Road Cycling · Public discussion

Frank Yang's New Bike

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 3 posts · 475 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
16 April 2007
Last activity
18 April 2007
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
475
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. When I met Frank Yang at English corner one of his classmates was
    riding his bike in sloppy figure eights nearby. After the bike was
    free I went to take a look at it. I'd heard about the Other Cyclist
    from the other foreigners but they weren't biker sorts and didn't
    really give me any useful information.

    Acceptable.

    Okay, better than acceptable.

    Even if it was running less than half the cost of the cheaper of my
    two bikes it was still at least twice the price of the next most
    expensive bike in town.

    I'd been hoping that it was going to be a really good bike and that
    I'd really found a real riding buddy and was in fact kind of
    disappointed to discover that he was not only a student who not only
    was a relatively new cyclist but that his bike was also a mere 1600rmb
    worth of Giant mountain bike.

    And I let it show.

    So he challenged me to a race.

    Mano il mano to the top of Ertouling.

    "I can do it in thirty minutes," he told me, confidently.

    I'd just done it in a very acceptable fifty two minutes. I took a
    long look at this student, up and down, took a long look at his bike,
    and told him flat out that he was either a liar or had a broken watch.

    Mere days before when teasing me about my fifty two minutes the bike
    shop manager told me that he'd done it in thirty minutes. At 22 Frank
    has age on his side but the bike shop manager has a race bike and
    fifteen years of working in a bike shop on his side.

    I did not believe in thirty minutes. Could not believe in it.
    Thirty minutes was not bragging. Thirty minutes was impossible.

    Mano il mano to the top of Ertouling. I'll see you on Wednesday.

    Wednesday came. We met as competitors. There was no audience to
    speak of. Just me, him, Langford as judge, and a random classmate.

    We started from the gas station.

    Langford counted down and we started off together, me on my road bike
    with the FSA triple (53, 39, 30) and mountain bike cassette (11-28),
    him on his stock mountain bike, Langford in his jeep. I was cool and
    confident. There would be no need to try real hard. Just keep up
    with him and when we get near the top sprint to win. Easy play.

    We hadn't even been going for a minute when he passed me.
    I kept pushing hard certain that he'd tire himself out soon enough and
    I'd catch up again.
    But, although, at forty six minutes I would make my best time ever I
    never caught up. His watch wasn't broken and he wasn't a liar. He
    did the impossible. He did it in thirty minutes.

    Two days later I helped Frank sign up for his first real race.

    That race was this past weekend. A mere 3.2 kilometers but really
    really steep.

    Frank took fifth for the province, ten seconds off fourth place, and
    within two minutes of first place. First place has a 50,000rmb carbon
    wonder race bike with a 12,000rmb wheelset. The only reason first
    place isn't a professional racer because his mother and father didn't
    like the idea when one of the Chinese teams tried to recruit him.

    Frank and I were among the people who decided to ride home from the
    race. Only 130km. With no odometer to look at he had no way of
    knowing we were going over 45kph on one of the occasions that he got
    dropped. In fact, he did a better job of staying with the front
    riders than I did. On his mountain bike. With platform pedals.

    Because I've been upgrading my road bike I had a bunch of bits and
    bobs and things that I wasn't using but which really weren't worth the
    effort of trying to sell. Handlebars, front and rear derailleurs,
    chainring, bottom bracket, and a pair of wheels. We determined that
    he had up to 600rmb that he could spend on bike stuff and I asked my
    favorite mechanic for help.

    Secondhand Xidesheng frame and fork that already had stem, front,
    derailleur and brakes - 200rmb.
    Trade my Shimano SIS front derailleur for a saddle.
    Downtube shifters, brake levers, seat post, cables, 30rmb tires and
    10rmb tubes, we're almost done here ...

    At which point the bike shop owner realized for whom the bike was
    being built.
    At which point the process had to begin all over again.

    This boy was not going to ride a bike with a Xidesheng frame.
    Unacceptable. Not going to happen. She wouldn't allow it. If it had
    to be a secondhand bike so be it. If it had to be part layaway and
    part gift so be it. If the price had to come out of future prize
    money so be it. If he had to work at the shop part time to make up
    the difference so be it. But he wasn't going to ride a Xidesheng
    bike.

