Frankie Andreu - Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Time Cop, Jul 8, 2003.

  1. Time Cop

    Time Cop New Member

    Joined:
    May 14, 2003
    Does anyone else feel uncomfortable when Frankie Andreu's segments come on OLN and he starts asking questions?

    The guy certainly has experience as a Tour rider, but when it comes to asking a question, he just can't seem to come up with a good one.

    It reminds me of the 1990 Tour coverage on ABC Sports and "Good Morning America" with Beth Ruyak asking Greg LeMond, "How much do those (tri-)bars help?"

    Tags:

  2. Time Cop <[email protected]> wrote in news:3f0ace79_3 @news.chariot.net.au:

    > Does anyone else feel uncomfortable when Frankie Andreu's segments come on OLN and he starts
    > asking questions?
    >
    > The guy certainly has experience as a Tour rider, but when it comes to asking a question, he just
    > can't seem to come up with a good one.
    >
    > It reminds me of the 1990 Tour coverage on ABC Sports and "Good Morning America" with
    > http://www.icechampions.com/saltlake02/opening/openingcer- emony/o16.jpgBeth Ruyak asking Greg
    > LeMond, "How much do those (tri-)bars help?"

    I think its just that they give him the worst assignments. Like going to the hospital or hotel room
    to see how an injured rider is doing. Its hard to work with something like that.

    - Boyd S.

  3. "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Time Cop <[email protected]> wrote in news:3f0ace79_3 @news.chariot.net.au:
    >
    > > Does anyone else feel uncomfortable when Frankie Andreu's segments come on OLN and he starts
    > > asking questions?

    <SNIP >

    > I think its just that they give him the worst assignments. Like going to the hospital or hotel
    > room to see how an injured rider is doing. Its hard to work with something like that.
    >
    > - Boyd S.

    I think Frankie's skill as a reporter was summed up last year after the Plateau de Beille stage.
    Right after the finish, he went up to Armstrong and asked him "Is this the hardest stage in the
    Tour?" Lance seemed stunned for a minute that such a question would come out of a person who had
    ridden the Tour so many times. He then replied something to the effect of "Get Real , Ventoux is
    MUCH harder!"

    If that's the best he can do after such a dramatic stage, no wonder they're sending him to hospitals
    and hotel rooms.

    -T

    P.S. - I thought Frankie had broken ties with USPS, but last time I checked, he was still posting
    articles on their web site. What's up with that?

  4. Al

    Al Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, usenet- [email protected] says...
    > Does anyone else feel uncomfortable when Frankie Andreu's segments come on OLN and he starts
    > asking questions?
    >
    > The guy certainly has experience as a Tour rider, but when it comes to asking a question, he just
    > can't seem to come up with a good one.
    >
    > It reminds me of the 1990 Tour coverage on ABC Sports and "Good Morning America" with
    > http://www.icechampions.com/saltlake02/opening/openingcer- emony/o16.jpgBeth Ruyak asking Greg
    > LeMond, "How much do those (tri-)bars help?"

    Also reminiscent of Mark Spitz's various swimming commentaries... while I believe him to be one of
    the more impressive and underrated athletes of the century, his experience didn't evidently amount
    to squat when came to meaningful verbal contributions. If memory serves, his recurring theme was
    "It's very important that you swim down the *middle* of the lane."

  5. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

  6. Jmk

    Jmk Guest

    I'll say Yay....... although I understand what you mean about feeling uncomfortable when Frankie
    starts asking questions. In his defense, I did have an opportunity to hear him speak at a cycling
    banquet about 18 months ago. He did a presentation with a lap top PC and LCD projector with pictures
    of the TdF. It was a good presentation and he shared his experiences in the tour and in racing. He
    answered questions until there were no more, and after that he took photos with people. I left the
    dinner having learned that he is real nice guy.

    Jim

    "Time Cop" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone else feel uncomfortable when Frankie Andreu's segments come on OLN and he starts
    > asking questions?
    >
    > The guy certainly has experience as a Tour rider, but when it comes to asking a question, he just
    > can't seem to come up with a good one.
    >
    > It reminds me of the 1990 Tour coverage on ABC Sports and "Good Morning America" with
    > http://www.icechampions.com/saltlake02/opening/openingcer- emony/o16.jpgBeth Ruyak asking Greg
    > LeMond, "How much do those (tri-)bars help?"

