Fred Bike of the 2000's?!?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Monkeyhillcs, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Monkeyhillcs

    Monkeyhillcs Guest

    1980's Bottechia 1990's Merlin 2000's Sevens? <--- did we ever decide if this was true? Seven
    started out with a lot of potential..but have been quiet until now.

    ****************************

    EVEN RE-UPS WITH McCONNELOUG Seven Cycles announced that it has renewed sponsorship deals with pro
    racers Mary McConneloug and Mike Broderick for 2003. The pair will be competing in a full schedule
    of mountain bike races, including the Sea Otter Classic, the NORBA National Championship Series,
    and several World Cup events. The sponsorship deal also signs the two racers on for the 2003
    cyclo-cross season. In 2002, McConneloug was sixth overall in the NORBA cross-country series and
    third overall in the short track series. She also earned a place on the U.S. national team and won
    the Verge New England Cyclo-cross Championship. Broderick had his strongest season to date in 2002,
    finishing 26th overall in the NCS.

    Tags:

  2. >Subject: Fred Bike of the 2000's?!? From: [email protected] (Monkeyhillcs) Date: 1/16/2003 10:26
    >PM Eastern Standard Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
    >
    >1980's Bottechia 1990's Merlin 2000's Sevens? <--- did we ever decide if this was true? Seven
    >started out with a lot of potential..but have been quiet until now.

    ARE YOU INSANE? THE TREK OCLV IS THE KING OF FRED THIS DECADE. LANCE SAYS SO. PLEASE DO NOT DRINK
    AND POST AT THE SAME TIME. THANK YOU.

    -----Sharon Peters Personal Trainer to the Stars-------- Remove "No Junk" to reply please!!!

  3. Cycling Joe

    Cycling Joe Guest

    TREK TREK TREK ... OCLV rules the Fred roost. Never mind that the average Fred is 30 pounds
    overweight.. that superlight frame easily cancels it out. :)

    Monkeyhillcs wrote:

    >1980's Bottechia 1990's Merlin 2000's Sevens? <--- did we ever decide if this was true? Seven
    >started out with a lot of potential..but have been quiet until now.
    >
    >****************************
    >
    > EVEN RE-UPS WITH McCONNELOUG Seven Cycles announced that it has renewed sponsorship deals with pro
    > racers Mary McConneloug and Mike Broderick for 2003. The pair will be competing in a full schedule
    > of mountain bike races, including the Sea Otter Classic, the NORBA National Championship Series,
    > and several World Cup events. The sponsorship deal also signs the two racers on for the 2003
    > cyclo-cross season. In 2002, McConneloug was sixth overall in the NORBA cross-country series and
    > third overall in the short track series. She also earned a place on the U.S. national team and won
    > the Verge New England Cyclo-cross Championship. Broderick had his strongest season to date in
    > 2002, finishing 26th overall in the NCS.

  4. Ken Papai

    Ken Papai Guest

    "Monkeyhillcs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > 1980's Bottechia 1990's Merlin 2000's Sevens? <--- did we ever decide if this was true?
    > Seven started
    out
    > with a lot of potential..but have been quiet until now.

    --> Whichever bike ronde champ used to "race".... <-- ;-)

  5. C_ronin_v

    C_ronin_v Guest

    I have a Seven :(

  6. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    I'm going to have to stick to my Litespeed opinion for the Fred bike of the
    2000s. Followed closely by all of the beginning triathletes I see on the 101 riding slowly on $5000
    bikes with all of the aero goodies.

    Too bad it seems you can either have the money to ride nice bikes, but not the time... Or the
    opposite. Of the two, I'd rather ride more!

