Free Bikes Instead of School Bus (long)

-Lsqnot Respond

Guest
The Nottingham local rag carries the article, below.

The interesting paras say

"Parents and pupils would get to chose bus pass or bike.

Many schools and parents are horrified at the proposals,
questioning whether the children would be safe cycling or
catching a public bus to and from school."

Seems a pretty good idea to me. On the one hand it
encourages cycling (which can never be bad) and on the other
it moves the money for buses into mainstream public buses
rather than dedicated school runs.

There are, of course, the usual horrified cries of
"cycling! you mean you want us to murder our children". And
outrage at children actually having to find out what their
legs are for.

Full article:

Nottingham's school buses could be axed to save money. The
city council is considering ditching them in favour of
pupil bus passes and cycling to school. But where will it
leave the children and how safe will they be? STEPHANIE
BUNGAY reports

School buses have been in use across the country for 60
years, providing a reassuring service delivering children
right to the schoolgates and back home at night.

Parents have been able to relax in the knowledge their
children are dropped off and picked up safely each day, and
that they are excused the dreaded school run.

But in Nottingham, school buses might soon be a thing
of the past.

The city council says they cost too much to run. The bill
this year is £2.8m, £800,000 over budget.

It wants to scrap the service, saving £600,000 a year that
could be ploughed back into education.

Under plans being considered by the council, pupils - both
primary and secondary - would instead either be given bus
passes or free bikes.

The council's preferred option is to buy youngsters from the
age of nine bikes, the cost of which would be capped. The
bikes would then be returned when the child left school.

Parents and pupils would get to chose bus pass or bike.

Many schools and parents are horrified at the proposals,
questioning whether the children would be safe cycling or
catching a public bus to and from school.

But Coun Graham Chapman, cabinet member for education, said:
"Of course there are going to be people out there who don't
like this; people who say they are going to be worse off or
that their kids will be in danger.

"But what people have to understand is we need to do this.
We are spending too much on our school buses. There is an
over-provision."

There are currently 20 school buses carrying 700 pupils
attending 15 schools. Of those, 500 are not even entitled to
free school transport and could lose out under the
proposals.

A further 1,000 pupils travel by bus using a pass paid for
by the council, though 400 of those are not legally entitled
to them and also could lose out.

Coun Chapman said it was yet to decided whether those pupils
not legally entitled to free transport but who get in anyway
would lose it should the changes be introduced.

He added: "It costs us over £1,000 per pupil a year on a
school bus. A bus pass for the year costs £190. That is a
significant saving which we can put into education in the
areas we want."

Free school transport was introduced after the 1944
Education Act entered the statute books, making it a legal
responsibility that parents made sure their children went to
school - and some parents complained they lived too far from
their nearest school.

It is enshrined in law for primary youngsters who live more
than two miles from their local school and secondary pupils
who live more than three miles away.

The council said that the bill for providing school buses
had spiralled since it took over control of education in the
city from the county council in 1998 because of higher fuel
costs. The cost is expected to rise by a further 25% to 30%
this year.

Many of the buses are travelling to and from schools
half empty.

A council spokesman said: "We had to put a halt to that. It
just could not go on."

But what about the safety of the children and impact on
adult bus users?

Head teachers contacted by the Post were concerned about
the plans.

Mike McKeever, deputy head at Trinity School, Aspley, said:
"Getting all our pupils to use public transport would not be
acceptable to us at all.

"To even consider it there would have to be significant
improvements in the provision. I would imagine all the
schools would agree with that."

Mr McKeever added: "Can you imagine large groups of children
all having to walk to one bus stop from different schools?

"We have no problem with our pupils on public buses, but it
is not the same for other schools and there could be all
sorts of trouble."

Steve Clarke, schools transport project manager for the
council, said: "I don't forsee us having massive problems.
The majority of youngsters who already get on public
transport are well-behaved. Yes, they are boisterous, but
that is all and most people appreciate that."

But he said the council would consider city-centre patrols
to make sure children were getting on buses safely and
behaving themselves.

Head of St Patrick's Catholic Primary, Wilford, Nick
Benzie said that he would prefer that school bus service
was kept running.

"The good thing about school buses is that they pick
children up from the school gates and drop them off
there," he said.

Mr McKeever said he was also concerned about the free bike
scheme. There had already been a number of bikes stolen at
his school - but his biggest worry was safety.

