France 3 trying to dig up dirt on Lance

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Alan Atwood, Jul 15, 2004.

  1. Alan Atwood

    Alan Atwood Guest

    espn.com:</a>

    ENOUGH ALREADY!!!! Why does everybody in France think that Lance is
    lying? This is getting ridiculous!!! The French police should arrest
    this reporting crew and bar them from the rest of the race, PERIOD!
    Lance is right when he worries about someone planting stuff; if that
    happens the tour is either going to have to go against precedence or
    kick Lance out.

    This is bull****.

    Alan

    Tags:

  2. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    Try this link. http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=1840215 Get
    ready for the "I WAS FRAMED defense. They're all out to get him. The list so
    far:

    Canal 3
    David Walsh
    Emma O'Reilly
    Pierre Balliester
    Kathy Lemond
    Greg Lemond
    ex-Motorola Teammate (?)
    Persons Unknown

    "Alan Atwood" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > espn.com:</a>
    >
    > ENOUGH ALREADY!!!! Why does everybody in France think that Lance is
    > lying? This is getting ridiculous!!! The French police should arrest
    > this reporting crew and bar them from the rest of the race, PERIOD!
    > Lance is right when he worries about someone planting stuff; if that
    > happens the tour is either going to have to go against precedence or
    > kick Lance out.
    >
    > This is bull****.
    >
    > Alan

  3. Doug Smith

    Doug Smith Guest

    I saw a show on Ben Johnson last night. To this day, he and his coach
    Charlie Francis insist that Ben's sample which gave a positive test at Seoul
    was tampered with. Of course since Seoul they've admitted to doping, but
    haven't admitted to doping with what Ben was caught with. Another
    interesting aspect of this case is the fact that the positive test was
    leaked to the press somehow. If the leak never occurred, Ben's test result
    may never have been made public. Conversely, at the LA Olympics the head of
    doping had a list of Americans (and others I suppose) that tested positive.
    The list cross-referenced the blood samples with the athlete's names.
    Someone broke into the safe where the list was kept and shredded the
    document. So the difference between Ben Johnson and his competitors is that
    the media went after Ben while governing bodies protected the others.

    Doping has been getting ridiculous since the late 70s. Don't feel bad for
    LA, he gets paid very well for the scrutiny he puts up with. The sport is
    tainted, he's the best in the sport, therefore he's going to be pushed and
    prodded. And who knows, maybe he's one step away from being the cycling
    equivalent of Ben Johnson. The only people I feel bad for are the kids that
    get sucked into the drug mentality, like 14 year old girls from the former
    East Germany.

  4. [email protected] (Alan Atwood) writes:

    > espn.com:</a>
    >
    > ENOUGH ALREADY!!!! Why does everybody in France think that Lance is
    > lying? This is getting ridiculous!!! The French police should arrest
    > this reporting crew and bar them from the rest of the race, PERIOD!
    > Lance is right when he worries about someone planting stuff; if that
    > happens the tour is either going to have to go against precedence or
    > kick Lance out.

    Right you are sport. Lance never took any dope.

    Neither did Spotted Dick nor the Haggis Snapper

  5. Kovie

    Kovie Guest

    What's the history between Lemond and Armstrong? And why is Lemond a missing
    presence in today's cycling scene? E.g. no involvement with OLN's coverage
    of the Tour, no commentary for ESPN or other networks covering the Tour,
    etc.

    --
    Kovie
    [email protected]zen

    > Try this link. http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=1840215 Get
    > ready for the "I WAS FRAMED defense. They're all out to get him. The list

    so
    > far:
    >
    > Canal 3
    > David Walsh
    > Emma O'Reilly
    > Pierre Balliester
    > Kathy Lemond
    > Greg Lemond
    > ex-Motorola Teammate (?)
    > Persons Unknown
    >

    > "Alan Atwood" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > espn.com:</a>
    > >
    > > ENOUGH ALREADY!!!! Why does everybody in France think that Lance is
    > > lying? This is getting ridiculous!!! The French police should arrest
    > > this reporting crew and bar them from the rest of the race, PERIOD!
    > > Lance is right when he worries about someone planting stuff; if that
    > > happens the tour is either going to have to go against precedence or
    > > kick Lance out.
    > >
    > > This is bull****.
    > >
    > > Alan

  6. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Kovie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s52...
    > What's the history between Lemond and Armstrong? And why is Lemond a

    missing
    > presence in today's cycling scene? E.g. no involvement with OLN's coverage
    > of the Tour, no commentary for ESPN or other networks covering the Tour,
    > etc.

