Fredly question for the group: Shoes

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by -=- Jd -=-, Feb 19, 2003.

  1. -=- Jd -=-

    -=- Jd -=- Guest

    I've got an old set of Shimano road shoes that I purchased some 9 or 10 years ago. They are still
    holding up, but.... the heels on both of 'em are ripping out (one worse than the other) as are the
    toes. They're just old and tired. I've resigned myself to spending a buck or two to get a new set,
    but from what little looking around I've done - I have yet to see any shoes on the market today that
    still use shoe strings. Is this asking to much? These old things (I went and grabbed one of 'em to
    see if there are still any identifiable markings on 'em as to make & model - not) have laces and a
    pr. of velcro straps - one at the bottom of the lacing and the other at the top. There is a 'cover'
    that is in between the laces and the velcro. They are a combination 'leather' and some kind of mesh
    body construction. They are 'silver/grey' in color. I paid a little over a $100.00 (US) for these
    back then - I believe that they were considered to be a quality shoe @the time. I like laces. I
    don't know about these new fangled things that have ratched straps and whatnot - guess I'm just an
    old fart. Anyone know of, or recommend a decent pair of shoes that have both a lace and velcro
    combo, in a $150.00 (+/- $25-30) price range. Usage will be strictly road - mostly training/club
    racing and some occasional weekend racing. They'll be used against look style pedals.

    Thanks...

    -=- jd -=-

    Tags:

  2. Cycling Joe

    Cycling Joe Guest

    I don't know about laces, but those new fangled shoes that have ratched straps are quite nice. I was
    old school too but honestly have been blown away at how well my Sidi's fit. Velcro alone on bike
    shoes just never feels right for me, but ratchet straps are the closest thing I can get to a lace
    style fit and feel.

    -=- jd -=- wrote:

    > I've got an old set of Shimano road shoes that I purchased some 9 or 10 years ago. They are still
    > holding up, but.... the heels on both of 'em are ripping out (one worse than the other) as are the
    > toes. They're just old and tired. I've resigned myself to spending a buck or two to get a new set,
    > but from what little looking around I've done
    > - I have yet to see any shoes on the market today that still use shoe strings. Is this asking to
    > much? These old things (I went and grabbed one of 'em to see if there are still any identifiable
    > markings on 'em as to make & model - not) have laces and a pr. of velcro straps - one at the
    > bottom of the lacing and the other at the top. There is a 'cover' that is in between the laces
    > and the velcro. They are a combination 'leather' and some kind of mesh body construction. They
    > are 'silver/grey' in color. I paid a little over a $100.00 (US) for these back then - I believe
    > that they were considered to be a quality shoe @the time. I like laces. I don't know about these
    > new fangled things that have ratched straps and whatnot - guess I'm just an old fart. Anyone
    > know of, or recommend a decent pair of shoes that have both a lace and velcro combo, in a
    > $150.00 (+/- $25-30) price range. Usage will be strictly road - mostly training/club racing and
    > some occasional weekend racing. They'll be used against look style pedals.
    >
    > Thanks...
    >
    > -=- jd -=-

  3. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    They were not a "quality shoe" at the time. Shimano makes acceptable quality shoes but nowhere good
    as, say, Sidi. Specialized makes some nice shoes for decent prices and under the velcro straps and
    cover are shoe laces which you might or not use at your whim. Shimano shoes are a little wider than
    standard Sidi and narrower than the Sidi Mega shoes. Specialized shoes are a little wide, perhaps a
    bit wider than Shimano.

    http://www.specialized.com/SBCEqSection.jsp?san=03EquipShoesRoad&brows elevel=shoes

    Order over the net if you are sure of your shoe sizes because few Specialized shops carry a
    comprehensive shoe selection.

    "-=- jd -=-" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I've got an old set of Shimano road shoes that I purchased some 9 or
    10
    > years ago. They are still holding up, but.... the heels on both of
    'em
    > are ripping out (one worse than the other) as are the toes. They're just old and tired. I've
    > resigned myself to spending a buck or two
    > get a new set, but from what little looking around I've done - I
    have
    > yet to see any shoes on the market today that still use shoe
    strings.
    > Is this asking to much? These old things (I went and grabbed one of
    'em
    > to see if there are still any identifiable markings on 'em as to
    make &
    > model - not) have laces and a pr. of velcro straps - one at the
    bottom
    > of the lacing and the other at the top. There is a 'cover' that is
    in
    > between the laces and the velcro. They are a combination 'leather'
    and
    > some kind of mesh body construction. They are 'silver/grey' in
    color. I
    > paid a little over a $100.00 (US) for these back then - I believe
    that
    > they were considered to be a quality shoe @the time. I like laces.
    > don't know about these new fangled things that have ratched straps
    and
    > whatnot - guess I'm just an old fart. Anyone know of, or recommend
    > decent pair of shoes that have both a lace and velcro combo, in a $150.00 (+/- $25-30) price
    > range. Usage will be strictly road -
    mostly
    > training/club racing and some occasional weekend racing. They'll be used against look
    > style pedals.
    >
    > Thanks...
    >
    > -=- jd -=-

  4. Take a look at the Lake line of shoes.

    I have used a pair of them since 1997-ish (~35,000 km). AFAIK, Shimano licensed their carbon sole
    technology.

    The ones I use have laces and velcro straps. A quick look at:

    http://www.lakecycling.com/cx_303.html

    seems to indicate they are still of the same basic construction.

