgroup.

    That would be a mailing list. Usenet is a different animal. Some mail
    clients can also do Usenet.

    AFAIK there is not nor ever has been a Usenet newsgroup for
    framebuilders. There is at least one Web board, the Frame Builder's
    Forum or something like that, and there is the frame builder's mailing
    list through www.bikelist.org.

  5. Robert Dyke

    Robert Dyke Guest

    Sorry for the confusion I've created.

    I'm talking about a newsgroup, not an email list. I'm using Outlook
    Express, which is able to read and respond to newsgroups, like
    rec.bicycles.tech

    There is another newsgroup, just like this one, that focuses on
    framebuilding.

    Does anybody know the address of the framebuilder's newsgroup?

    Thanks!

    -Robert

    "Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Robert Dyke" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > No ... there was also a newsgroup, like this one that you could
    > > access through your email program. Basically, it's always been
    > > called the framebuilders newsgroup.

    > That would be a mailing list. Usenet is a different animal. Some mail
    > clients can also do Usenet.
    >
    > AFAIK there is not nor ever has been a Usenet newsgroup for
    > framebuilders. There is at least one Web board, the Frame Builder's
    > Forum or something like that, and there is the frame builder's mailing
    > list through www.bikelist.org.

  6. Paul Hobson

    Paul Hobson Guest

    Robert Dyke wrote:
    > Sorry for the confusion I've created.
    >
    > I'm talking about a newsgroup, not an email list. I'm using Outlook
    > Express, which is able to read and respond to newsgroups, like
    > rec.bicycles.tech
    >
    > There is another newsgroup, just like this one, that focuses on
    > framebuilding.
    >
    > Does anybody know the address of the framebuilder's newsgroup?

    go to www.groups.google.com and search for it. Once you figure out its
    exact name, then go to OE and subscribe to it.

    OE should also allow you to search for groups within some sort of
    "manage subscriptions" menu.
    \\paul

  7. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Robert Dyke" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > "Robert Dyke" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > > No ... there was also a newsgroup, like this one that you could
    > > > access through your email program. Basically, it's always been
    > > > called the framebuilders newsgroup.

    > > That would be a mailing list. Usenet is a different animal. Some mail
    > > clients can also do Usenet.
    > >
    > > AFAIK there is not nor ever has been a Usenet newsgroup for
    > > framebuilders. There is at least one Web board, the Frame Builder's
    > > Forum or something like that, and there is the frame builder's mailing
    > > list through www.bikelist.org.

    > Sorry for the confusion I've created.
    >
    > I'm talking about a newsgroup, not an email list. I'm using Outlook
    > Express, which is able to read and respond to newsgroups, like
    > rec.bicycles.tech

    I checked through the 33,178 Usenet newsgroups available through my
    server and there are no newsgroups about framebuilding. I search via
    Google. Ain't nothing out there other than:

    http://frameforum.net/

    > There is another newsgroup, just like this one, that focuses on
    > framebuilding.

    Check the full group list of the news server offered by your ISP. There
    may be something offered locally that is not distributed worldwide.

    > Does anybody know the address of the framebuilder's newsgroup?

    As I said previously, it appears that it doesn't exist. I've been
    participating in Usenet forums for >10 years and have never seen it
    mentioned on any of the rec.bicycles.* newsgroups.

  8. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Robert Dyke wrote:
    > Sorry for the confusion I've created.
    >
    > I'm talking about a newsgroup, not an email list.

    Not that I've ever seen. And the news providers I've used in the past
    have carried a hell of a lot of non-standard newsgroups.

    Maybe the one you were on was on a private server, though.

    Greg

    --
    "All my time I spent in heaven
    Revelries of dance and wine

  9. Larry Coon

    Larry Coon Guest

    Paul Hobson wrote:

    > go to www.groups.google.com and search for it. Once you figure out its
    > exact name, then go to OE and subscribe to it.

    ....assuming it exists, and if it does, assuming his ISP (or
    news provider) carries it. I just took a look on Google
    Groups, and didn't see any mention of one. There could be
    a newsgroup on somebody's self-contained server somewhere,
    but Google Groups usually picks those up.

    Larry Coon
    University of California

  10. Robert Dyke

    Robert Dyke Guest

    Sorry again for asking a question that couldn't be answered. I called my
    ISP, and they told me it was a group that they had sponsored. It was run by
    a guy who worked there, and when he left, they took the group down.

    I'll use the framebuilders' list instead. Thanks for trying to help.

    -Robert

    "Robert Dyke" <[email protected]> wrote in

  11. [email protected] wrote:
    > www.groups.google.com
    > fun fun fun till ...
    > try 'penis enlargement'
    > or...
    > global village idiot

    I can assure you that those weren't on private servers.
    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  12. On 2006-03-30, Robert Dyke <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Sorry for the confusion I've created.
    >
    > I'm talking about a newsgroup, not an email list. I'm using Outlook
    > Express, which is able to read and respond to newsgroups, like
    > rec.bicycles.tech
    >
    > There is another newsgroup, just like this one, that focuses on
    > framebuilding.

    I've been using usenet since the late 1980s and building frames for a
    few years longer than that even, and as far as I know there's never been
    a usenet newsgroup devoted to bicycle framebuilding. Looking through the
    50,000 or so groups my ISP provides shows nothing of the kind in any case.

    There is, however, the Frame Forum web site at http://www.frameforum.net
    and the Framebuilders mailing list at
    http://www.phred.org/mailman/listinfo/framebuilders.

    If you really want, you might be able to access the mailing list through
    mail-to-usenet gateway service at game.org

    --

    John ([email protected])