    Well, Greg never looked like he wanted to work for the media and he likely
    does not have much economic incentive to even bother. You should have
    noticed that the really successful American ex-pros don't bother to go for
    media gigs. In Europe, the sport is a lot more prestigious and a lot of the
    top guys hang around because of that rather than a need for income (although
    many of them do need the money, plenty more do not and even have other jobs
    liek Jalabert with Look and so on).

    OTOH, he is jealous of Armstrong and to be honest Lance did not do a good
    job at showing respect to Greg when Greg was the big shot. Greg has always
    bee too sensitive and Lance has always been a bit of a dick, so this was
    perhaps inevitable and the the fight over doping just happens to be a
    convenient knife for Greg to use against Lance to pay him back for the
    shitty attitude Lance got as soon as he had his first results as a very
    young pro. Greg was running with fouled spark plugs by then and probably
    should have retired at the end of the '92 season when it was very clear that
    regardless of the excuse he used, he just did not have what it takes to lead
    a top team. His should have been a gracious road captain or retired like
    Hinault Bernard Hinault left the sport at the age of 32 as soon as he saw
    the first signs of form loss from aging. He managed to place second to Greg
    that year in the Tour and nobody really had to ever look at him trying to
    hold back from using phrases like "has been" and "washed up".

    > --
    > Kovie
    > [email protected]zen

    > news:[email protected]
    > > Try this link. http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=1840215 Get
    > > ready for the "I WAS FRAMED defense. They're all out to get him. The

    list
    > so
    > > far:
    > >
    > > Canal 3
    > > David Walsh
    > > Emma O'Reilly
    > > Pierre Balliester
    > > Kathy Lemond
    > > Greg Lemond
    > > ex-Motorola Teammate (?)
    > > Persons Unknown
    > >

    > > "Alan Atwood" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > > > espn.com:</a>
    > > >
    > > > ENOUGH ALREADY!!!! Why does everybody in France think that Lance is
    > > > lying? This is getting ridiculous!!! The French police should arrest
    > > > this reporting crew and bar them from the rest of the race, PERIOD!
    > > > Lance is right when he worries about someone planting stuff; if that
    > > > happens the tour is either going to have to go against precedence or
    > > > kick Lance out.
    > > >
    > > > This is bull****.
    > > >
    > > > Alan

  7. Jiyang Chen

    Jiyang Chen Guest

    "Kovie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s52...
    > What's the history between Lemond and Armstrong? And why is Lemond a

    missing
    > presence in today's cycling scene?

    He was in a commercial last year on the Camelback hydration system.

  8. RJG

    RJG Guest

    > "Kovie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]_s52...
    > > What's the history between Lemond and Armstrong? And why is Lemond a

    > missing
    > > presence in today's cycling scene? E.g. no involvement with OLN's

    coverage
    > > of the Tour, no commentary for ESPN or other networks covering the Tour,
    > > etc.

    > Well, Greg never looked like he wanted to work for the media and he likely
    > does not have much economic incentive to even bother. You should have
    > noticed that the really successful American ex-pros don't bother to go for
    > media gigs. In Europe, the sport is a lot more prestigious and a lot of

    the
    > top guys hang around because of that rather than a need for income

    (although
    > many of them do need the money, plenty more do not and even have other

    jobs
    > liek Jalabert with Look and so on).

    Not to mention the fact that he was pretty busy (and perhaps still is) with
    his bike businesses.

  9. curt

    curt Guest

    I wonder who is going to win the British Open? Tiger seems to be having a
    tough time out there lately.

    Curt

    "Alan Atwood" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > espn.com:</a>
    >
    > ENOUGH ALREADY!!!! Why does everybody in France think that Lance is
    > lying? This is getting ridiculous!!! The French police should arrest
    > this reporting crew and bar them from the rest of the race, PERIOD!
    > Lance is right when he worries about someone planting stuff; if that
    > happens the tour is either going to have to go against precedence or
    > kick Lance out.
    >
    > This is bull****.
    >
    > Alan

  10. Kovie

    Kovie Guest

    Didn't he sell Lemond bikes to Trek a while back? Or does he still run that
    Trek division?

