Fred Bike of the 2000's?!?

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 18:36:03 GMT, heather halvorson <[email protected]> wrote:

>i forget just how amazingly stubborn a taurus can be. giving up and giving in,

People that post w/o their real name are rarely worth replying to.

Scott Johnson "There is nothing, I think, more unfortunate than to have soft, chubby, fat-looking
children who go to watch their school play basketball every Saturday and regard that as their
week's exercise."
- John F. Kennedy, 1962

"Top Sirloin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 18:36:03 GMT, heather halvorson <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >i forget just how amazingly stubborn a taurus can be. giving up and giving in,
>
> People that post w/o their real name are rarely worth replying to.

Ya, it's a complete waste of time.

Even worse is talking about them.

> "There is nothing, I think, more unfortunate than to have soft, chubby, fat-looking children who
> go to watch their school play basketball every Saturday and regard that as their week's
> exercise."
> - John F. Kennedy, 1962

What about soft, chubby, fat-looking old guys who 'race' expensive bikes and think they're athletes?

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 07:45:45 GMT, "Kurgan Gringioni"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>What about soft, chubby, fat-looking old guys who 'race' expensive bikes and think they're
>athletes?

The only "freds" are the people who don't race and brag about how fast they are.

"You should've seen me in the last group ride, I hammered (local fast racer) into the ground!"

I'm at a loss to explain over the overt materialistic envy displayed by cyclists. Maybe it's not
envy but some kind of anti-capitalist "we could've spent that money on the children/dolphins/trees"
backlash. Who cares.

If someone is racing, then they deserved to be called an athlete (you can still call them slow).
They may be slow and fat but at least they had the balls to race.

I don't see the point in denigrating someone who puts a _hobby_ in it's proper perspective and
competes as well as they can with the time they have available to train.

Scott Johnson "There is nothing, I think, more unfortunate than to have soft, chubby, fat-looking
children who go to watch their school play basketball every Saturday and regard that as their
week's exercise."
- John F. Kennedy, 1962

Despite having ragged on Albright earlier in the thread for keeping a Fred folder, I googled one of
my favorite Albrightisms:

> What happens to used Euro team cars? I'm sure engines and gearboxes are thrashed by the end of a
> season (driving for six hours in second and third gear, etc), but I always thought it would be
> cool to get one cheap and
throw in
> a new engine and gearbox.

If you could pull that off, then you would without a doubt be the Supreme Ruler of All Freds, no one
could touch you. You could laugh at the puny little freds who just wear a world champs jersey or the
Limar Mapei helmet or who don't shave their legs. You would be untouchable. I can picture it now:
you pull up to your next ride in your Saeco team car, step out of the car all kitted up, and take
your team issue Cannondale off the roof. You would be the man!

Andrew Albright

Is getting beat by a girl in the sprint in a 1/2 race "Fredly"???

On 1/20/03 12:28 PM, in article [email protected], "heather halvorson"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Mike S." wrote:
>>
>> I got to thinking about the definition of a Fred on my drive up the 101 the other day.
>
> here's a nice definition that i pulled out of my rbr folder-
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=+%22Chainring+marks%22+group:rec.bicycles.ra
> cing&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=91the3%24hd5%241%40nnrp1.deja.com&rnum=3 (and no, i am not stalking
> jv, i just have a good memory for things i have read, ok?)
>
> Fredliness is doing stupid stuff, doing things wrong when you should know better. The guy wearing
> tights and a short-sleeved jersey to train when it's 80 and sunny out is a fred, as is the guy
> training in shorts when it's 50 out. The guy constantly going too hard on easy days is a fred, as
> is the guy who always hammers the first hour of a 5-hour group training ride then quits early.
> Guys who have raced at Bear Mt. before yet still manage to stack it in the 180-degree hairpin at
> the base of the climb are freds. Guys who use horizontal dropouts then don't tighten their skewers
> and subsequently pull their wheels in a race are freds.
>
> You can suck, and yet not be a fred. Conversely, you can be good but still be a fred. We all do
> stupid **** from time to time, but the guys who just continue to do it when they ought to know
> better (see examples above) are freds.
>
> Chainring marks on the leg are fredly if you've been riding more than a few times because it's not
> that hard to avoid. Using heavy $900 carbon wheels to ride hilly double-centuries is fredly
> because there's no benefit to them, yet they are heavier and cost more than 3x what regular wheels
> are. Not being prepared for a group ride (no spare, no pump, inadequate clothes, squeaky bike) is
> fredly because you're disrespecting your training mates. Showing up late for group rides is
> fredly, as is showing up late when traveling to races with others. Winning the bunch sprint in a
> TTT is fredly (don't laugh, I had a teammate who was undefeated in TTT sprints).
>
> Calling new riders freds is fredly because you need to explain to them what they are doing wrong
> (if anything) before you can criticize them for not knowing better. Calling cyclists who do things
> differently (but not stupid for them maybe) freds is fredly.

news:<[email protected]>...
> I nominate the Trek Y-Foil.
>
> Andy Coggan

I'll add Cannondale to the list. What are they up to now, CAAD N+1? Maybe Dan Connelly knows? Talk
about your frangible frameset. Sheeesh.

Greg "frEDDY MERCKX rider" Hall

"heather halvorson" <[email protected]> wrote
> here's a nice definition that i pulled out of my rbr folder-

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=+%22Chainring+marks%22+group:rec.bicycles.
racing&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=91the3%24hd5%241%40nnrp1.deja.com&rnum=3
> (and no, i am not stalking jv, i just have a good memory for things i have read, ok?)

Hmmm. How interesting that you recall that article by the words "Chainring marks." I recall that
article by the words "TTT," "sprint," and "fred."

As for having a memory for things I have read, if you're still interested, there is distinct
seasonality in births so that more birthdays occur in Fall than in Spring (in North America). The
effect is pretty large, like 20-25%.

steve wrote:

> Is getting beat by a girl in the sprint in a 1/2 race "Fredly"???

er, i am a girl, steven, so i'm not sure what you expect me to say here? i don't consider the men
that i beat in my last race to be "fredly".

hey, i beat woody cox by 2 minutes on a 25 mile course! keep in mind, he only skates as
crosstraining, and hadn't been on his skates for months and months, while i was in peak flying form,
but wtf...i've yet to think of him as fredly.

lvg beat all the men in that race, not just jv.

heather

very very funny and fully worthy of a reposting.

heather

"steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BA51C54E.1C974%[email protected]...
> Is getting beat by a girl in the sprint in a 1/2 race "Fredly"???

Yes it is. Not many can lay claim to that fame.

OTOH, you could be fredly enough to be so slow that you're not even be eligible for the 1/2 race.

Or you could post links to pictures of your fat self on a bike racing newsgroup. That would be the
Apogee of Fredliness.

KG

Canuck wrote:

> "heather halvorson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > (and no, i am not stalking jv, i just have a good memory for things i have read, ok?)
>
> When did you quit stalking JV?

it was really more of a forced retirement, due to lack of new material. and besides, i'm not a
stalker, ok? i'm just an "intense fan".

heather

Robert Chung wrote:

> Hmmm. How interesting that you recall that article by the words "Chainring marks." I recall that
> article by the words "TTT," "sprint," and "fred."

i suppose i should have expected that *you* would notice something like that.

ok, my dark secret is out. i'm the queen of the chainring mark. if i ever get serious about
riding, the first thing i'm going to do is get a tattoo on my calf that looks just like a
chainring grease spot.

> As for having a memory for things I have read, if you're still interested, there is distinct
> seasonality in births so that more birthdays occur in Fall than in Spring (in North America). The
> effect is pretty large, like 20-25%.

and your conclusion?

fall baby, heather

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

> "steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BA51C54E.1C974%[email protected]...
> > Is getting beat by a girl in the sprint in a 1/2 race "Fredly"???
>
> Yes it is. Not many can lay claim to that fame.

thinking about it some more, (ie beating a dead horse), the fredliest (and funniest) aspect of
that story is taking the finish line picture, cropping out the girl, and putting it up on your
coaching page.

heather

heather halvorson wondered:
> and your conclusion?
>
> fall baby, heather

That occasionally things are more subtle than they first appear.

In article <[email protected]>, heather halvorson <[email protected]> wrote:

> ok, my dark secret is out. i'm the queen of the chainring mark. if i ever get serious about
> riding, the first thing i'm going to do is get a tattoo on my calf that looks just like a
> chainring grease spot.

If you get a big, all-black tribal style band on your calf, then the grease spot won't show up...

--
tanx, Howard

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, k?

For some people, quantity IS quality...

Robert Chung wrote:

> heather halvorson wondered:
> > and your conclusion?
> >
> > fall baby, heather
>
> That occasionally things are more subtle than they first appear.

while i agree with you here, i have no idea what you're talking about. if you want me to get it,
you'll have to explain more (and use small words, too)

thank you,! h
ps. i would have emailed this off topic message, but couldn't.

"heather halvorson" <[email protected]> wrote
> > That occasionally things are more subtle than they first appear.
>
> while i agree with you here, i have no idea what you're talking about. if you want me to get it,
> you'll have to explain more (and use small words, too)

Hmmm, I wasn't trying to be cryptic, just concise. You know, perhaps this *was* cryptic. For some
reason, I thought you had posed a question related to the distribution of birthdays by month in some
odd OT thread here in rbr, but I just googled and couldn't find it. No wonder you must have been
confused. Sorry.

Robert Chung wrote:

> Hmmm, I wasn't trying to be cryptic, just concise. You know, perhaps this *was* cryptic. For some
> reason, I thought you had posed a question related to the distribution of birthdays by month in
> some odd OT thread here in rbr, but I just googled and couldn't find it. No wonder you must have
> been confused. Sorry.

well, robert, i did post something like that a while back. however, it was in a different group, and
i used a different name, so if that's what you are referring to, you are a bigger stalker than i
could ever aspire to be.

i'm willing to believe it was a simple mistake, though. i'm not that paranoid yet!

heather btw, math 441, stats, was the only class i ever failed in my entire school "career".

"heather halvorson" <[email protected]> wrote

> Robert Chung wrote:
> >
> > Hmmm, I wasn't trying to be cryptic, just concise. You know, perhaps
this
> > *was* cryptic. For some reason, I thought you had posed a question
related
> > to the distribution of birthdays by month in some odd OT thread here in
rbr,
> > but I just googled and couldn't find it. No wonder you must have been confused. Sorry.
>
> well, robert, i did post something like that a while back. however, it was in a different group,
> and i used a different name, so if that's what you are referring to, you are a bigger stalker than
> i could ever aspire to be.
>
> i'm willing to believe it was a simple mistake, though. i'm not that paranoid yet!

1. I'm not a stalker.
2. If I were a stalker, I'd deny being a stalker.
3. Now I'm curious what group and what name.
4. If I were a stalker, I'd pretend I didn't already know.