Freaking A-HOLES!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by bianchi10, Jun 15, 2010.

1. bianchi10

bianchi10 New Member

Anyone here also members or visit "bikeforums.NET"? SWEET JEBUS those guys are freaking A-HOLES!!!! half the people there are on there just to create drama by replying with things like..."who F'ing cares, some people just shouldnt reproduce, what a stupid question!, what ar eyou some kind of rookie!?"
    Isn't that what a forum is all about, to ask questions and gain knowledge from others who know? This just wasnt with me, but with tons of other threads as well.

I really appreciate the "brotherhood" that is within this forum. not to often will someone look down on another for asking a question, because that's how you learn when you are starting out.

Any-Hooo just had to get that off my chest.

Cheers to everyone at cyclingforums.com and thanks for making this an open and welcome place to learn!

Tags:

2. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

Never tried bikeforums.com. Have had very similiar experiences with folks at bikeforums.net. A bunch of know-it-all, bike snob pricks over there too...

3. cyberlegend1994

cyberlegend1994 Moderator

Fixed.
    That's part of the reason I stopped going there (not to mention this forum was the first cycling-related forum I joined :D ). Welcome to the club of bikeforums.net refugees... :cool:

4. bianchi10

bianchi10 New Member

sorry I meant to say...".net"

5. bianchi10

bianchi10 New Member

thanks for the fix :D, as far as refugee goes....funny thing is I joined 2 days ago and I have already erased my info! It only took me 2 days before I had enough.

6. cyberlegend1994

I did the same thing for a different reason, not sure if I want to get started on that reason - I could go on and on - I lasted all of 43 posts... :rolleyes:

7. serra

serra New Member

Uh oh. First off, I want immunity! :D I'm actually a member of both forums. The two forums have a slightly different take on things, and it's interesting to me to hear the different ways people interpret things, and whats important to others. I enjoy both, to me each has it's own merits. I really do appreciate the "brotherhood" as it was called on this forum. Bikeforums feels more open (especially to hostility). This site feels more like some sort of cycling get together where everyone gets along pretty well and helps each other out.

8. cyberlegend1994

You got it. :cool:
    That just goes to show that some people can handle a hostile environment better than others, you just need to have thick skin there. To anyone there who can handle that type of environment, my hat's off to them. IMHO, hostility isn't the only thing that forum is open to... [​IMG]

My main beef on that forum is with a certain anal-retentive administrator...

9. bianchi10

bianchi10 New Member

I agree you definitely need to have thick skin to participate there or know your stuff from the get go. One wrong comment or goof and they will jump your ship and black ball ya.

10. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

yup, i know the feeling from those guys as well

11. Scotty_Dog

Scotty_Dog New Member

I'm a member of both forums, but rarely even visit bikeforums.net....
    [snipped the rest of my paragraph-long rant despite being slightly inebriated and belligerent]

12. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Well, Bikeforums.net's reputation is well known throughout pretty much all of bike forum-dom. Perhaps it's that reputation that makes other forums operate differently. I dunno. Still, I wouldn't drink too much of the "brotherhood" kool aid.

Of all the bike forums, the one at Fairwheelbikes.com is likely one of the best behaved, most collegial forums around. It's also one of the most knowledgeable sites in terms of bike tech, wrenching, and etc. As an example, the owners did a massive crank test involving 17 cranksets. It was a thing of testing beauty, was objective, and best of all wasn't tainted by anyone from Pez Cycling. That's not to say that there aren't technically knowledgeable people here: Peter from Vecchio's is a one-stop shop for wrenching knowledge; and there's Wyoming's Dave who always seems to have solid advice to offer and might qualify as this forum's Yoda....or maybe Sphinx (quasi-obscure move reference).

Alas, forums are like saddles in that what works for a person is a personal choice.

13. tonyzackery

When you witness a person that can not initially be respectful to another individual, that speaks to that person's upbringing and/or current situation in life, IMO. An angry, bitter, petulant person away from the keyboard - you'll get an even angrier, more bitter and petulant person when anonomously typing on the keyboard...

Lastly, taking these forums things too seriously will ultimately result in a quick ride to the mental asylum and an appointment with Nurse Ratched:D...

14. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

Well said :)

15. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

I think the problrem with some experienced cylist is reading the same question 100 times and not remembering it is the first time that particular individual has asked it.

16. 64Paramount

64Paramount Active Member

Yep and I think if everyone kind of takes their turn answering those repetitous questions, then it helps to keep it from becoming drudgery for anyone.

17. tonyzackery

Agreed. With that said, most people probably can explain why a bike snob, know-it-all prick acts the way he/she does. However, explanations and understanding will always fall short in attempts to excuse the behavior in my book.

Being empathetic is a tough row-to-hoe for some; kinda speaks to my first post on this thread...

I'm off my soapbox...for the moment anyway...;)

18. NoRacer

NoRacer New Member

+1 - I'm on both, but hang out on a particular Northeast thread most of the time.

19. WAGGZ

WAGGZ New Member

I spend a lot of time on a painter's forum. and If one of you came over and asked how t paint your exterior they would rip you a new one. So I really appreicate how I've been welcomed here.

20. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

Ha! :D There's no doubt that Bike Forums has gone to the crapper in the last couple of years, particularly the Road sub-forum. I dunno if there is now a greater proportion of rude pricks on there, or that the numbers has simply increased, but whatever it is, it's definitely deteriorated. It's my observation (la di da) that most threads in 'Road' are littered with petty arguments, smarta'rse remarks, insults and really shi't attempts at humour. It's as if there are a bunch of losers (now I'm the one throwing insults :)) poised over their keyboard, waiting for each new thread to be posted so they can be the first with a smarta'rse comment.

And there are threads in 'Road' about the forum's "personalities"!! What the fark is up with that?!?

There a plenty of 'tough' guys over there, ready with a smart remark, but as soon as you ask them something which requires some knowledge, they go missing.

I reckon it's the McDonalds of cycling forums: tons of business, but a cheap and crappy product with little substance. There is some good stuff on there, but ya've gotta sort through so much rubbish to find it that it's not worth it.

One of their former moderators reckons its standards dropped when it was sold a few years ago.

But what really bothers me is that I have the time, and care enough to post this reply :D