    --
    ==================
    Kraig Willett www.biketechreview.com

  5. "Cycling Joe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I don't know about laces, but those new fangled shoes that have ratched straps are quite nice. I
    > was old school too but honestly have been blown away at how well my Sidi's fit. Velcro alone on
    > bike shoes just never feels right for me, but ratchet straps are the closest thing I can get to a
    > lace style fit and feel.
    >
    > -=- jd -=- wrote:

    As I'm not a native english speaker, I did a google picture search for "ratched straps" which came
    up with things that I have never seen on any shoes! That kind of straps you would use to tie down
    the cargo on a trailer or lorry.

    tuben

  6. -=- Jd -=-

    -=- Jd -=- Guest

    Thanks guys for the info. Tom - the shimano's fit my feet better and were far more comfortable
    than any of the previous 3 pr. I had prior to them, plus they outlasted the other shoes by years
    (literally). Quality is in the eye of the beholder I suppose. I do have (not real fat) but sort
    of wide feet - that may have been the singular difference to confort and longevity with them on
    my feet...

    Thanks again guys...

    -=- jd -=-

    Tom Kunich wrote:
    > They were not a "quality shoe" at the time. Shimano makes acceptable quality shoes but nowhere
    > good as, say, Sidi. Specialized makes some nice shoes for decent prices and under the velcro
    > straps and cover are shoe laces which you might or not use at your whim. Shimano shoes are a
    > little wider than standard Sidi and narrower than the Sidi Mega shoes. Specialized shoes are a
    > little wide, perhaps a bit wider than Shimano.
    >

    > http://www.specialized.com/SBCEqSection.jsp?san=03EquipShoesRoad&brows elevel=shoes
    >
    > Order over the net if you are sure of your shoe sizes because few Specialized shops carry a
    > comprehensive shoe selection.
    >
    > "-=- jd -=-" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>I've got an old set of Shimano road shoes that I purchased some 9 or
    >
    > 10
    >
    >>years ago. They are still holding up, but.... the heels on both of
    >
    > 'em
    >
    >>are ripping out (one worse than the other) as are the toes. They're just old and tired. I've
    >>resigned myself to spending a buck or two

    >>get a new set, but from what little looking around I've done - I
    >
    > have
    >
    >>yet to see any shoes on the market today that still use shoe
    >
    > strings.
    >
    >>Is this asking to much? These old things (I went and grabbed one of
    >
    > 'em
    >
    >>to see if there are still any identifiable markings on 'em as to
    >
    > make &
    >
    >>model - not) have laces and a pr. of velcro straps - one at the
    >
    > bottom
    >
    >>of the lacing and the other at the top. There is a 'cover' that is
    >
    > in
    >
    >>between the laces and the velcro. They are a combination 'leather'
    >
    > and
    >
    >>some kind of mesh body construction. They are 'silver/grey' in
    >
    > color. I
    >
    >>paid a little over a $100.00 (US) for these back then - I believe
    >
    > that
    >
    >>they were considered to be a quality shoe @the time. I like laces.

    >>don't know about these new fangled things that have ratched straps
    >
    > and
    >
    >>whatnot - guess I'm just an old fart. Anyone know of, or recommend

    >>decent pair of shoes that have both a lace and velcro combo, in a $150.00 (+/- $25-30) price
    >>range. Usage will be strictly road -
    >
    > mostly
    >
    >>training/club racing and some occasional weekend racing. They'll be used against look
    >>style pedals.
    >>
    >>Thanks...
    >>
    >>-=- jd -=-

  7. Cycling Joe

    Cycling Joe Guest

    --------------070207080208060105050703 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

    http://www.sidiusa.com/mtbs/images/mtbs-big/dominator4_blackblack.jpg

    The top strap is a ratchet strap. Hope that helps!

    Göran Thyberg wrote:

    >"Cycling Joe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >

    >>I don't know about laces, but those new fangled shoes that have ratched straps are quite nice. I
    >>was old school too but honestly have been blown away at how well my Sidi's fit. Velcro alone on
    >>bike shoes just never feels right for me, but ratchet straps are the closest thing I can get to a
    >>lace style fit and feel.
    >>
    >>-=- jd -=- wrote:
    >>

    >As I'm not a native english speaker, I did a google picture search for "ratched straps" which came
    >up with things that I have never seen on any shoes! That kind of straps you would use to tie down
    >the cargo on a trailer or lorry.
    >
    >tuben

    --------------070207080208060105050703 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> <html> <head> <meta
    class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.sidiusa.com/mtbs/images/mtbs-big/dominator4_blackbla-
    type="cite" cite="[email protected]"> <pre wrap="">"Cycling Joe" <a
    class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:[email protected]"><[email protected]></a>
    wrote in message <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
    href="news:[email protected]">news:[email protected]</a>... </pre> <blockquote
    type="cite"> <pre wrap="">I don't know about laces, but those new fangled shoes that have ratched
    straps are quite nice. I was old school too but honestly have been blown away at how well my Sidi's
    fit. Velcro alone on bike shoes just never feels right for me, but ratchet straps are the closest
    thing I can get to a lace style fit and feel.

    did a google picture search for "ratched straps" which came up with things that I have never seen on
    any shoes! That kind of straps you would use to tie down the cargo on a trailer or lorry.

    tuben

    --------------070207080208060105050703--

  8. Steve

    Steve Guest

    I agree, my Sidi Genius 3 shoes are great. Comfortable, fully adjustable and sturdy.