Frames

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Slime, Mar 12, 2004.

  1. Slime

    Slime Guest

    Where in Victoria, preferably inner Melbourne can I buy a
    good MTB frame. I wanna put together my own MTB and am
    looking for a nice frame to start with.

    Would it be better to order from o/s?

    Also, I've heard it is cheaper to get components from o/s.
    Is that correct?

    --
    Marc Bishop [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    VicMTB
    (www.vicmtb.com.au)

    in Kew can source various frames. There should be
    a few city shops that can source frames too but I
    can't think of any right now.. maybe...

    Pushi
    (www.pushi.com.au)

    Brunswick Street Cycles
    (http://home.iprimus.com.au/bscycles/)

    Again, this is my personal opinion, but I would buy
    from a local shop. Get to know them well and they
    will generally treat you well in the future.
    Also, with our stronger dollar and the HUGE cost
    of ordering heavy&bulky items from O.S. it might
    not work out cheaper at all.

    You are after an XC frame right? What's your budget?

    Check the sales forum at www.farkin.net and
    search the web too - you'll find heaps of info.

    hth
    hippy

  3. Slime

    Slime Guest

    I want to build a bike with full XT componentry for
    under $2k.

    Possible? I want front shocks and a hardtail.

    --
    Marc Bishop [email protected]

    > Slime wrote:
    > > Where in Victoria, preferably inner Melbourne can I
    > > buy a good MTB frame. I wanna put together my own MTB
    > > and am looking for a nice frame to start with. Would
    > > it be better to order from o/s? Also, I've heard it is
    > > cheaper to get components from o/s. Is that correct?
    >

    > VicMTB (www.vicmtb.com.au)
    >
    > in Kew can source various frames. There should be a few
    > city shops that can source frames too but I can't think of
    > any right now.. maybe...
    >
    > Pushi (www.pushi.com.au)
    >
    > Brunswick Street Cycles
    > (http://home.iprimus.com.au/bscycles/)
    >
    > Again, this is my personal opinion, but I would buy from a
    > local shop. Get to know them well and they will generally
    > treat you well in the future. Also, with our stronger
    > dollar and the HUGE cost of ordering heavy&bulky items
    > from O.S. it might not work out cheaper at all.
    >
    > You are after an XC frame right? What's your budget?
    >
    > Check the sales forum at www.farkin.net and search the web
    > too - you'll find heaps of info.
    >
    > hth hippy
    >

    > --

  4. bikehawk5

    bikehawk5 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2004
    You should check out Ebay.ca(Maybe just Ebay too.I buy parts from there for about 1/4 the usual $$$.As for the shipping $$$ for o/s,if you're only looking for a frame it should be relatively cheap.1.00 AUD
    Australia Dollars = 0.982445 CAD so you won't loose much at all whether dealing with a Canadian (which i am by the way),or if you deal with an American 1.00 AUD Australia Dollars = 0.736560 USD which isn't all that bad.Bset of luck whichever way you jump.

  5. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    Cecil Walker Cycles lists XT groupset (vee, not disc) as
    ~$1150. A reasonable 'cheap' fork will cost $400 so
    unless your frame, wheels and extras are silly cheap,
    I'd say no, $2k is too cheap for a complete bike.

    But, if you buy a complete bike, generally the total is
    cheaper than the sum of its parts bought separately.

    Also, you could build it up with 'some' XT parts and
    use Deore for the rest.

    hippy