Frames...

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Adam, Feb 19, 2004.

  1. Adam

    Adam Guest

    Hi All,

    My partner is going to need a new frame and fork soon. I know that the general consensus on this
    group is that whole bike represent better value for money, but in this case she's had almost
    everything else upgraded, and I don't think I could get nearly the quality of ancilliary components
    on a complete bike.

    I'm almost certainly going to get a Marzocchi MX Comp/Pro (probably the comp air, for weight
    purposes). I'm looking at a hardtail frame, almost certainly in aluminium, in a fairly small size
    (current sizing is 37cm c-c seat-tube, 56cm actual top tube, 59cm effective top tube - ideally I
    think she'd want a slightly shorter top tube). It would be indelicate of me to say how much she
    weighs, so suffice to say she's pretty slight and the bike gets used for cross-country - Glentress
    Black Run for those that know it (but taken pretty carefully). She's not hard on bikes - I do enough
    bike-breaking for both of us!

    So, my question is this: any particular recommendations for a UK maker (or someone who will ship to
    the UK) of pretty cheap mass-produced alu frames. So far, my best bet seems to be Merlin or possibly
    a Dave Hinde (although I need to check the geometry on that). Budget for the frame is probably
    around £200 (which these days translates to about US$380).

    Thanks...

    Adam.

    Tags:

  2. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "Adam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > My partner is going to need a new frame and fork soon. I know that the general consensus on this
    > group is that whole bike represent better value for money, but in this case she's had almost
    > everything else upgraded, and I don't think I could get nearly the quality of ancilliary
    > components on a complete bike.
    >
    > I'm almost certainly going to get a Marzocchi MX Comp/Pro (probably the comp air, for weight
    > purposes). I'm looking at a hardtail frame, almost certainly in aluminium, in a fairly small size
    > (current sizing is 37cm c-c seat-tube, 56cm actual top tube, 59cm effective top tube - ideally I
    > think she'd want a slightly shorter top tube). It would be indelicate of me to say how much she
    > weighs, so suffice to say she's pretty slight and the bike gets used for cross-country - Glentress
    > Black Run for those that know it (but taken pretty carefully). She's not hard on bikes - I do
    > enough bike-breaking for both of us!
    >
    > So, my question is this: any particular recommendations for a UK maker (or someone who will ship
    > to the UK) of pretty cheap mass-produced alu frames. So far, my best bet seems to be Merlin or
    > possibly a Dave Hinde (although I need to check the geometry on that). Budget for the frame is
    > probably around £200 (which these days translates to about US$380).

    Too bad you're not in the U.S. . I have a frame that I am selling that would be perfect for her...

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  3. On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 05:27:16 -0800, Adam wrote:

    > So, my question is this: any particular recommendations for a UK maker (or someone who will ship
    > to the UK) of pretty cheap mass-produced alu frames. So far, my best bet seems to be Merlin or
    > possibly a Dave Hinde (although I need to check the geometry on that). Budget for the frame is
    > probably around £200 (which these days translates to about US$380).

    Merlin would be your best bet. Good quality at a good price. Or there is always second-hand. You can
    find some great deals on eBay.

    --
    Matt

    Fear of a flat planet

  4. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 05:27:16 -0800, Adam wrote:

    > I'm almost certainly going to get a Marzocchi MX Comp/Pro (probably the comp air, for weight
    > purposes). I'm looking at a hardtail frame, almost certainly in aluminium,

    Don't limit yourself, there are some nice English steel hardtails about at the moment.

    in a fairly small size (current sizing
    > is 37cm c-c seat-tube,

    What's that in English money? 14 / 15"?

    56cm actual top tube, 59cm effective top tube -
    > ideally I think she'd want a slightly shorter top tube).

    Shorter stem with no-layback post?

    It would be
    > indelicate of me to say how much she weighs, so suffice to say she's pretty slight and the bike
    > gets used for cross-country - Glentress Black Run for those that know it (but taken pretty
    > carefully).

    Nice, I'd like to make it up to Glentress at some point.

    > So, my question is this: any particular recommendations for a UK maker (or someone who will ship
    > to the UK) of pretty cheap mass-produced alu frames. So far, my best bet seems to be Merlin or
    > possibly a Dave Hinde (although I need to check the geometry on that). Budget for the frame is
    > probably around £200 (which these days translates to about US$380).

    Dave Hinde does a frame for 200?