    "Monkeyhillcs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > 1980's Bottechia 1990's Merlin 2000's Sevens? <--- did we ever decide if this was true?
    > Seven started
    out
    > with a lot of potential..but have been quiet until now.
    >
    > ****************************
    >
    > EVEN RE-UPS WITH McCONNELOUG Seven Cycles announced that it has renewed sponsorship deals
    > with pro
    racers
    > Mary McConneloug and Mike Broderick for 2003. The pair will be competing
    in a
    > full schedule of mountain bike races, including the Sea Otter Classic, the NORBA National
    > Championship Series, and several World Cup events. The sponsorship deal also signs the two racers
    > on for the 2003 cyclo-cross
    season.
    > In 2002, McConneloug was sixth overall in the NORBA cross-country series
    and
    > third overall in the short track series. She also earned a place on the
    U.S.
    > national team and won the Verge New England Cyclo-cross Championship.
    Broderick
    > had his strongest season to date in 2002, finishing 26th overall in the
    NCS.

  7. "Monkeyhillcs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > 1980's Bottechia 1990's Merlin 2000's Sevens? <--- did we ever decide if this was true?
    > Seven started
    out
    > with a lot of potential..but have been quiet until now.
    >
    > ****************************

    I vote for the Trimble Monocock.

    kg

  8. On 17 Jan 2003, Monkeyhillcs wrote:

    > 1980's Bottechia 1990's Merlin 2000's Sevens? <--- did we ever decide if this was true? Seven
    > started out with a lot of potential..but have been quiet until now.

    You've got it wrong for the '80s. The ultimate fred machine for that decade was Klein, especially if
    it had the 50th anniversary Campy group.

    -CM

    > ****************************
    >
    > EVEN RE-UPS WITH McCONNELOUG Seven Cycles announced that it has renewed sponsorship deals with
    > pro racers Mary McConneloug and Mike Broderick for 2003. The pair will be competing in a full
    > schedule of mountain bike races, including the Sea Otter Classic, the NORBA National Championship
    > Series, and several World Cup events. The sponsorship deal also signs the two racers on for the
    > 2003 cyclo-cross season. In 2002, McConneloug was sixth overall in the NORBA cross-country series
    > and third overall in the short track series. She also earned a place on the U.S. national team
    > and won the Verge New England Cyclo-cross Championship. Broderick had his strongest season to
    > date in 2002, finishing 26th overall in the NCS.

  9. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    I got to thinking about the definition of a Fred on my drive up the 101 the other day. According to
    me, a Fred is someone that is riding a "pro-level" bike, kitted out in all of the nicest stuff, with
    the "right" clothing (matching the bike if possible, failing that, his/her favorite pro team), but
    has absolutely no clue about riding in general.

    Riding a specific bike brand is not being Fredly in and of itself, its all the stuff that goes along
    with it that makes the difference.

    I was out the other day on the coast with a friend. She and I were toodling along at 30kph
    chatting away, when this guy on a "Supergo Special" GT road bike comes past. We catch him at the
    next light, clip in and get away faster, and wait. Yup, there he goes. Has to get past us again.
    Catch him on the next little (!) rise, 'cause we're still keeping about the same tempo. Zoom,
    there he goes again. I couldn't help but chuckle. He finally ran a few red lights that we stopped
    for, so off he went.

    Which brings me to one of my favorite rants: Lights are red for a fucking reason! If you run them on
    a bike, its making the drivers more aggravated than they already are, endangering those of us that
    actually ride the same roads on more or less a daily basis. Too bad the drivers can't tell the
    difference between the assholes and those of us that actually obey the rules.

    That's what makes a fred a Fred.

