Frank Vandenbroucke: "I just want to be a rider again."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the interview CH. Its really a pretty sad situation. I am routing for the guy to have a respectable year.

Well, he needs all the help he can get.

Remember, this is the same guy whose wife called the carabinieri on him in Italy to keep him away from her and their child. Very sad, really.

Powerful Pete said:
Well, he needs all the help he can get.

Remember, this is the same guy whose wife called the carabinieri on him in Italy to keep him away from her and their child. Very sad, really.
Why??

nns1400 said:
She was afraid for her safety and that of their child. This was soon after or right before a suicide attempt he made.

He is not the most stable person mentally.

A wasted potential on a monumental scale. And, something of a wasted life so far...

The potentially redeeming quality in him is that he loves the bike. If he is riding regularly, then he tends to be more stable. Once he gets off the bike he goes over the deep end. I thought it was great when he was showing up at the Italian amatuer races with a fake license and a fake name. He was riding away from the field then pulling off a couple of hundred meters from the finish so he wouldn't steal the race from the real amatuers.

I also remember a story about one of his comebacks where he was so deconditioned they had to start him out by walking a half an hour per day.

He has incredible highs and incredible lows.

Powerful Pete said:
She was afraid for her safety and that of their child. This was soon after or right before a suicide attempt he made.

He is not the most stable person mentally.

A wasted potential on a monumental scale. And, something of a wasted life so far...
It was soon before, he did his suicide attempt after his wife left him. I spoke with Frank before Tuesdays team presentation and I didn't see him that relaxed in the last 4 years or so. He had a good winter and is very realistic but he loves the bike...

cyclingheroes said:
It was soon before, he did his suicide attempt after his wife left him. I spoke with Frank before Tuesdays team presentation and I didn't see him that relaxed in the last 4 years or so. He had a good winter and is very realistic but he loves the bike...
Well, let us see. We seem to repeat this thread every year, with Frank's arrival in a new team. Hopefully this year we will see him race. I am not holding my breath, however.

Powerful Pete said:
Well, let us see. We seem to repeat this thread every year, with Frank's arrival in a new team. Hopefully this year we will see him race. I am not holding my breath, however.
Maybe we should just have one thread. All we would have to do is post a single "bump" to the thread every January. No other posts would be necessary.

Powerful Pete said:
I have spoken more than once with Frank, at Palmans, at Unibet etc. There is one difference this time he was very realistic and relaxed. He said himself : W'll see if it works out or not (at Unibet he said: I want to win a stage in the Tour this year..)

cyclingheroes said:
I have spoken more than once with Frank, at Palmans, at Unibet etc. There is one difference this time he was very realistic and relaxed. He said himself : W'll see if it works out or not (at Unibet he said: I want to win a stage in the Tour this year..)

That is good to hear CH.

Most knowledgeable fans, like PP said, would recognise that VDB was a superb talent.
VDB's mental/emotional problems surfaced after a couple of stellar seasons - and despite help from the likes of Lefevere, VDB contined to have problems.
Giancarlo Ferretti even tried helping him - by hiring him at Fassa.
Seeing VDB in tears when he had to climb off during, I think, Liege B Liege, three years ago was terrible.

I hope he can come back - he doesn't have to try to recreate the past glories.
Time on the bike and racing - might be enough..

I will speak him again after Nokere Koerse, by than he has absoloved the first races and I am curious what will happen until Nokere...

Status
Not open for further replies.