    It was _not_ allowed. Understand?

    Frank now has his first Giant jersey, his first pair of Giant bike
    shorts, an odometer, and a Giant race bike. Nothing extra special.
    The original parts were worn out and replaced. Then the original
    owner got a better frame and cannibalized everything worth keeping.
    His new bike has secondhand Sora brifters, new Sora derailleurs, new
    wheels with a cassette for mountains, new saddle, new tires... 600rmb
    total.

    He and I had determined that he had up to 600rmb that he could spend
    on a new bike. So the new bike cost 600rmb. Exactly 600rmb. Even
    when the price tag still stuck to the front hub of the wheelset says
    480rmb his bike cost 600rmb because that is how much he had to spend
    on a new bike.

    -M

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted post said:

    When I met Frank Yang at English corner one of his classmates was
    riding his bike in sloppy figure eights nearby. After the bike was
    free I went to take a look at it. I'd heard about the Other Cyclist
    from the other foreigners but they weren't biker sorts and didn't
    really give me any useful information.

    Acceptable.

    Quoted message said:

    So he challenged me to a race.

    Mano il mano to the top of Ertouling.

    "I can do it in thirty minutes," he told me, confidently.

    I'd just done it in a very acceptable fifty two minutes. I took a
    long look at this student, up and down, took a long look at his bike,
    and told him flat out that he was either a liar or had a broken watch.

    Quoted message said:

    We hadn't even been going for a minute when he passed me.

    Quoted message said:

    Two days later I helped Frank sign up for his first real race.

    That race was this past weekend. A mere 3.2 kilometers but really
    really steep.

    Frank took fifth for the province, ten seconds off fourth place, and
    within two minutes of first place. First place has a 50,000rmb carbon
    wonder race bike with a 12,000rmb wheelset. The only reason first
    place isn't a professional racer because his mother and father didn't
    like the idea when one of the Chinese teams tried to recruit him.

    Quoted message said:

    chainring, bottom bracket, and a pair of wheels. We determined that
    he had up to 600rmb that he could spend on bike stuff and I asked my
    favorite mechanic for help.

    Quoted message said:

    Frank now has his first Giant jersey, his first pair of Giant bike
    shorts, an odometer, and a Giant race bike. Nothing extra special.

    Quoted message said:

    He and I had determined that he had up to 600rmb that he could spend
    on a new bike. So the new bike cost 600rmb. Exactly 600rmb. Even
    when the price tag still stuck to the front hub of the wheelset says
    480rmb his bike cost 600rmb because that is how much he had to spend
    on a new bike.

    -M

    Lovely story, M. Keep 'em coming.

    This "hand it down, get 'em riding, keep 'em going" stuff with strong
    young riders is exactly how the sport works wherever it does work. Good
    job.

    -RjC, currently up to his behind in ludicrous bike projects.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com/
    "I don't want kids who are thinking about going into mathematics
    to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos

  3. Ryan Cousineau said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted post said:

    Frank now has his first Giant jersey, his first pair of Giant bike
    shorts, an odometer, and a Giant race bike. Nothing extra special.
    He and I had determined that he had up to 600rmb that he could spend
    on a new bike. So the new bike cost 600rmb. Exactly 600rmb. Even
    when the price tag still stuck to the front hub of the wheelset says
    480rmb his bike cost 600rmb because that is how much he had to spend
    on a new bike.

    Quoted message said:

    -M

    Lovely story, M. Keep 'em coming.

    This "hand it down, get 'em riding, keep 'em going" stuff with strong
    young riders is exactly how the sport works wherever it does work. Good
    job.

    And if the bike had been finished before the bike shop owner came in
    to work he might have gotten that one. Instead there is now a mostly
    finished bike in storage at the shop that I'm supposed to decide what
    to do with and he's got a completely different bike. With a lot more
    new parts.

    Until I get my Habanero (any week now me and Mark will finish talking
    about my buying it, then I'll send him the money, then I get the
    frame, and then I build the bike) his race bike is now nicer than _my_
    race bike.

    -M

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.