  7. Royg

    Royg Guest

    Yes, I agree. I really think if he took a few stiff drinks before the cameras started rolling, he
    might be able to go with the flow and do a decent interview. Otherwise, he keeps coming off stiff,
    mechanical, and intense.

    "Tom Schulenburg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:D[email protected]...

    > "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Time Cop <[email protected]> wrote in news:3f0ace79_3 @news.chariot.net.au:
    > >
    > > > Does anyone else feel uncomfortable when Frankie Andreu's segments
    come
    > > > on OLN and he starts asking questions?
    > > >

    > <SNIP >
    > >

    > > I think its just that they give him the worst assignments. Like going to the hospital or hotel
    > > room to see how an injured rider is doing. Its hard to work with something like that.
    > >
    > > - Boyd S.
    >
    > I think Frankie's skill as a reporter was summed up last year after the Plateau de Beille stage.
    > Right after the finish, he went up to Armstrong
    and
    > asked him "Is this the hardest stage in the Tour?" Lance seemed stunned
    for
    > a minute that such a question would come out of a person who had ridden
    the
    > Tour so many times. He then replied something to the effect of "Get Real , Ventoux is MUCH
    > harder!"
    >
    > If that's the best he can do after such a dramatic stage, no wonder
    they're
    > sending him to hospitals and hotel rooms.
    >
    > -T
    >
    > P.S. - I thought Frankie had broken ties with USPS, but last time I
    checked,
    > he was still posting articles on their web site. What's up with that?

  8. Ep

    Ep Guest

    It was terrible when Frankie asked Tyler if the work that Tyler's trainer was doing was "hocus
    pocus." And Tyler's trainer was right there. That was terrible and wrong.

    "Time Cop" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    Does anyone else feel uncomfortable when Frankie Andreu's segments come on OLN and he starts asking
    questions?

    The guy certainly has experience as a Tour rider, but when it comes to asking a question, he just
    can't seem to come up with a good one.

    It reminds me of the 1990 Tour coverage on ABC Sports and "Good Morning America" with
    http://www.icechampions.com/saltlake02/opening/openingcer- emony/o16.jpgBeth Ruyak asking Greg
    LeMond, "How much do those (tri-)bars help?"

  9. Emma, I was watching that segment of the coverage with my kids and they both looked at me and asked
    "who this guy asking the dumb questions was"! Ham fisted is a pleasant way to describe F.A.'s
    efforts. He also has a tendency to ask a question and without giving the subject a chance to
    consider a reply he asks another or a follow up question usualy over-top of the subjects reply. The
    usual result is a chaotic interview. Mike

    news:<[email protected]>...

  10. In article <[email protected]>, Time Cop <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Does anyone else feel uncomfortable when Frankie Andreu's segments come on OLN and he starts
    > asking questions?
    >
    > The guy certainly has experience as a Tour rider, but when it comes to asking a question, he just
    > can't seem to come up with a good one.
    >
    > It reminds me of the 1990 Tour coverage on ABC Sports and "Good Morning America" with
    > http://www.icechampions.com/saltlake02/opening/openingcer- emony/o16.jpgBeth Ruyak asking Greg
    > LeMond, "How much do those (tri-)bars help?"

    He really is a liability. I think I said somewhere else he has all the on air personality of a
    mannequin. He may have been a great cyclist, but he's a bit of a himbo.

  11. Scottw44

    Scottw44 Guest

    Frankie has access to Lance that is unlike that of any other reporter. Plus he seems like a nice guy
    and seems to warm as he gets a few q's in.

    IMO, no Frankie=less Lance.

    --
    scott

    [email protected]

  12. Fbicker

    Fbicker Guest

    Frankie does a good job with the time given him. 10 sec to interview someone, 10 sec isn't much time
    to ask and receive an answer to your question. He needs more time to get into the swing of the
    things. I enjoy hearing him explain the tech stuff...

  13. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    He be much better after popping a Valium.