    Mike

    "Monkeyhillcs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > 1980's Bottechia 1990's Merlin 2000's Sevens? <--- did we ever decide if this was true?
    > Seven started
    out
    > with a lot of potential..but have been quiet until now.
    >
    > ****************************
    >
    > EVEN RE-UPS WITH McCONNELOUG Seven Cycles announced that it has renewed sponsorship deals
    > with pro
    racers
    > Mary McConneloug and Mike Broderick for 2003. The pair will be competing
    in a
    > full schedule of mountain bike races, including the Sea Otter Classic, the NORBA National
    > Championship Series, and several World Cup events. The sponsorship deal also signs the two racers
    > on for the 2003 cyclo-cross
    season.
    > In 2002, McConneloug was sixth overall in the NORBA cross-country series
    and
    > third overall in the short track series. She also earned a place on the
    U.S.
    > national team and won the Verge New England Cyclo-cross Championship.
    Broderick
    > had his strongest season to date in 2002, finishing 26th overall in the
    NCS.

  10. Bikerecker

    Bikerecker Guest

    I know Freds who ride Sevens, I know good 2's who ride em. What they have in common: lots of
    available cash, and a perfectioist bent. The damn things are works of art. My bud is a big ex power
    lifter who was breaking Litepseeds as rapidly as they could send him new warranty frames (palmares,
    ultimate, vortex, a total of 6 frames). He hs been on a Seven for a year without a complaint, so we
    will see if they are the shit or not. My own vortex lasted 17 month before the right chainstay
    broke, BTW. Greg

  11. Bikerecker

    Bikerecker Guest

    Fred bike of nineties and 2000's: C-40. I don't think I have actually seen one in a 1,2 race. That
    new goofy ass chainstay is as bizarre as some of the tube shaping Ernesto used to do in the 80's.
    The stuff sucks, is massively overpriced, and is painted up as pimp as any cadillac down in the
    projects. Greg had a 1983 Super for two years before it rusted through. wish I had a calfee, though

  12. "Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Gotta agree with Greg. I find it funny that folks call Merlin's & Seven's
    > "fred" bike. Yes it is true that many "Freds" ride them. But in my opinion they are "smart" Freds.

    <snip>

    I like to call them "dumb" Freds because they spend thousand of extra $$$ on their bike to save a
    pound or 2, yet carry 20 or more extra lbs. of fat on their body.

  13. "Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >. Is anyone else in this newsgroup still racing on a frame that they bought 9 years ago and that
    > still looks brand new?

    I race (I guess one could still call what I do, "racing") on a 1994 Diamondback Prevail TT - a Ti
    bike built by the fine folks at Sandvik special metals. It doubles as my commuter.

    I took the stickers off 7 years ago. The number one stoplight question that people ask me is: "What
    kind of bike is that - a Litespeed?".

    Maybe I'll buy a new bike one of these days.

    --
    ==================
    Kraig Willett www.biketechreview.com

  14. Danny Callen

    Danny Callen Guest

    > "Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > Gotta agree with Greg. I find it funny that folks call Merlin's &
    Seven's
    > > "fred" bike. Yes it is true that many "Freds" ride them. But in my
    opinion
    > > they are "smart" Freds.
    >

    > <snip>
    >

    > I like to call them "dumb" Freds because they spend thousand of extra $$$
    on
    > their bike to save a pound or 2, yet carry 20 or more extra lbs. of fat on their body.

    Have you ever heard the term reliability? How many bikes have you bought in 9 years? and if you're
    overweight you have to buy a bike that is heavy and will rust out in a few years? What kind of logic
    is that? Why is it that there is a majority of "riders" on this newsgroup that have some
    holier-than-though atitiude just because they can't afford something? I'm likely overweight in
    comparison to many of the folks on this newsgroup but I'll bet dollars to donuts I can drop more
    than half of you on a hill.

    Danny Callen

  15. "Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > "Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]b9.atl.mindspring.net...
    > > >
    > > > Gotta agree with Greg. I find it funny that folks call Merlin's &
    > Seven's
    > > > "fred" bike. Yes it is true that many "Freds" ride them. But in my
    > opinion
    > > > they are "smart" Freds.
    > >

    > > <snip>
    > >

    > > I like to call them "dumb" Freds because they spend thousand of extra
    $$$
    > on
    > > their bike to save a pound or 2, yet carry 20 or more extra lbs. of fat
    on
    > > their body.
    > >

    > Have you ever heard the term reliability? How many bikes have you bought
    in
    > 9 years? and if you're overweight you have to buy a bike that is heavy and will rust out in a few
    > years? What kind of logic is that? Why is it that there is a majority of "riders" on this
    > newsgroup that have some holier-than-though atitiude just because they can't afford something? I'm
    > likely overweight in comparison to many of the folks on this newsgroup but I'll bet dollars to
    > donuts I can drop more than half of you on a hill.

