Fred Whitton

Arthur Clune

Guest
Well, I did the Fred Whitton today, and the best I can say about it is that I got r
round. Unlike last year when I had a blinder of a day, this year I started off groveling
round and finished crawling and totally blown. I ended up walking nearly all of hardnott
when last year I rode it all. Most annoying. I was just under an hour slower in the end.

Memo to self: start slowly!

Anyone else ride it?

Don't get me wrong, perl is an OK operating system, but it lacks a
lightweight scripting language -- Walter Dnes

On 8 May 2005 20:36:01 GMT, "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Well, I did the Fred Whitton today, and the best I can say about it is that I got r
>round. Unlike last year when I had a blinder of a day, this year I started off groveling
>round and finished crawling and totally blown. I ended up walking nearly all of hardnott
>when last year I rode it all. Most annoying. I was just under an hour slower in the end.
>
>Memo to self: start slowly!
>
>Anyone else ride it?

When I first read this I thought 'what the f***s he on about', so then
I tried to find out...and got the picture.
Looks like quite a ride. The more I read the more I wanted to have a
crack. And he liked a pint of Guinness too....gets my vote.

Garry

Arthur Clune wrote:
> Well, I did the Fred Whitton today, and the best I can say about it
> is that I got r round. Unlike last year when I had a blinder of a
> day, this year I started off groveling round and finished crawling
> and totally blown. I ended up walking nearly all of hardnott when
> last year I rode it all. Most annoying. I was just under an hour
> slower in the end.
>
> Memo to self: start slowly!
>
> Anyone else ride it?

You would have been one of the hordes of cyclists I was sat watching
pass by over breakfast in a hotel just outside Ambleside then. Mind you
we paid for that breakfast shortly afterwards crossing the Garburn Pass.
Grand day out though and managed to miss all the showers.

--
Tony

"A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought" Lord
Peter Wimsey (Dorothy L. Sayers)

Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:

: You would have been one of the hordes of cyclists I was sat watching
: pass by over breakfast in a hotel just outside Ambleside then. Mind you
: we paid for that breakfast shortly afterwards crossing the Garburn Pass.
: Grand day out though and managed to miss all the showers.

I would indeed. There were 450 on the start sheet.

Today, my legs hurt.

Arthur

Don't get me wrong, perl is an OK operating system, but it lacks a
lightweight scripting language -- Walter Dnes

You might have seen me on Hardknott Arthur?
I was sat by the really nasty bit (the 2 hairpins connected with a bit of
33% road ;-)
A friend and I came over from the Cockley Beck side on a tandem - and
managed to get up it!
However, we'd only ridden about 30 miles, not 90 odd.

I was there to cheer on a couple of friends who'd flown over to do it.
One of them (wait for this) from Holland! did 7hrs 3mins! Just missed
Elite by 3mins. He was certainly looking impressive when he went past us on
Hardknott.
The other did 7hr 53min - and looked disappointed!

The chap on the hadcranked machine was impressive (did you see him?). Must
take a lot of guts to do the Fred Whitton on a handcranked bike.
Thinking of doing it next year on the tandem - but then again ;-))

Allan.
~~~
http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/index.htm
Italian Cycle tour reports and the home of...
Cycling Before Lycra

rhnb <[email protected]> wrote:
: You might have seen me on Hardknott Arthur?
: A friend and I came over from the Cockley Beck side on a tandem - and
: managed to get up it!

I'm impressed with that. I did indeed see you there. I was one of the many
knackered looking people walking up that steep pitch

: One of them (wait for this) from Holland! did 7hrs 3mins! Just missed
: Elite by 3mins. He was certainly looking impressive when he went past us on
: Hardknott. The other did 7hr 53min - and looked disappointed!

I did 8.00 and was very disappointed. I did 7.07 last year. This year my
legs just fell off at the start and it never really got better. Hey ho.

: The chap on the hadcranked machine was impressive (did you see him?). Must
: take a lot of guts to do the Fred Whitton on a handcranked bike.

We passed two guys on handcranked trikes at one point. I didn't realise they
were doing the whole route. Much respect.

Arthur

dkahn400 wrote:

> Looks like the 2 hand cyclists finished together in 13:48:00.
> Considering the power ratio of arm muscles to leg muscles that's
> rather impressive.

Pics of the hand-cyclists (and everyone else) here:

http://www.photogenic.plus.com/1 Sport/1 Cycling/2005_05May_08_Fred_Witton/index.html

I can see a few familiar names on the results page: one did 7:43, and
another two DNF. 8 hrs is not bad Arthur! 7.07 is even better!

Might have a crack at this next year.

Simonb <[email protected]> wrote:

: http://www.photogenic.plus.com/1 Sport/1 Cycling/2005_05May_08_Fred_Witton/index.html

My god. They managed to find a picture of me actually riding my bike on
Hardknott.

http://www.photogenic.plus.com/1 Sp..._Witton/3 Hardknott Pass/slides/_E3Z6258.html

That must have been one of the very few bits of the hill that I rode this
year. I think the look on my face says it all really.

Arthur

Arthur Clune wrote:

> That must have been one of the very few bits of the hill that I rode
> this year. I think the look on my face says it all really.

You're looking pretty relaxed there.

Arthur Clune wrote:

> I did 8.00 and was very disappointed. I did 7.07 last year.

Oh to be disappointed with 8 hours!!

Allan.