"We just don't have the infrastructure for this. There are
no proper safety routes and we would have children having to
take the A610.

"It would be dangerous for many children. We need to look at
this sensibly and think of the safety."

The changes have been drawn up in three stages.

Stage one, which will happen, starts this September,
when the number of school buses will be cut from 20 to
14. The remaining 14 buses will be changed from double
to single deckers.

Stage two, only under consideration, would be to persuade
Nottingham City Transport to put more buses on routes
serving schools in the morning and at going home time.

Barrie Burch, head of NCT, said: "I really can't say what we
are going to do. I have just spoken with the council and
need to consider all the implications.

"This is a serious issue. We can't just put a bus on.
They cost over £100,000 and we need to make sure it
will be used."

Coun Chapman said: "Stage three would be getting rid of
school buses and issuing bus passes instead and giving out
free bikes.

"I like the bikes option. Children need to keep fit and this
would be a great way of doing that."

The council says that though it is considering the stages
two and three changes, nothing is set in stone. But Mr
Chapman said that if they were approved everything would
hopefully be in place by September next year.

Coun Chapman said the council would keep to guidelines set
by the Royal Society of Prevention of Accidents restricting
the free bikes to children over nine, and all safety issues
would be considered.

A spokesman for the RoSPA said: "A bike scheme can have a
lot of positive benefits but everything must be done
correctly and all the road safety issues have to be in
place. There needs to be safe, dedicated cycle routes. That
is going to be the real test."

On that, Coun Chapman said: "We would look at cycle routes
and that is something we would introduce by working with
the schools.

"We would also have to look at providing helmets and
reflective pads."

Under the plans children would be given security locks and
bike sheds would be built at schools.

The council is also to appoint a transport plan co-ordinator
to work with schools.

Road safety groups have urged the council to consider
pupils' safety.

Simon Collister, from Brake, a road safety charity, which
works to reduce death and injuries on roads, said: "School
buses pick up children at school gates. If these changes
mean pupils, particularly younger ones, had to walk or cross
roads to get a bus, it is worrying.

"We would want to make sure that there were proper road
safety lessons for all students

"And we would also press for all roads around schools be a
20mph zone."

School bus changes: Stage one

From September, the number of school buses serving 15
primary and secondary schools in Nottingham will be cut
from 20 to 14.

The cuts will see:

Two double-decker buses serving St Augustine's Catholic
Primary, Mapperley, reduced to two single deckers

Two double deckers serving Elliot Durham Comprehensive,
Mapperley, replaced by one double decker

Two single deckers serving Bramcote Park Comprehensive and
Alderman White Comprehensive cut to one single decker

Two double deckers serving St Patrick's Catholic Primary
and South Wilford Primary, both Wilford, reduced to two
single deckers

Three double deckers serving Bluecoat Comprehensive, Manning
Comprehensive and Trinity School, Aspley, replaced by three
single deckers

Two single deckers serving Emmanuel School, Wilford,
replaced by one double decker

Two double deckers serving St Margaret Clitherow, Bestwood
Park, replaced by one double decker

A double decker serving St Teresa's, Aspley, replaced by a
single decker

A double decker serving St Edwards, St Ann's, replaced by a
single decker

A double decker serving Christ the King, Arnold, replaced by
a single decker

Two buses serving Fairham College, Clifton, axed altogether.

Pointing out potential problems

The council certainly has its work cut out to win over
parents and pupils going by those the Post talked to.

While school buses are expensive, most people think they are
the best option.

Lewis Slater, 15, from Wollaton, rides to school, but he
does not think it is for everyone.

"The good thing about a school bus is it takes you to your
home. If you live far from school you can't get a bike or
public transport. It is too inconvenient. I also think it
could lead to fights between pupils from different schools,
and there would be more bullying."

Charlotte Howldsworth, 14, from Bilborough, walks to
school. She said: "I would rather walk than use a bike
because I wear a skirt. I don't think the plans are good at
all. If you live far away it is going to make it difficult
to get to school.

"It is not going to be safe for pupils and there will be
trouble. You are better getting on just with kids from
your school."

Jennifer Cairney, a mother-of-six from Arnold, said: "I'd
like to see something like the US system of yellow buses
dropping kids off at the end of their streets. My three
eldest are having to walk about two miles to school because
there isn't a bus to take them.

"I think it's silly getting kids that young to go on public
transport. What do they do if there's no room on the bus?

"If kids were given bikes most of them would have to go on
major roads and I certainly wouldn't be happy with mine
riding on them."

Naran Rathod, parent/governor at Manning School, Aspley,
whose daughter uses public transport to get to school, said:
"I think getting secondary youngsters to use public
transport would work, but I don't think it would be
appropriate for primary pupils.

"I really don't think the bikes idea would be good. Road
congestion would put pupils at significant risk.

"There would also have to be an extensive system of cycle
tracks to provide a safe way to school.

"But there are parts of the city which are not adequate or
built for that. This should not be for all schools or all
pupils, because there will be some who physically can't
use bikes."

[Not Responding] wrote:

> [...]
> like to see something like the US system of yellow buses
> dropping kids off at the end of their streets. My three
> eldest are having to walk about two miles to school
> because there isn't a bus to take them.
>
> "I think it's silly getting kids that young to go on
> public transport. What do they do if there's no room on
> the bus?
>
> "If kids were given bikes most of them would have to go on
> major roads and I certainly wouldn't be happy with mine
> riding on them."
>
> Naran Rathod, parent/governor at Manning School, Aspley,
> whose daughter uses public transport to get to school,
> said: "I think getting secondary youngsters to use public
> transport would work, but I don't think it would be
> appropriate for primary pupils.
>
> "I really don't think the bikes idea would be good. Road
> congestion would put pupils at significant risk.

I suppose it depends on the route your child would have to
take to school. I'm big, ugly and aggressive and I would be
wary of cycling to work every day. I do so occasionally but
I feel the risk of being wiped out on the roads I have to
use is pretty high - traffic is very heavy, I have to cross
a huge 3-lane roundabout where cars can reach 50mph, and a
cyclist has recently been killed along the route (outside
the Hospital, which would have been quite convenient had
he/she only been injured). Basically, I have to feel lucky
and if I don't, I won't do
it. The accident I fear the most is the one I can do
nothing to avoid - the distracted lorry driver on his
mobile crushing me from behind (a la Bruce Bursford).
It's supposed to be rare but I've had some incredibly
near misses.

Cycle paths don't help me much. The pavement ones are used
as a parking lot by the local cretins, the surface of most
is "technical" and you have to stop for every side road.

I must admit, I would not have been a happy bunny with
Nathan cycling to school at age nine. Indeed, he didn't
cycle to school unaccompanied until the last year or so.
This may be a rural area, but we have a large number of HGVs
(most of which are courteous to cyclists) and being narrow
country lanes, you do get the berks (often yoof behind the
wheel of a Nova 1.0, or twit in large 4x4) who view such
roads as their own private rally tracks. Vernon or I cycled
with Nathan until we were satisfied he had developed enough
road sense to be able to cope with cycling alone and be safe
with regard to himself and other road users.

Norfolk, being a rural county, has a large number of kids
transported to school by school bus, as often schools are
over 3 miles from home and rural roads have no footpaths and
no lighting to make walking an option to reasonably
consider. I would not have allowed Nathan to walk to & from
school - I still wouldn't. I wouldn't do it myself to his
current school.

So I can understand school & parental reluctance to welcome
Nottingham's plans with open arms.

Saying the above - I grew up in a town. I walked to school
every day (about a mile there & a mile back I suppose to
grammar school & possibly double that to junior school). I
only had to cross one road en route and that was a quiet
estate road, plus there were footpaths the entire way). Kids
who were bussed in didn't have school buses laid on, they
had a local authority school bus pass, which they had to
show to the driver/conductor and were limited to certain
buses at certain times of day. That was the normal way of
doing things. This couldn't happen in my current rural
locality as there simply aren't the bus services to do it.
IT has to be LA-provided school bus in this area.

No simple answer to this one, perhaps. Kids need to learn
what their legs are for, yes, but I can completely
understand the reluctance of parents too.

Cheers, helen s

--This is an invalid email address to avoid spam-- to get
correct one remove fame & fortune
h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

--Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel
is switched off--

> He added: "It costs us over £1,000 per pupil a year on a
> school bus. A bus pass for the year costs £190. That is a
> significant saving which we can put into education in the
> areas we want."

