Free* bikes (Canberra)

BT Humble

Guest
OK, there are some conditions attached to my generosity:

* The bikes are located in Canberra, ACT, Australia;
* You'll have to pick them up yourself;
* There's a limit of 1 per "customer";
* For the rideable bikes, I *might* be convinced to deliver them
within Canberra for the cost of a bus ticket back to my home and a can
of diet coke;
* If you want me to do any repairs/servicing prior to delivery,
that'll cost you (but my rates are reasonable);
* Most of these bikes have come into my possession via a "Do you want
these? Otherwise I'm going to take them to the dump" scenario. To the
best of my knowledge none are stolen, but obviously I can't give a
100% guarantee.

You can see some pictures and descriptions here:

http://www.smallsolar.org/BTH/budgetbike/journal.htm#11dec2007

BTH

"In the interests of domestic harmony, I've decided to reduce my bicycle stable a little".

Never happens at our place. :)

cfsmtb wrote:
> "In the interests of domestic harmony, I've decided to reduce my bicycle
> stable a little".
>
> Never happens at our place. :)

I'm happy for you! But in truth, 11 bikes is probably just a few more
than I really need.

(Not counting the 3 motorcycles. Or the truck).

BTH

"BT Humble" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> OK, there are some conditions attached to my generosity:
>
> * The bikes are located in Canberra, ACT, Australia;
> * You'll have to pick them up yourself;
> * There's a limit of 1 per "customer";
> * For the rideable bikes, I *might* be convinced to deliver them
> within Canberra for the cost of a bus ticket back to my home and a can
> of diet coke;
> * If you want me to do any repairs/servicing prior to delivery,
> that'll cost you (but my rates are reasonable);
> * Most of these bikes have come into my possession via a "Do you want
> these? Otherwise I'm going to take them to the dump" scenario. To the
> best of my knowledge none are stolen, but obviously I can't give a
> 100% guarantee.
>
> You can see some pictures and descriptions here:
>
> http://www.smallsolar.org/BTH/budgetbike/journal.htm#11dec2007
>

> BTH

Brian,
In your journal you wrote 12/12/07 "After doing a few km of commuting with
the MegaRange cluster, I've decided that I don't much like the enormous jump
from 1st to 2nd, and the miniscule steps from there up to 6th." You wrote
that you'd bunged on a '70's five speed pending exploration of the spares
box.

I've been enthralled, in a horrified sort of way, by your account of budget
commuting on the mighty department store Blade and by your adventure on the
GVBR.

I'd love to contribute to the adventure if your spares box fails you. I have
a gen-you-wine Shimano Hyperglide six speed freewheel in 14 - 16 - 18 - 21 -
24 - 28, only a little used, only a little rusty which is yours for the
asking. Yes it is a spin-on freewheel, not a cassette and it would appear to
have the sprockets spaced approx. 5.3mm centre to centre. Overall width is
approx. 33mm. It's off a mid '90's MTB with indexed Shimano SIS thumb
shifter.
I'm surprised to find that the flaming things are still made and are pretty
cheap but this one is even cheaper to you if I just shove it in a brown bag
and send it. Drop me an address to rover109 at bigpond dot net dot au if you
can use it.

This freewheel is surplus to needs since I commenced doing up my old Shogun
Trailbreaker for sentiments sake. One good ebay find led to another and all
that is left of the original bike now is the frame and forks. Just the frame
and forks, but that's okay because the "steel is real" rigid at both ends
frame was the bit I liked most. With a nice coat of midnight blue Killrust
epoxy enamel it looks very fine with its second hand eyeletted Ritchey and
Alex rims and budget 21 speed Shimano Alivio drivetrain. This evening I put
on a set of lightweight 1.5" Maxxis Detonator semi slicks and it feels like
a rocket ship compared with my best tourer equipped with armour plated 1.95"
Schwalbe Marathon Plus's. The downside is that I'm back up to five
serviceable bikes again and it's hard to find excuses to ride them all :-(

Peter H

> "BT Humble" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>"After doing a few km of commuting with
> the MegaRange cluster, I've decided that I don't much like the enormous jump
> from 1st to 2nd, and the miniscule steps from there up to 6th."

Spoken like a true flatlander.

Peter Howard wrote:
> Brian,

Err, that's "Ben" actually. But a good guess! ;-)

> In your journal you wrote 12/12/07 "After doing a few km of commuting with
> the MegaRange cluster, I've decided that I don't much like the enormous jump
> from 1st to 2nd, and the miniscule steps from there up to 6th." You wrote
> that you'd bunged on a '70's five speed pending exploration of the spares
> box.
>
> I've been enthralled, in a horrified sort of way, by your account of budget
> commuting on the mighty department store Blade and by your adventure on the
> GVBR.

You'd be surprised how often I hear that. Traffic on my website has
gone up from 6MB/day to 80MB/day since I put up the GVBR pages. ;-)

> I'd love to contribute to the adventure if your spares box fails you. I have
> a gen-you-wine Shimano Hyperglide six speed freewheel in 14 - 16 - 18 - 21 -
> 24 - 28, only a little used, only a little rusty which is yours for the
> asking.

OK, done![1] I'll fire off an e-mail presently. If I don't use it on
this bike I'm sure I can find it a home elsewhere.

> This freewheel is surplus to needs since I commenced doing up my old Shogun
> Trailbreaker for sentiments sake. One good ebay find led to another and all
> that is left of the original bike now is the frame and forks. Just the frame
> and forks, but that's okay because the "steel is real" rigid at both ends
> frame was the bit I liked most. With a nice coat of midnight blue Killrust
> epoxy enamel it looks very fine with its second hand eyeletted Ritchey and
> Alex rims and budget 21 speed Shimano Alivio drivetrain. This evening I put
> on a set of lightweight 1.5" Maxxis Detonator semi slicks and it feels like
> a rocket ship compared with my best tourer equipped with armour plated 1.95"
> Schwalbe Marathon Plus's. The downside is that I'm back up to five
> serviceable bikes again and it's hard to find excuses to ride them all :-(

Ooh, sounds rather nice. It'll be too good to risk getting dirty when
you're done! ;-)

BTH
[1] A wise old bloke once told me "If someone offers you something for
nothing, even if you don't have a use for it right away, immediately
drop whatever you're doing and go and get it before he changes his
mind."

lemmiwinks wrote:
> > "BTHumble" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >"After doing a few km of commuting with
> > the MegaRange cluster, I've decided that I don't much like the enormous jump
> > from 1st to 2nd, and the miniscule steps from there up to 6th."

> Spoken like a true flatlander.

You're missing the point, you clapped-out cripple! ;-)

I *like* the low gear. What I don't like is the way it gives a low
1st gear, then a huge jump to a close-ratio 2-3-4-5-6-7. I'd prefer a
cluster that has a more even spacing across the whole range.

BTH

Ooh, you *****! ;-)

BT Humble wrote:
> Peter Howard wrote:
> > I've been enthralled, in a horrified sort of way, by your account of budget
> > commuting on the mighty department store Blade and by your adventure on the
> > GVBR.

> You'd be surprised how often I hear that. Traffic on my website has
> gone up from 6MB/day to 80MB/day since I put up the GVBR pages. ;-)
>
> > I'd love to contribute to the adventure if your spares box fails you. I have
> > a gen-you-wine Shimano Hyperglide six speed freewheel in 14 - 16 - 18 - 21 -
> > 24 - 28, only a little used, only a little rusty which is yours for the
> > asking.

> OK, done![1] I'll fire off an e-mail presently. If I don't use it on
> this bike I'm sure I can find it a home elsewhere.

It arrived today. Thank you kindly.

BTH