frames

bbolstad

Sep 17, 2005
Is there a place on the internet which has a good database of frames?
I have a Monoc alu bike currently, ( it's a small company from Belgium ) and I've ridden it for about 2 years. Recently I have noticed that the frame is flexing more than it used to. I guess it does this from wear, and my local bike shop does agree. Well, I'm wondering who has the stiffest frame out there.., and what frame will actually stay stiff for years.

What is funny is that I find that many people focus solely on the groupset when jugding the quality of a bike, but I have realised that for me, the frame is the most important part.

Well, the good old monoc will have to do for this season, and I hope it will not let me down on my next race :) ( it's 430km's with 4500m climbing. Actually, its probably my legs which are going to let me down )

bbolstad said:
Recently I have noticed that the frame is flexing more than it used to. I guess it does this from wear, and my local bike shop does agree.
Unless it's cracked, a bike frame will not become more flexible with age.

artmichalek said:
Unless it's cracked, a bike frame will not become more flexible with age.

Yup, nasty rumours abound regarding AL fatigue over the life of a frame. Might crack, but it won't become more noodly.

yeah, it's myth that bugs me, and the old "put a foot of a pedal and flex the bike" act is probably the oldest sales trick in the book :)

if anything, it's probably your spoke tension.

:) funny, I've recently decided that the frame is possibly the least important component, provided, of course, it's the right size, not a complete brick, not super flexy, and not too uncomfortable. I have 10 frames, varying in price [$1700, (AUS dollars), $800, $500, $300, $100, etc], and they all go as fast as each other. :) I really comes down the legs and the wheels. The only frames of mine that 'bother' me are a couple of my 531s which are a little too flexy.