Frames...

Adam

Guest
Hi All,

My partner is going to need a new frame and fork soon. I know that the general consensus on this
group is that whole bike represent better value for money, but in this case she's had almost
everything else upgraded, and I don't think I could get nearly the quality of ancilliary components
on a complete bike.

I'm almost certainly going to get a Marzocchi MX Comp/Pro (probably the comp air, for weight
purposes). I'm looking at a hardtail frame, almost certainly in aluminium, in a fairly small size
(current sizing is 37cm c-c seat-tube, 56cm actual top tube, 59cm effective top tube - ideally I
think she'd want a slightly shorter top tube). It would be indelicate of me to say how much she
weighs, so suffice to say she's pretty slight and the bike gets used for cross-country - Glentress
Black Run for those that know it (but taken pretty carefully). She's not hard on bikes - I do enough
bike-breaking for both of us!

So, my question is this: any particular recommendations for a UK maker (or someone who will ship to
the UK) of pretty cheap mass-produced alu frames. So far, my best bet seems to be Merlin or possibly
a Dave Hinde (although I need to check the geometry on that). Budget for the frame is probably
around £200 (which these days translates to about US$380).

Thanks...

Adam.

"Adam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi All,
>
> My partner is going to need a new frame and fork soon. I know that the general consensus on this
> group is that whole bike represent better value for money, but in this case she's had almost
> everything else upgraded, and I don't think I could get nearly the quality of ancilliary
> components on a complete bike.
>
> I'm almost certainly going to get a Marzocchi MX Comp/Pro (probably the comp air, for weight
> purposes). I'm looking at a hardtail frame, almost certainly in aluminium, in a fairly small size
> (current sizing is 37cm c-c seat-tube, 56cm actual top tube, 59cm effective top tube - ideally I
> think she'd want a slightly shorter top tube). It would be indelicate of me to say how much she
> weighs, so suffice to say she's pretty slight and the bike gets used for cross-country - Glentress
> Black Run for those that know it (but taken pretty carefully). She's not hard on bikes - I do
> enough bike-breaking for both of us!
>
> So, my question is this: any particular recommendations for a UK maker (or someone who will ship
> to the UK) of pretty cheap mass-produced alu frames. So far, my best bet seems to be Merlin or
> possibly a Dave Hinde (although I need to check the geometry on that). Budget for the frame is
> probably around £200 (which these days translates to about US$380).

Too bad you're not in the U.S. . I have a frame that I am selling that would be perfect for her...

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 05:27:16 -0800, Adam wrote:

> So, my question is this: any particular recommendations for a UK maker (or someone who will ship
> to the UK) of pretty cheap mass-produced alu frames. So far, my best bet seems to be Merlin or
> possibly a Dave Hinde (although I need to check the geometry on that). Budget for the frame is
> probably around £200 (which these days translates to about US$380).

Merlin would be your best bet. Good quality at a good price. Or there is always second-hand. You can
find some great deals on eBay.

--
Matt

Fear of a flat planet

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 05:27:16 -0800, Adam wrote:

> I'm almost certainly going to get a Marzocchi MX Comp/Pro (probably the comp air, for weight
> purposes). I'm looking at a hardtail frame, almost certainly in aluminium,

Don't limit yourself, there are some nice English steel hardtails about at the moment.

in a fairly small size (current sizing
> is 37cm c-c seat-tube,

What's that in English money? 14 / 15"?

56cm actual top tube, 59cm effective top tube -
> ideally I think she'd want a slightly shorter top tube).

Shorter stem with no-layback post?

It would be
> indelicate of me to say how much she weighs, so suffice to say she's pretty slight and the bike
> gets used for cross-country - Glentress Black Run for those that know it (but taken pretty
> carefully).

Nice, I'd like to make it up to Glentress at some point.

> So, my question is this: any particular recommendations for a UK maker (or someone who will ship
> to the UK) of pretty cheap mass-produced alu frames. So far, my best bet seems to be Merlin or
> possibly a Dave Hinde (although I need to check the geometry on that). Budget for the frame is
> probably around £200 (which these days translates to about US$380).

Dave Hinde does a frame for 200?