    The obvious choice is an On-One Inbred. They're now available in 14"
    (21.5" TT (~54.6cm)) and are almost ubiquitous throughout the UK. I've got the ti version of their
    frame and it's great. http://www.on-one.co.uk

    --
    a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm

  5. Adam

    Adam Guest

    "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Adam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > My partner is going to need a new frame and fork soon. I know that the general consensus on this
    > > group is that whole bike represent better value for money, but in this case she's had almost
    > > everything else upgraded, and I don't think I could get nearly the quality of ancilliary
    > > components on a complete bike.
    > >
    > > I'm almost certainly going to get a Marzocchi MX Comp/Pro (probably the comp air, for weight
    > > purposes). I'm looking at a hardtail frame, almost certainly in aluminium, in a fairly small
    > > size (current sizing is 37cm c-c seat-tube, 56cm actual top tube, 59cm effective top tube -
    > > ideally I think she'd want a slightly shorter top tube). It would be indelicate of me to say how
    > > much she weighs, so suffice to say she's pretty slight and the bike gets used for cross-country
    > > - Glentress Black Run for those that know it (but taken pretty carefully). She's not hard on
    > > bikes - I do enough bike-breaking for both of us!
    > >
    > > So, my question is this: any particular recommendations for a UK maker (or someone who will ship
    > > to the UK) of pretty cheap mass-produced alu frames. So far, my best bet seems to be Merlin or
    > > possibly a Dave Hinde (although I need to check the geometry on that). Budget for the frame is
    > > probably around £200 (which these days translates to about US$380).
    >
    > Too bad you're not in the U.S. . I have a frame that I am selling that would be perfect for her...
    >
    > - CA-G
    >
    > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

    Hi Carla,

    How much do you want for it? What is it? I can investigate how much shipping would be...

    Cheers - Adam...

  6. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "Adam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > Too bad you're not in the U.S. . I have a frame that I am selling that
    would
    > > be perfect for her...
    > >
    > > - CA-G
    > >
    > > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!
    >

    > Hi Carla,
    >
    > How much do you want for it? What is it? I can investigate how much shipping would be...
    >
    > Cheers - Adam...

    Email me. Remove the NOJUNK part.

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  7. Adam

    Adam Guest

    bomba <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 05:27:16 -0800, Adam wrote:
    >
    > > I'm almost certainly going to get a Marzocchi MX Comp/Pro (probably the comp air, for weight
    > > purposes). I'm looking at a hardtail frame, almost certainly in aluminium,
    >
    > Don't limit yourself, there are some nice English steel hardtails about at the moment.

    I would definitely consider steel - the main reasons I'm thinking of aluminium are weight and that
    it seems to be the most ubiquitous low-cost frame material.

    > in a fairly small size (current sizing
    > > is 37cm c-c seat-tube,
    >
    > What's that in English money? 14 / 15"?

    14.5". Sorry, brought up in NZ; I can do imperial but my brain defaults to metric.

    > 56cm actual top tube, 59cm effective top tube -
    > > ideally I think she'd want a slightly shorter top tube).
    >
    > Shorter stem with no-layback post?

    That's definitely on the cards.

    > It would be
    > > indelicate of me to say how much she weighs, so suffice to say she's pretty slight and the bike
    > > gets used for cross-country - Glentress Black Run for those that know it (but taken pretty
    > > carefully).
    >
    > Nice, I'd like to make it up to Glentress at some point.

    Give me a shout if you do. I'd be happy to show you around if I can (although the evidence, based on
    Wednesday's night ride, is that I'm barely fit enough to make it to the top at all, let alone in a
    decent time - probably best to give me a shout if you fancy the tourist guide to GT, with plenty of
    time to admire the scenery!).

    > > So, my question is this: any particular recommendations for a UK maker (or someone who will ship
    > > to the UK) of pretty cheap mass-produced alu frames. So far, my best bet seems to be Merlin or
    > > possibly a Dave Hinde (although I need to check the geometry on that). Budget for the frame is
    > > probably around £200 (which these days translates to about US$380).
    >
    > Dave Hinde does a frame for 200?

    M1 - £195.

    > The obvious choice is an On-One Inbred. They're now available in 14"
    > (21.5" TT (~54.6cm)) and are almost ubiquitous throughout the UK. I've got the ti version of their
    > frame and it's great. http://www.on-one.co.uk

    It was the long TT that put me off the on-one for Polly. As you may remember, I've drooled over you
    geared Ti - that's my next bike, that is...

    Cheers - Adam

  8. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 01:49:05 -0800, Adam wrote:

    >> Nice, I'd like to make it up to Glentress at some point.
    >
    > Give me a shout if you do. I'd be happy to show you around if I can (although the evidence, based
    > on Wednesday's night ride, is that I'm barely fit enough to make it to the top at all, let alone
    > in a decent time - probably best to give me a shout if you fancy the tourist guide to GT, with
    > plenty of time to admire the scenery!).

    Cheers for the offer. We'll see how things pan out later this year.

    >> The obvious choice is an On-One Inbred. They're now available in 14"
    >> (21.5" TT (~54.6cm)) and are almost ubiquitous throughout the UK. I've got the ti version of
    >> their frame and it's great. http://www.on-one.co.uk
    >
    > It was the long TT that put me off the on-one for Polly.

    I thought that at first, but you said that you were looking for something shorter than a 56/59cm TT,
    and the 14" Inbred has a 54.6cm TT. And, as mentioned, combine with a short stem (as Inbreds are
    supposed to be fitted anyway) and no-layback and she should be fine.

    As you may
    > remember, I've drooled over you geared Ti - that's my next bike, that is...

    Well worth it. It's definitely a keeper =0)

    --
    a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm