Frames: compact or non compact

OZZULT!! - I opted for a non-aero seatpost by KALLOY (this keeps the price down somewhat) - it extends 17.5cm from the frame (Large) . I have never noticed any flex what so ever. Unfortunately I cannot comment on the aero version.
To compensate for my long arms I chose a 14cm stem.
I have never felt uncomfortable whilst on the TCR ZERO

I had myself bio-fitted for the bike thus my knees extend within the allowed bio-mech parameters. Lastly -the "aggressive" position (the only one!) does not cause any back pain.

my local bs just got the my Giant TCR 0 like Adonised frame +fork. The fork looks like plastic :). the frame is REALLY lite and it looks great. ;D. Only thing now is I have to Live up to the Performane this bike will offer ;D ;D ;D

Hey Nick, please post a pic of your new BABY! New bikes make me all giggly! ;D

Hey Nick, I assume you're from Australia.

How much for the bike?

ummm a lot ;D the recomended retail price is $6000 wich is
34,955.2 rand. hey if any one here wants to know curreny conversion this is a good site http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html
This bike comes with Mavic Kyrysium wheels.

my bike is a bit cheaper as i am using my old seat post. the giant areo seat post it $360. also some other bits. and i get a %10 discount because im a race club member ;D ;D.

D/A and Ksyriums? I can taste the sweetness already! Aren't you glad you wrecked your old bike? :p

;) Hmmm i dont know ;), My bike wont have the Kyrysiums ill have Shimano WH-7700 but the bike i quoted for $6000 comes with them. I think the shimanos are excellent. I do have d/ace one mine though ;D. I thought id get a few campag fanatic comments when i mentioned the MIGHTY DuraAce Groupset ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :p.

I guess our misguided Campy buddies have finally seen the truth and joined us enlightened Shimano users ;D

SHI MA NO! SHI MA NO! SHI MA NO! ;D

well my new bike is compact so so are mtbs and they rock so there :). i think compact frames are technicaly stronger. and lighter due to the shorter top tob. Though Cannondale says they dont have compact frames because they recon that the weight savings on the frame are counted by the extra long seat post that is needed. WTF :mad: that sucks if its true, does any of you technical people know if this is true?.

I reckon the weight saving is minimal - 2cm less of tuning + 2cm more of seat will probably only make a few grams difference. The advantage is in the stiffness - shorter tubes are less flexible meaning better power transmission from pedal to wheel.

The are also some geometric advantages - your handle bars are relatively higher on a compact. I'm not too clued up on bike set up but have read some articles saying the compacts allow a better set up than their horizontal counterparts.

I was going to get the Giant TCR but the five year warranty... If it wasnt for that ... but I went with a Ghisallo ... I found it for a steal at La Bicicletta ... keep visiting especially around fall time and you'll get a deal on a clearance.... overall it weight 15.1 pounds ... and it only cost about about what the frame does.

And the new Ghisallo has new beautiful shaped tubes.

I own one of those aforementioned overpriced Italian carbon frames. It's great. But I also own a Cervelo Soloist, which has compact-like geometry, but in many more sizes than S, M, L.

After about a month of splitting time between the two, I am actually starting to prefer the Cervelo! I love the sloping top tube. My knees never brush it. I think I have 15+cm of seatpost showing (to the bottom of the head/top of the post tube). That makes it's aluminum ride as smooth as the Italian carbon!!!

As for the point about bars being higher on a compact, that's only true for a larger size. In the case of the Cervelo, the top of the head tube is actually lower (primarily to accomodate a more aggressive aero position when the seatpost is reversed).

You can get the Scott CR1 compact in an XXL 61 center top (virtual) and 59.5 toptube center center (virtual) I would get that instead of dekking a TCR out with a 14 cm stem...