    Hey Fred -

    I have ridden the same custom ti bike for 10 years.

    Most people who buy nice bikes do so because of fashion, but they rationalize that a more expensive
    bike offers better performance while carrying 25 extra lbs.

    BTW, you can't drop me on a hill, Mr. Cat 3 Master. You shouldn't talk out smack like that unless
    you know the identity of who you're talking to.

    Kurgan Gringioni

  16. Danny Callen

    Danny Callen Guest

    > "Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > "Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...

    > > Seven's
    > > opinion
    > > >

    > > > <snip>
    > > >

    > > > I like to call them "dumb" Freds because they spend thousand of extra
    > $$$
    > > on
    > > > their bike to save a pound or 2, yet carry 20 or more extra lbs. of
    fat
    > on
    > > > their body.
    > > >

    > > Have you ever heard the term reliability? How many bikes have you bought
    > in
    > > 9 years? and if you're overweight you have to buy a bike that is heavy
    and
    > > will rust out in a few years? What kind of logic is that? Why is it that there is a majority of
    > > "riders" on this newsgroup that have some holier-than-though atitiude just because they can't
    > > afford something?
    I'm
    > > likely overweight in comparison to many of the folks on this newsgroup
    but
    > > I'll bet dollars to donuts I can drop more than half of you on a hill.
    >

    > Hey Fred -
    >
    > I have ridden the same custom ti bike for 10 years.
    >
    > Most people who buy nice bikes do so because of fashion, but they rationalize that a more
    > expensive bike offers better performance while carrying 25 extra lbs.
    >
    > BTW, you can't drop me on a hill, Mr. Cat 3 Master. You shouldn't talk out smack like that unless
    > you know the identity of who you're talking to.
    >

    > Kurgan Gringioni

    You're riding a custom TI and are calling me a "Fred"... that's damn funny! First maybe you should
    drop better than half the folks on this newsgroup. (Mostly refering to the Fat Cyclist thread where
    skinny folks think they're superior atheletes 'cause they're skinny..don't work that way does it).
    Are ya feeling inadequate or somethin'? Who knows maybe I'm just feelin' bloated?

    Speculating on why someone buys a good bike and calling it "fashion" or "fredly" sounds an awful lot
    like penis-envy to me! BTW, maybe you should know who you're talking to as well. I'm no wannabee..I
    may be a has been ..or never was...but I know exactlyt where I stand...sorry gotta go polish that
    tarnished National Championship Medal..!

    Danny Callen ...never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you
    everytime 'cause they have more experience...

  17. "Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > You're riding a custom TI and are calling me a "Fred"... that's damn
    funny!

    Mmm hmmm. I didn't get to ride it most of that ten years because I had to ride team issue bikes.

    > First maybe you should go back and look at what I said. I didn't single
    you
    > out and say I could drop "you". I said I could drop better than half the folks on this newsgroup.
    > (Mostly refering to the Fat Cyclist thread where skinny folks think they're superior atheletes
    > 'cause they're skinny..don't work that way does it). Are ya feeling inadequate or somethin'? Who
    > knows maybe I'm just feelin' bloated?
    >
    > Speculating on why someone buys a good bike and calling it "fashion" or "fredly" sounds an awful
    > lot like penis-envy to me!

    It's fashion because all the bikes these days are good and Freds buy a new bike every few years
    whether they need one or not.

