Free road bike found in river.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simon Mason, Oct 19, 2003.

  1. Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Setting out for a 30 mile run yesterday, I headed for the Humber foreshore near the bridge and was
    > somewhat startled to see a Raleigh Team Banana road bike dumped in the mud flats at low tide.
    > After finding a plank of wood to walk on, I managed to drag it out of the river. I then hid it in
    > some gorse bushes and returned to pick it up today.
    >
    > I know it's not exactly akin to finding King John's jewels in The Wash but there's not a lot
    > wrong with it. Needs a front tyre, rear wheel and the crank sorting out. Gears and brakes
    > seem OK.
    >
    > http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zbanana.htm
    >
    > Will post photos of it on the mud flats later.

    Did ye not notice the bloated corpse of the previous owner while ye were there? It's there, just on
    the left of yon mudflat, I ken!

    Trev

  2. Marc

    Marc Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, ouch <> says...
    > Fair enough. maybe that's what I would do too, I don't really know. What would happen though if it
    > was on a "wanted" list and they found it in Simon's possession? Would he be charged with theft?

    Do the police charge anyone with anything nowadays unless there is camera/forensic evidence of
    some kind?

  3. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Pete Biggs" <pbiggmellon{remove_fruit}[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Unless it's why the bike's called the "Banana", those forks are well bent* and will give an
    > "interesting" ride. I've bought bikes with bent forks and true wheels. An ignorant/desperate
    > cyclist could easily have changed the wheel and continued with funny steering, or the original
    > wheel could possibly have survived the impact. Forks from a similar type & size abandoned or
    > second-hand bike might do fine.
    >
    > * I'll check by x-posting link to the pics to r.b.t

    Thanks for that Pete -I might be able to get some of the lads at our fitting shop at work to
    straighten them out. Simon

  4. On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 14:41:49 +0100, wrote:

    >>> Might I suggest a visit/call to your nearest police station? Someone, somewhere may be mourning
    >>> its loss...
    >>>
    >>> Scott Leckey
    >>>

    >>Considering the condition in which it must have been dumped that seems very unlikely......
    >>
    >>Rich
    >>

    > If I had my bike stolen and I could get it back, I'd want it back. If it's good enough for Simon,
    > it might be good enough for the original owner too.

    Well, it's perfectly possible to imagine circumstances where OP could be arrested and charged...
    He's riding the bike. The original owner, from whom it was stolen, sees him on it and reports him to
    the police. That *could* be enough for the OP to be arrested on suspicion. For the charge of theft
    to stick, all the elements have to be proved - ie that he dishonestly appropriated property
    belonging to another.

    * Does the bike belong to another? - Proved by the statement from the original owner.
    * Did the OP appropriate it? - Depends on what the OP says in interview, but you could start from
    the fact that he was found on it...
    * Was he dishonest? Depends on what the OP says in interview... Ultimately up to a court to decide,
    but it's usually better to avoid giving them the chance...

    And the simplest way to avoid the possibility would be to report the find to the police in the first
    place - very difficult then to sustain an allegation that he was being dishonest. AND it's very
    unlikely that they'll do anything else than ask for the description and tell you to keep it until
    the owner comes forward.

    If they do, then justice is served. And if not, the OP gets his bike perfectly legally...

    David.

  5. Tim Woodall

    Tim Woodall Guest

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 22:23:39 +0100, Adrian Boliston <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >> Indeed you are right, but then there's not the satisfaction of dragging
    > the
    >> thing out of the river, cleaning it up and getting it into working order then riding it. It just
    >> something that appeals.
    >
    > I guess similar to finding an old original cd of m$ windows 3.11 in a trashcan and getting it
    > installed sucessfully on your pc ;-)

    Did it come on CD? Somewhere I'm sure I've got a copy floating around on about eight floppies.

    Tim.

  6. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 20:34:27 +0000 (UTC), Tim Woodall <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Did it come on CD? Somewhere I'm sure I've got a copy floating around on about eight floppies.

    Sounds about right; I can't find mine. BTW, don't forget the 6 or 7 DOS floppies.

    Win95 14 floppies

    James

    --
    "Sorry mate, I didn't see you" is not a satisfactory excuse.

  7. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 12:00:15 +0100, "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Office '97 - 34 floppies IIRC...

    Mate of mine's Office 97 on one hacked CD. Very naughty.

    James

    --

  8. James Hodson wrote:

    > Mate of mine's Office 97 on one hacked CD. Very naughty.

    Likewise. One attempt at loading O97 from floppies was enuff...

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  9. On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 10:35:33 +0100, "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> in
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >James Hodson wrote:
    >
    >> Mate of mine's Office 97 on one hacked CD. Very naughty.
    >
    >Likewise. One attempt at loading O97 from floppies was enuff...

    I once read something years ago in a computer mag saying that inserting floppies for modern software
    was like being head toastmaker at the watford gap services.

    --
    "Netiquette" states that a signature should be no more than four lines long.

  10. Jose Marques

    Jose Marques Guest

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003, Adrian Boliston wrote:

    > I guess similar to finding an old original cd of m$ windows 3.11 in a trashcan and getting it
    > installed sucessfully on your pc ;-)

    Windows 3.11 came on floppies, six of them if I recall correctly.

    --
    Jose Marques