The obvious choice is an On-One Inbred. They're now available in 14"
(21.5" TT (~54.6cm)) and are almost ubiquitous throughout the UK. I've got the ti version of their
frame and it's great. http://www.on-one.co.uk

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm

"Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Adam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi All,
> >
> > My partner is going to need a new frame and fork soon. I know that the general consensus on this
> > group is that whole bike represent better value for money, but in this case she's had almost
> > everything else upgraded, and I don't think I could get nearly the quality of ancilliary
> > components on a complete bike.
> >
> > I'm almost certainly going to get a Marzocchi MX Comp/Pro (probably the comp air, for weight
> > purposes). I'm looking at a hardtail frame, almost certainly in aluminium, in a fairly small
> > size (current sizing is 37cm c-c seat-tube, 56cm actual top tube, 59cm effective top tube -
> > ideally I think she'd want a slightly shorter top tube). It would be indelicate of me to say how
> > much she weighs, so suffice to say she's pretty slight and the bike gets used for cross-country
> > - Glentress Black Run for those that know it (but taken pretty carefully). She's not hard on
> > bikes - I do enough bike-breaking for both of us!
> >
> > So, my question is this: any particular recommendations for a UK maker (or someone who will ship
> > to the UK) of pretty cheap mass-produced alu frames. So far, my best bet seems to be Merlin or
> > possibly a Dave Hinde (although I need to check the geometry on that). Budget for the frame is
> > probably around £200 (which these days translates to about US$380).
>
> Too bad you're not in the U.S. . I have a frame that I am selling that would be perfect for her...
>
> - CA-G
>
> Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Hi Carla,

How much do you want for it? What is it? I can investigate how much shipping would be...

Cheers - Adam...

"Adam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > Too bad you're not in the U.S. . I have a frame that I am selling that
would
> > be perfect for her...
> >
> > - CA-G
> >
> > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!
>

> Hi Carla,
>
> How much do you want for it? What is it? I can investigate how much shipping would be...
>
> Cheers - Adam...

Email me. Remove the NOJUNK part.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

bomba <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 05:27:16 -0800, Adam wrote:
>
> > I'm almost certainly going to get a Marzocchi MX Comp/Pro (probably the comp air, for weight
> > purposes). I'm looking at a hardtail frame, almost certainly in aluminium,
>
> Don't limit yourself, there are some nice English steel hardtails about at the moment.

I would definitely consider steel - the main reasons I'm thinking of aluminium are weight and that
it seems to be the most ubiquitous low-cost frame material.

> in a fairly small size (current sizing
> > is 37cm c-c seat-tube,
>
> What's that in English money? 14 / 15"?

14.5". Sorry, brought up in NZ; I can do imperial but my brain defaults to metric.

> 56cm actual top tube, 59cm effective top tube -
> > ideally I think she'd want a slightly shorter top tube).
>
> Shorter stem with no-layback post?

That's definitely on the cards.

> It would be
> > indelicate of me to say how much she weighs, so suffice to say she's pretty slight and the bike
> > gets used for cross-country - Glentress Black Run for those that know it (but taken pretty
> > carefully).
>
> Nice, I'd like to make it up to Glentress at some point.

Give me a shout if you do. I'd be happy to show you around if I can (although the evidence, based on
Wednesday's night ride, is that I'm barely fit enough to make it to the top at all, let alone in a
decent time - probably best to give me a shout if you fancy the tourist guide to GT, with plenty of
time to admire the scenery!).

> > So, my question is this: any particular recommendations for a UK maker (or someone who will ship
> > to the UK) of pretty cheap mass-produced alu frames. So far, my best bet seems to be Merlin or
> > possibly a Dave Hinde (although I need to check the geometry on that). Budget for the frame is
> > probably around £200 (which these days translates to about US$380).
>
> Dave Hinde does a frame for 200?

M1 - £195.

> The obvious choice is an On-One Inbred. They're now available in 14"
> (21.5" TT (~54.6cm)) and are almost ubiquitous throughout the UK. I've got the ti version of their
> frame and it's great. http://www.on-one.co.uk

It was the long TT that put me off the on-one for Polly. As you may remember, I've drooled over you
geared Ti - that's my next bike, that is...

Cheers - Adam

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 01:49:05 -0800, Adam wrote:

>> Nice, I'd like to make it up to Glentress at some point.
>
> Give me a shout if you do. I'd be happy to show you around if I can (although the evidence, based
> on Wednesday's night ride, is that I'm barely fit enough to make it to the top at all, let alone
> in a decent time - probably best to give me a shout if you fancy the tourist guide to GT, with
> plenty of time to admire the scenery!).

Cheers for the offer. We'll see how things pan out later this year.

>> The obvious choice is an On-One Inbred. They're now available in 14"
>> (21.5" TT (~54.6cm)) and are almost ubiquitous throughout the UK. I've got the ti version of
>> their frame and it's great. http://www.on-one.co.uk
>
> It was the long TT that put me off the on-one for Polly.

I thought that at first, but you said that you were looking for something shorter than a 56/59cm TT,
and the 14" Inbred has a 54.6cm TT. And, as mentioned, combine with a short stem (as Inbreds are
supposed to be fitted anyway) and no-layback and she should be fine.

As you may
> remember, I've drooled over you geared Ti - that's my next bike, that is...

Well worth it. It's definitely a keeper =0)

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm