Free bikes for school kids..

David Martin

Guest
In the Society section of today's Herald (unfortunately not available
online) is an article about a scheme run by Glasgow city council where
they have loaned bikes to school kids.

Total budget is 40K, includes 12 weeks of cycle training, benefits for
kids especially in teh worse areas of Glasgow.

I'm not going to copy type the whole article (double page spread) but
here are the basics:

Kids get a decent bike (Trek 3900 is teh one in the picture).
Only 2 have been stolen (when locked in tenement close - shaired
stairwell in a block of flats for the hard of scots).
Kids can travel rapidly through areas they otherwise would have felt
intimidated to walk through due to the gang culture.
Teachers note improved attendance/attention span/fitness
Kids also learn to maintain the bikes.
Piloted at St Mungos School - now being rolled out to 4 others
(including Govan High School).
Other kids not in the scheme have started to ride to school, and some
staff.
School has a cycle club that gets kids involved.

I'll try to get a scan up at some point.

...d

> In the Society section of today's Herald (unfortunately not available
> online) is an article about a scheme run by Glasgow city council where
> they have loaned bikes to school kids.
> Total budget is 40K, includes 12 weeks of cycle training, benefits for
> kids especially in teh worse areas of Glasgow.

glasgow hassent Got any areas worse than others, and if the Council has
got 40K to spend on bikes they either Stole it or sold drugs to Raise
it ...

14

the14thdisciple wrote:

> glasgow hassent Got any areas worse than others

I can think of quite a few people (particularly in Embra) who might
consider that The Big Weege is "a worse area" in its entirety! ;-)

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

In article <[email protected]>
David Martin <[email protected]> wrote:
<snip>
> Kids can travel rapidly through areas they otherwise would have felt
> intimidated to walk through due to the gang culture.

I think the gangs will be riding around on better bikes before long.

Rob Morley wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>
> David Martin <[email protected]> wrote:
> <snip>
> > Kids can travel rapidly through areas they otherwise would have felt
> > intimidated to walk through due to the gang culture.

> I think the gangs will be riding around on better bikes before long.

That was a fear in the pilot, but out of 30 bikes, 2 got stolen. That
is roughly what one would expect from looking at bike insurance
premiums (about 10% of value per year).

But that does mean that 28 kids are now riding around on reasonable
bikes (even the local cycling club bikes aren't that good - we have
the 3500) who otherwise wouldn't be riding. And are doing better
academically and socially because of it.

...d

David Martin schreef:

> > I think the gangs will be riding around on better bikes before long.

> That was a fear in the pilot, but out of 30 bikes, 2 got stolen.

30 bikes For 40K ...? correct Me if i'm wrong, but That's 1333 UKP's
per bike ...?!!! glasgow Counsil Can afford to pay 1333 UKP's for a
BIKE???

either:

a) they're charging too mutch Tax
b) they're bloody Stupid

.... and Glasgow peapel Stand for that???

disgusting!

for That kined of money every kid in Glasgow could hafe their own gun,
their own Knife AND sustain a healthy drugs habbit.

14

the14thdisciple wrote:
> David Martin schreef:
>
> > > I think the gangs will be riding around on better bikes before long.

> > That was a fear in the pilot, but out of 30 bikes, 2 got stolen.

> 30 bikes For 40K ...? correct Me if i'm wrong, but That's 1333 UKP's
> per bike ...?!!!

You are wrong. The initial scheme was 30 bikes in one school. It will
be roleld out to 4 other schools at a total cost of 40,000. This
includes the cycle training and staff time as well as the bikes (which
should be available at a substantial discount.)

> glasgow Counsil Can afford to pay 1333 UKP's for a
> BIKE???
>
> either:
>
> a) they're charging too mutch Tax
> b) they're bloody Stupid
>
> ... and Glasgow peapel Stand for that???
>
> disgusting!
>
> for That kined of money every kid in Glasgow could hafe their own gun,
> their own Knife AND sustain a healthy drugs habbit.

Or get free English Language evening classes.

Though trying to teach the weegies english isn't high on my list of
desirable occupations.

...d