    >BTW, maybe you should know who you're talking to as well. I'm no wannabee..I may be a has been ..or
    >never was...but I know exactlyt where I stand...sorry gotta go polish that tarnished National
    >Championship Medal..!

    Masters, obviously, Cat 3 boy. I wouldn't brag about that stuff, Mr. desperate master Fred.

    What is a Cat 3? A racer not good enough to upgrade to Cat 2. What's a Cat 2? A racer not good
    enough to upgrade to Cat 1. What is a Cat 1? Someone not good enough to get good results in Pro/1
    races and get paid. Don't brag because there are always some, if not tens, or hundred of thousands
    of racers who are better than you.

    BTW, I used to be an equipment Fred. I didn't realize how Fredly that was until I figured out racing
    is about the mind, the body, and the soul, not the bike.

  18. DC -

    RE that nats medal - year, event, placing?

    -RJ

    "Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > "Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...

    > Seven's a
    > opinion

    > $$$ on
    > fat on
    > > > >

    > > > Have you ever heard the term reliability? How many bikes have you bought
    > in
    > > > 9 years? and if you're overweight you have to buy a bike that is heavy
    > and
    > > > will rust out in a few years? What kind of logic is that? Why is it that there is a majority
    > > > of "riders" on this newsgroup that have some holier-than-though atitiude just because they
    > > > can't afford something?
    > I'm
    > > > likely overweight in comparison to many of the folks on this newsgroup
    > but
    > > > I'll bet dollars to donuts I can drop more than half of you on a hill.
    > >

    > > Hey Fred -
    > >
    > > I have ridden the same custom ti bike for 10 years.
    > >
    > > Most people who buy nice bikes do so because of fashion, but they rationalize that a more
    > > expensive bike offers better performance while carrying 25 extra lbs.
    > >
    > > BTW, you can't drop me on a hill, Mr. Cat 3 Master. You shouldn't talk out smack like that
    > > unless you know the identity of who you're talking to.
    > >

    > > Kurgan Gringioni
    > >

    > You're riding a custom TI and are calling me a "Fred"... that's damn funny! First maybe you should
    > could drop better than half the folks on this newsgroup. (Mostly refering to the Fat Cyclist
    > thread where skinny folks think they're superior atheletes 'cause they're skinny..don't work that
    > way does it). Are ya feeling inadequate or somethin'? Who knows maybe I'm just feelin' bloated?
    >
    > Speculating on why someone buys a good bike and calling it "fashion" or "fredly" sounds an awful
    > lot like penis-envy to me! BTW, maybe you should know who you're talking to as well. I'm no
    > wannabee..I may be a has been ..or never was...but I know exactlyt where I stand...sorry gotta go
    > polish that tarnished National Championship Medal..!
    >
    > Danny Callen ...never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you
    > everytime 'cause they have more experience...

  19. Danny Callen

    Danny Callen Guest

    > "Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > >

    > > You're riding a custom TI and are calling me a "Fred"... that's damn
    > funny!
    >

    > Mmm hmmm. I didn't get to ride it most of that ten years because I had to ride team issue bikes.
    >

    > > First maybe you should go back and look at what I said. I didn't single
    > you
    > > out and say I could drop "you". I said I could drop better than half the folks on this
    > > newsgroup. (Mostly refering to the Fat Cyclist thread
    where
    > > skinny folks think they're superior atheletes 'cause they're
    skinny..don't
    > > work that way does it). Are ya feeling inadequate or somethin'? Who
    knows
    > > maybe I'm just feelin' bloated?
    > >
    > > Speculating on why someone buys a good bike and calling it "fashion" or "fredly" sounds an awful
    > > lot like penis-envy to me!
    >

    > It's fashion because all the bikes these days are good and Freds buy a new bike every few years
    > whether they need one or not.
    >

    > >BTW, maybe you should know who you're talking to as well. I'm no wannabee..I may be a has been
    > >..or never was...but I know exactlyt where I stand...sorry gotta go
    polish
    > > that tarnished National Championship Medal..!
    >