    --
    Kovie
    [email protected]zen

    "RJG" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s03...

    > "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > "Kovie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]_s52...
    > > > What's the history between Lemond and Armstrong? And why is Lemond a

    > > missing
    > > > presence in today's cycling scene? E.g. no involvement with OLN's

    > coverage
    > > > of the Tour, no commentary for ESPN or other networks covering the

    Tour,
    > > > etc.

    > > Well, Greg never looked like he wanted to work for the media and he

    likely
    > > does not have much economic incentive to even bother. You should have
    > > noticed that the really successful American ex-pros don't bother to go

    for
    > > media gigs. In Europe, the sport is a lot more prestigious and a lot of

    > the
    > > top guys hang around because of that rather than a need for income

    > (although
    > > many of them do need the money, plenty more do not and even have other

    > jobs
    > > liek Jalabert with Look and so on).

    > Not to mention the fact that he was pretty busy (and perhaps still is)

    with
    > his bike businesses.

  11. Kovie

    Kovie Guest

    Hmm, this answers a lot of questions I've had about the transition from
    Lemond to Armstrong in the early 90's. I didn't realize it didn't go very
    smoothly, although I have heard that in his younger days Armstrong was
    considered to be extremely arrogant (but then again in sports the best often
    are, especially when just starting out). Thanks for the info. Do you know of
    any feature-length magazine articles or tv spots on this topic? Sounds like
    it would be a really interesting read, and perhaps even book if expanded
    into the history of US cycling since its resurgence in the mid-70's. Hell,
    if you included the old stuff going back to the 19th century this would be
    the makings of a great Burns documentary. But I digress...

    --
    Kovie
    [email protected]zen

  12. "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Try this link. http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=1840215 Get
    > ready for the "I WAS FRAMED defense. They're all out to get him. The list so
    > far:
    >
    > Canal 3
    > David Walsh
    > Emma O'Reilly
    > Pierre Balliester
    > Kathy Lemond
    > Greg Lemond
    > ex-Motorola Teammate (?)
    > Persons Unknown

    For a guy who likes to see conspiracies between LA, Leblanc, Verbruggen,
    and God knows who all, you sure are an amateur. This France 3 TV crew
    stuff is obviously all a setup, but not in the way you or LA thinks.
    RBR dumbasses like to fulminate about how the French hate Americans and
    the US, but that's stupid. It's not like the French have a long bad
    history with the US. Who do they really not want to invade and conquer
    the Tour? That's right, the GERMANS. Sheez.

    Bruyneel and Leblanc paid off that Canal 3 crew to get caught in USPS's hotel
    to make Lance mad. Because everyone knows that it is not a good idea to
    get him angry. Angry enough to drag his suffering old carcass up a mountain
    and put one more hurt on Jan when he could have his feet up on the sofa
    drinking a Shiner Bock ...

    Ben
    Shiner Bock's ok, but not my favorite

  13. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "Benjamin Weiner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Try this link. http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=1840215 Get
    > > ready for the "I WAS FRAMED defense. They're all out to get him. The

    list so
    > > far:
    > >
    > > Canal 3
    > > David Walsh
    > > Emma O'Reilly
    > > Pierre Balliester
    > > Kathy Lemond
    > > Greg Lemond
    > > ex-Motorola Teammate (?)
    > > Persons Unknown

    > For a guy who likes to see conspiracies between LA, Leblanc, Verbruggen,
    > and God knows who all, you sure are an amateur. This France 3 TV crew
    > stuff is obviously all a setup, but not in the way you or LA thinks.
    > RBR dumbasses like to fulminate about how the French hate Americans and
    > the US, but that's stupid. It's not like the French have a long bad
    > history with the US. Who do they really not want to invade and conquer
    > the Tour? That's right, the GERMANS. Sheez.
    >
    > Bruyneel and Leblanc paid off that Canal 3 crew to get caught in USPS's

    hotel
    > to make Lance mad. Because everyone knows that it is not a good idea to
    > get him angry. Angry enough to drag his suffering old carcass up a

    mountain
    > and put one more hurt on Jan when he could have his feet up on the sofa
    > drinking a Shiner Bock ...
    >
    > Ben
    > Shiner Bock's ok, but not my favorite

    Who would have known?