Frames - Schwinn Moab 1 vs Raleigh M80 Disc

I have a '98 Schwinn Moab 1 Aluminum with LX/XT components, and I
think it's light overall. I also have a '03 Raleigh M80 Disc with
Deore/LX components, and it is definitely heavier. I know the Judy TT
is a heavy beast, and so that's part of the weight difference.

Right now, the RockShox Judy XC on the Schwinn needs to be replaced.
Assuming I only need one bike, would it be worth the trouble to take
the Judy TT, disc brakes, etc off the M80 and put them on the Schwinn?
The Schwinn is 17", and that's a better fit than the M80 at 18".

The Schwinn has great reviews on mtbr.com, and the M80 doesn't seem to
be anything special ...

Thanks.

[email protected] wrote:
> I have a '98 Schwinn Moab 1 Aluminum with LX/XT components, and I
> think it's light overall. I also have a '03 Raleigh M80 Disc with
> Deore/LX components, and it is definitely heavier. I know the Judy TT
> is a heavy beast, and so that's part of the weight difference.
>
> Right now, the RockShox Judy XC on the Schwinn needs to be replaced.
> Assuming I only need one bike, would it be worth the trouble to take
> the Judy TT, disc brakes, etc off the M80 and put them on the Schwinn?
> The Schwinn is 17", and that's a better fit than the M80 at 18".
>
> The Schwinn has great reviews on mtbr.com, and the M80 doesn't seem to
> be anything special ...
>
> Thanks.

That's probably your best option if you can't just get a better fork for
the Schwinn.
I'd check eBay for decent 80 mm forks that suit your needs first.

Matt

I got an awesome deal on the M80 ... much less than the cost of a used
fork + disc brakes + disc wheels.

Can I swap the cassettes so that the disc wheel of the M80 become 8sp
to work with existing Schwinn XT derailleur?

Also, will Avid 2.0 brake levers work with Deore disc brakes? If so,
then the total move would just be to swap forks, swap wheelsets, swap
cassettes. I'm trying to minimize the work for the sake of effort and
hopefully for better components. Hmm, are 98XT components better (and
lighter) than 03 Deore?

[email protected] wrote:
> I got an awesome deal on the M80 ... much less than the cost of a used
> fork + disc brakes + disc wheels.
>
> Can I swap the cassettes so that the disc wheel of the M80 become 8sp
> to work with existing Schwinn XT derailleur?
>
> Also, will Avid 2.0 brake levers work with Deore disc brakes? If so,
> then the total move would just be to swap forks, swap wheelsets, swap
> cassettes. I'm trying to minimize the work for the sake of effort and
> hopefully for better components. Hmm, are 98XT components better (and
> lighter) than 03 Deore?

As for the cassettes, I'm not really sure. If they are the same width it
should work, but maybe someone who is more of a bike mechanic will chime
in with a definitive answer.

The levers should work ok if the disc brakes are cable actuated.

I'd venture to guess that '98 XT would be better if they are in good
shape. Not sure about weight, but I wouldn't be surprised if the XT
stuff was lighter too.

Matt

On Nov 28, 5:59 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> I have a '98 Schwinn Moab 1 Aluminum with LX/XT components, and I
> think it's light overall. I also have a '03 Raleigh M80 Disc with
> Deore/LX components, and it is definitely heavier. I know the Judy TT
> is a heavy beast, and so that's part of the weight difference.
>
> Right now, the RockShox Judy XC on the Schwinn needs to be replaced.
> Assuming I only need one bike, would it be worth the trouble to take
> the Judy TT, disc brakes, etc off the M80 and put them on the Schwinn?
> The Schwinn is 17", and that's a better fit than the M80 at 18".
>
> The Schwinn has great reviews on mtbr.com, and the M80 doesn't seem to
> be anything special ...
>
> Thanks.

I'd say that the frames are pretty much equivalent. The ~1998 Raleigh
M80 I had was Kinesis-built, which isn't bad stuff. Nothing special,
but the welds were good, the frame was stiff, and other than the POS
Indy fork, poorly built wheels and it getting stolen it never gave me
much of a problem. Not sure why people would get more excited about
the Moab. Does the Moab have rear disc brake mounts?

Any thought about selling them both on craigslist and buying one new
bike that fits and has new parts?

/s