    > Masters, obviously, Cat 3 boy. I wouldn't brag about that stuff, Mr. desperate master Fred.
    >
    > What is a Cat 3? A racer not good enough to upgrade to Cat 2. What's a Cat 2? A racer not good
    > enough to upgrade to Cat 1. What is a Cat 1? Someone
    not
    > good enough to get good results in Pro/1 races and get paid. Don't brag because there are always
    > some, if not tens, or hundred of thousands of racers who are better than you.
    >
    > BTW, I used to be an equipment Fred. I didn't realize how Fredly that was until I figured out
    > racing is about the mind, the body, and the soul, not the bike.

    Wrong sport Kurg-man. You have an uncanny way of reading things in my post that aren't there.
    Cycling is the sport I do now to enjoy.. never said I was great at it like you have. I'm so glad
    that you are so proud of yourself. Glad to see you finally had an epiphoney; I've always known "it's
    not about the bike" and never really cared.

    I don't give a crap if you're Lance Armstrong, the fredliest thing you can do is put someone else
    down because of what they ride or what category they ride. I'm damn proud to be a Master racer. On
    the amount of training I do due to all my other responsibilities, I do pretty well. Sure I could
    have probably gone far at this sport but that't not what I do it for. Like I did say earlier, I know
    exactly where I am and have no delusions of grandeur. I'm sorry your Pro contract didn't come a
    reality and now you are destined to take out your frustrations on the inadequecies of others. Come
    find me at a race big shot and I'll buy you a beer. That'l make you feel better!

    Oh yeh and I use my "real" name...

    Danny Callen

  20. Ken Papai

    Ken Papai Guest

    "Kurgan Gringioni" <.adelphia.net...

    > "Danny Callen" <[email protected]
    > > >

    > > You're riding a custom TI and are calling me a "Fred"... that's damn
    > funny!
    >

    > Mmm hmmm. I didn't get to ride it most of that ten years because I had to ride team issue bikes.

    Why then does a google on "kurgan gringioni" return nothing? Whatever....

    > > First maybe you should go back and look at what I said. I didn't single
    > you
    > > out and say I could drop "you". I said I could drop better than half the folks on this
    > > newsgroup. (Mostly refering to the Fat Cyclist thread
    where
    > > skinny folks think they're superior atheletes 'cause they're
    skinny..don't
    > > work that way does it). Are ya feeling inadequate or somethin'? Who
    knows
    > > maybe I'm just feelin' bloated?
    > >
    > > Speculating on why someone buys a good bike and calling it "fashion" or "fredly" sounds an awful
    > > lot like penis-envy to me!
    >
    > It's fashion because all the bikes these days are good and Freds buy a new bike every few years
    > whether they need one or not.
    >

    > >BTW, maybe you should know who you're talking to as well. I'm no wannabee..I may be a has been
    > >..or never was...but I know exactlyt where I stand...sorry gotta go
    polish
    > > that tarnished National Championship Medal..!
    >
    > Masters, obviously, Cat 3 boy. I wouldn't brag about that stuff, Mr. desperate master Fred.

    You are so trolled mr. or ms. anonymous.

    > What is a Cat 3? A racer not good enough to upgrade to Cat 2. What's a Cat 2? A racer not good
    > enough to upgrade to Cat 1. What is a Cat 1? Someone
    not
    > good enough to get good results in Pro/1 races and get paid. Don't brag because there are always
    > some, if not tens, or hundred of thousands of racers who are better than you.

    Wrong. There are maybe 25,000 Cat. 3 racers or better in USA. 100s of thousands?

    > BTW, I used to be an equipment Fred. I didn't realize how Fredly that was until I figured out
    > racing is about the mind, the body, and the soul, not the bike.

    You're so soulful you're ashamed of your name!

    -Ken