Assuming 40 weeks in school and five days in the school
week, then that works out at about £5 a day. Methinks that
its more than the cost of fuel that is making it so
expensive...

> Charlotte Howldsworth, 14, from Bilborough, walks to
> school. She said: "I would rather walk than use a bike
> because I wear a skirt. I don't think the plans are good
> at all. If you live far away it is going to make it
> difficult to get to school.

No love, that's a belt not a skirt.

> Jennifer Cairney, a mother-of-six from Arnold, said: "I'd
> like to see something like the US system of yellow buses
> dropping kids off at the end of their streets. My three
> eldest are having to walk about two miles to school
> because there isn't a bus to take them.

2 miiles! That's ridiculous - it'll take 'em at least 10,
more like 15 minutes on the bike, and if they walked it the
poor darlings would be battling against the elements for an
entire 40 minutes! Next the schools will be insisting they
do some form of physical exercise in PE!

On Sat, 15 May 2004 15:35:46 +0100, Zog The Undeniable
<[email protected]> wrote in message <40a62b7d.0@entanet>:

>I suppose it depends on the route your child would have to
>take to school. I'm big, ugly and aggressive and I would be
>wary of cycling to work every day. I do so occasionally but
>I feel the risk of being wiped out on the roads I have to
>use is pretty high - traffic is very heavy

And I bet you that much of that traffic is made up of
parents of the sort who are complaining about this policy.
The idea of driving more carefully as a solution to the
danger cars pose to their children simply never occurs to a
lot of people. Probably because they are "above average"
drivers, like all the others...

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

On 15 May 2004 15:20:59 GMT, [email protected]
(dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

>I must admit, I would not have been a happy bunny with
>Nathan cycling to school at age nine. Indeed, he didn't
>cycle to school unaccompanied until the last year or so.

Michael cycled to school for the first time aged seven,
though he has never ridden more than a short distance
unaccompanied. Perhaps someone shoudl suggest to the parents
that they accompany thier children. On second thoughts,
they'd probably drive along behind in the car...

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

> I must admit, I would not have been a happy bunny with
> Nathan cycling to school at age nine. Indeed, he didn't
> cycle to school unaccompanied until the last year or so.
> This may be a rural area, but we have a large number of
> HGVs (most of which are courteous to cyclists) and being
> narrow country lanes, you do get the berks (often yoof
> behind the wheel of a Nova 1.0, or twit in large 4x4) who
> view such roads as their own private rally tracks. Vernon
> or I cycled with Nathan until we were satisfied he had
> developed enough road sense to be able to cope with
> cycling alone and be safe with regard to himself and other
> road users.

Isn't Nottingham the city where no-one speeds any more
because of blanket speed camera coverage? That would make
their roads a good bit safer and less frightening to cycle
on than average.

I cycled to school from 11. There were no cyclepaths at all,
and one narrow, congested main road. I reckon I'd have been
OK at 9, with training.

And Nottingham won't force anyone to cycle - there'll still
be a bus option.

Colin McKenzie

--
Why believe statistics? Ignore them and you can believe the
damned lies instead!

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> On 15 May 2004 15:20:59 GMT, [email protected]
> (dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) wrote in message <20040515112059.09153.00000995@mb-
> m19.aol.com>:
>

>>I must admit, I would not have been a happy bunny with
>>Nathan cycling to school at age nine. Indeed, he didn't
>>cycle to school unaccompanied until the last year or so.
>

> Michael cycled to school for the first time aged seven,
> though he has never ridden more than a short distance
> unaccompanied. Perhaps someone shoudl suggest to the
> parents that they accompany thier children. On second
> thoughts, they'd probably drive along behind in the car...

My elder one started riding to school accompanied aged 5 or
so in Belgium (about 1 km of moderate pavé with a bit of a
mur at each end) and now he is 8 and doing a rather shorter
and flatter ride in the Nottingham metropolis (but not the
CoN itself). He's mostly unaccompanied now due to the
difficulties of persuading him to wait for me to sort his
smaller, Down's Syndrome brother onto the trailer bike in
the usual morning rush. The whole ride is in a 20 mph limit
zone although part of it carries a fair amount of (usually
clogged-up) traffic at 08.55. Not had any major problems,
even though he has all the common sense of a woodlouse, and
is generally getting better at it.