Frames

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Eyerace, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Eyerace

Eyerace New Member

I have a easy sport and I love it but I would like to shed some weight. It weighs nearly 40lbs and I know theres not much I can do about it. I know the obvious answer is shell out some $ and buy a better bike, but im on a tight budget. So i was wondering if it would be economical to buy a lighter frame and use my components on it? I would prefer used but it may be hard to find.

Would this be a good idea or would I be money ahead to just sell or trade in the easy sport and get a whole new bike? Or is a lighter bike really worth all the trouble? I am happy with my bike but I would just like a few more miles per hour and maybe a lower seat for better aero. Let me know what ya think. Thanks--

Tags:

2. blazingpedals

blazingpedals New Member

Personally, I don't think you'll see enough cost savings, if any, to justify the hassle. The EZSport has heavy wheels, brakes might not transfer, cables won't be the right length, plus the hassle of selling just the frame later... I could go on but I think you get the idea. Get a new bent and sell the EZSport as a complete package. :cool:

3. atombikes

atombikes New Member

I agree with BP about selling the EZ Sport whole. It's not easy to get top dollar for a bike that is not 100%.

I think it would be most economical for you to strike out and build your own bike! The really great thing about homebuilding is that if you find you don't like something with your bike, you just break out the saw and torch and change it.
    Building a frame doesn't have to be difficult; there's so much info available now that anyone who sets their mind to it can do it. Just settle on a design, and go scavenging for junk bikes for parts. That's half the fun.

However, if you decide that homebuilding is not for you, I still suggest selling outright and then buying something else. Good luck with your choice.

4. Eyerace

Eyerace New Member

Yeah, I think I will keep the frame I have. I could possibly get thinner wheels and tires but I dont know if I would gain enough to make it worth it.