    "Fbicker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Frankie does a good job with the time given him. 10 sec to interview
    someone,
    > 10 sec isn't much time to ask and receive an answer to your question. He
    needs
    > more time to get into the swing of the things. I enjoy hearing him
    explain the
    > tech stuff...

  14. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "scottw44" <[email protected] me garbage.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Frankie has access to Lance that is unlike that of any other reporter.
    Plus
    > he seems like a nice guy and seems to warm as he gets a few q's in.
    >
    > IMO, no Frankie=less Lance.
    > --
    > scott
    >
    > [email protected]

    I don't know if less, but certainly less open. The only time I have seen him at ease is when Frankie
    is talking to him. Imagine how he would react to certain other ex-cyclists. Greg Lemond asks him,
    "So how does it feel to have a chance at beating my virtual Tour record?"

  15. Al

    Al Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, scottw44 @bellsouth.stopsendng says...
    > Frankie has access to Lance that is unlike that of any other reporter. Plus he seems like a nice
    > guy and seems to warm as he gets a few q's in.
    >
    > IMO, no Frankie=less Lance.

    Good observation, but I hope it isn't true. I like to believe that Lance wouldn't disregard the role
    OLN plays in U.S. coverage (whomever might be interviewing him, and however much you do or don't
    care for it)
    - if not for the sake of fostering cycling interest in the U.S. then for the sake of influencing his
    own charity work (more face time = more contributions)

  16. John Spann

    John Spann Guest

    Time Cop wrote:
    > Does anyone else feel uncomfortable when Frankie Andreu's segments come on OLN and he starts
    > asking questions?
    >
    > The guy certainly has experience as a Tour rider, but when it comes to asking a question, he just
    > can't seem to come up with a good one.
    >
    > It reminds me of the 1990 Tour coverage on ABC Sports and "Good Morning America" with
    > http://www.icechampions.com/saltlake02/opening/openingcer- emony/o16.jpgBeth Ruyak asking Greg
    > LeMond, "How much do those (tri-)bars help?"

    Even my wife says, "He may have been a decent rider, but he's a dumbass."

    John

  17. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "scottw44" <[email protected] me garbage.com> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Frankie has access to Lance that is unlike that of any other reporter.
    > Plus
    > > he seems like a nice guy and seems to warm as he gets a few q's in.
    > >
    > > IMO, no Frankie=less Lance.
    > > --
    > > scott
    > >
    > > [email protected]
    >
    > I don't know if less, but certainly less open. The only time I have seen him at ease is when
    > Frankie is talking to him. Imagine how he would react to certain other ex-cyclists. Greg Lemond
    > asks him, "So how does it feel to have a chance at beating my virtual Tour record?"

    http://outsideonline.com/outside/features/200306/200306_lance_1.html

    One theme of this profile of Lance (and yay to Outside for having every darned article they've ever
    published online; I found a profile of Armstrong from about 1994 in their archives) is the extreme
    level of loyalty he demands and delivers:

    http://outsideonline.com/outside/features/200306/200306_lance_5.html

    Sounds like a guy unlikely to open up unless he really trusts the interviewer.

  18. Ha'Keedohn

    Ha'Keedohn Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "jmk" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I'll say Yay....... although I understand what you mean about feeling uncomfortable when Frankie
    > starts asking questions. In his defense, I did have an opportunity to hear him speak at a cycling
    > banquet about 18 months ago. He did a presentation with a lap top PC and LCD projector with
    > pictures of the TdF. It was a good presentation and he shared his experiences in the tour and in
    > racing. He answered questions until there were no more, and after that he took photos with people.
    > I left the dinner having learned that he is real nice guy.

    Our club had Frankie speak this past year, and then he did a ride with us. I took my two boys (ages
    10 & 12-just starting to race) with me, and they rode along on the ride too. Frankie was
    exceptionally friendly with my boys, and took time out during the ride, and at a short stop to come
    over and make conversation with them. He answered their questions about bicycle racing, and gave
    them the time that many others probably would not have bothered to.

    Frankie is a class person in my book.
    --
    Ha'Keedohn

    To finish the race requires a heart that won't quit when the body begs it to... ...Greg Lemond