Frank Vandenbroucke dies

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by steve, Oct 12, 2009.

1. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

Vandenbroucke made his professional debut in 1994 and recorded 51 victories, including the 1999 Liege-Bastogne-Liege classic, his career highlight.

In 2002, Vandenbroucke was twice stopped by police and discovered to be under the influence of alcohol at the wheel of a car. In another incident that year, a police search at his home uncovered a large quantity of doping substances.

In 2003, when he rode for the Quick Step team, Vandenbroucke appeared on the way back after a second place finish in the prestigious Tour of Flanders classic.

However, despite a promising start to the 2004 season, hopes of a sustained comeback were cut short and he sunk further into depression.

Tags:

2. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

1995 - Lotto[/B]
    Paris-Brussels
    GP de Cholet-Pays-de-Loire

1996 - Mapei
    GP de l'Escaut-Schoten
    GP Ouest-France
    Tour Méditerranéen

1997 - Mapei
    Rund um Köln
    Tour de Luxembourg
    Trofeo Matteotti

1998 - Mapei
    Ghent-Wevelgem
    Paris-Nice
    Volta a Galega
    Tour de Wallonie

1999 - Cofidis
    Liège-Bastogne-Liège
    Omloop Het Volk
    Grand Prix d'Ouverture La Marseillaise
    Vuelta a España
    12th, Overall
    1st, Stages 17 & 20
    1st, Points

3. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Good god.

Can't comment.
    Shocking news.

R.I.P.

VDB

4. gtm

gtm New Member

Another professional cyclist dies far to young -what on earth is going on?

5. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

This news is indeed shocking.

Frank did have some well publicised issues in the past with chemicals : but he was a superb rider when he was going well.
    Admittedly it has been a few years since he was at the very top of his game and I did follow his recent comeback with interest because like a lot of fans, I had hoped that he would rediscover his winning ways.

And now we read that he is dead from a suspected blodd cloat.

Dreadful news.

Far too many men in our sport have died far, far too young.

VBD, Marco Pantani, JM Jimenez.....................the list is endless.

R.I.P. Frank

6. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Such a waste!

"Living hard will take it's toll"

Steely Dan (The Glamour Profession)

7. jimmypop

jimmypop New Member

No doubt he suffered from an undiagnosed mental illness for much of his life, but it's difficult to disassociate his involvement in the doping culture of cycling and the end result of his life.

But, it's all just for entertainment, right? Strong people aren't bother by the drugs, right?

Running Man, here we come.

8. jimmypop

jimmypop New Member

The fact that Velonews shuffles this to a sidebar with a few scant paragraphs while Cyclingnews has it as a featured, measured article speaks volumes about the relative ignorance of American cycling fans.

9. Yakko

Yakko New Member

10. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

It speaks volumes, Jimmy.
    Good post

11. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

The stories of Vandenbroucke, Pantani, and others have a common theme: humans, with all their weaknesses, shoved into the spotlight by dint of their chosen profession. The pressure becomes huge, to them, and results in their weaknesses becoming stronger. Kurt Cobain's story is the same. It's likely that Heath Ledger's was the same story. It's the story of people not built to handle the pressure of the international spotlight but at the same time are pushed into the spotlight while pursuing what they love.

Performance doping, drug use.....those are just symptoms. They're not the primary factors. I don't think anyone, here, could rightly say how they'd hold up under that spotlight, under that intense public scrutiny. I know I can't say.

12. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

Vandenbroucke: Three Persons Arrested In Connection To Death | Cyclingnews.com

13. doctorSpoc

doctorSpoc New Member

the thing about cycling is that it's by its very nature a very solitary sport.. you spend huge chunks of time alone.. if you don't have well established, healthy relationships with family, friends etc it's hard to impossible to establish them given a cyclist's schedule. so it's great when you have great success and you can come home and enjoy it with the people around you... if there is no one around you of any significance, you come home and you come off that high of your success to nothing, no one to share it with, just you and lots of empty roads ahead... people turn to illegal drugs to keep the high going and to dull the pain of their self imposed solitary confinement etc.. and turn to PEDs to keep the high that comes from success coming ever more frequently. it is similar to rock stars and movie stars... you are a super star and then you come home and if it's just you or in the case of ledger it's about to be just you or you don't want to think about it just being you sometime in the future.. or you are so scared of having to recreate that success again and maybe you don't think you're up to it... at times like that bad things can creep into your head..

really, really sad...

14. Yakko

Yakko New Member

15. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

Sad, yes.
    Shocking, no.
    Even with my limited time involved in cycling, I knew of his conflicted lifestyle and mental issues. This news was "just a matter of time"...Unfortunately, it seems Gerlach's headed down the same path...Hopefully not, of course...

16. jimmypop

jimmypop New Member

I've all but given up on American cycling fans. Apparently, the majority of us want our cyclists like we want our football players - doped up to provide us with a few short years of entertainment.

I have no patience for the ignorance of this type of fan. These individuals deserve no respect and should be given no quarter, which is exactly what they give the riders.

17. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

LOL! Quite the pot-stirrer, aren't cha'?

Stick with cycling, my friend. It's apparent to me your knowledge of American football is limited to what you've been fed by the popular media outlets.

18. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

That's a pretty bold statement considering there's no proof to support it

I think your image of American "cycling fans" is polluted by your bias.

19. poulidor

poulidor New Member

In past, there were a place named "Coliseum" were people "gave" their lives for entertainment of others.
    I heard that white bears cannot found enough food with global warming. Maybe we could have new show.:D

20. doctorSpoc

doctorSpoc New Member

c'mon man... i think you're overstating your case a little bit here.. maybe a lot... Vandenbroucke obviously had some serious mental issues... and they sound more than just personal problems, but some real chemical imbalances.. the kind of thing some people are just born with. he probably would have had problems had he been a potato farmer, much less a professional cyclist. he was likely just not cut out for the pressures of professional sport doping or no doping.

i think it's a bit of leap to say that doping specifically somehow was the cause or contributed directly to his mental illness.. and that it wasn't just the many rigors of the sport that aggravated a pre-existing mental condition..

this is a sad story about a seriously, mentally ill man... i'm all for the anti-doping message, but don't make this case into something that it's not just to get your message out.. not appropriate..