Free Spirit Rock Creek Bicycle. Junk or decent?

Basically I'm a newbie just looking for a decent bike. Something that's
not Huffy quality. I'm not a serious rider so I'm not looking to spring
for the latest Cannondale or anything.

Someone is selling a 10 Speed FREE SPIRIT ROCK CREEK - All Terrain -
Mountain Series

They claim it's in excellent condition, has Shimano Gears, 26 inch
tires.

They want $55.

Is it worth it or is it just money down a hole?

[email protected] wrote:
> Basically I'm a newbie just looking for a decent bike. Something that's
> not Huffy quality. I'm not a serious rider so I'm not looking to spring
> for the latest Cannondale or anything.
>
> Someone is selling a 10 Speed FREE SPIRIT ROCK CREEK - All Terrain -
> Mountain Series
>
> They claim it's in excellent condition, has Shimano Gears, 26 inch
> tires.
>
> They want $55.
>
> Is it worth it or is it just money down a hole?

If I remember right Free Spirit was sold by Sears? That may be right or
maybe not. But anyway it's not really worth much. And for not much more
you could go to a X-Mart department store and get something brand new,
but remember you get what you pay for.

Ken
--
The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets
old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without

"Ken C. M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] wrote:
>> Basically I'm a newbie just looking for a decent bike. Something that's
>> not Huffy quality. I'm not a serious rider so I'm not looking to spring
>> for the latest Cannondale or anything.
>>
>> Someone is selling a 10 Speed FREE SPIRIT ROCK CREEK - All Terrain -
>> Mountain Series
>>
>> They claim it's in excellent condition, has Shimano Gears, 26 inch
>> tires.
>>
>> They want $55. Is it worth it or is it just money down a hole?
>>

> If I remember right Free Spirit was sold by Sears? That may be right or
> maybe not. But anyway it's not really worth much. And for not much more
> you could go to a X-Mart department store and get something brand new, but
> remember you get what you pay for.
>
> Ken
> --
> The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets old
> and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without shocking
> the entire community. ~Ann Strong

Keep looking around. I bought a used Trek mountainbike at a yard sale for
$30. Thing was in great shape...just needed a good cleaning and minor
adjustments. That would be the perfect proget bike you were looking for. Try
Craigs list

John wrote:
> "Ken C. M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>> Basically I'm a newbie just looking for a decent bike. Something that's
>>> not Huffy quality. I'm not a serious rider so I'm not looking to spring
>>> for the latest Cannondale or anything.
>>>
>>> Someone is selling a 10 Speed FREE SPIRIT ROCK CREEK - All Terrain -
>>> Mountain Series
>>>
>>> They claim it's in excellent condition, has Shimano Gears, 26 inch
>>> tires.
>>>
>>> They want $55. Is it worth it or is it just money down a hole?
>>>

>> If I remember right Free Spirit was sold by Sears? That may be right or
>> maybe not. But anyway it's not really worth much. And for not much more
>> you could go to a X-Mart department store and get something brand new, but
>> remember you get what you pay for.
>>
>> Ken

Don't tell him that. A used damn near anything is better than a brand
new made in China from pot metal X-Mart bike. I have a 15 year old Huffy
that is nearing 10,000 miles and has only needed maintenance items, such
as a bottom bracket, newer and much better chainrings (changeable
cranks, unlike the newest China junk), and tires.
Next is my mid range Mongoose, where I finally wore out, ta-da, the
bottom bracket, same as the Huffy.
Now I am riding my Pacific Nomad, an upper low end Aluminum bike where
the only drawback to me is the stupid hand grips that have the lettering
on them that wants to imprint my hand after about 5 miles.
The look/don't look point for me is quite simple. If it has a one piece
crank that sticks you with the Chinese junk stock cranks, run, don't
walk away. Once past that minor but obvious clue you have eliminated the
bottom of the barrel junk.
>> --
>> The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets old
>> and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without shocking
>> the entire community. ~Ann Strong

> Keep looking around. I bought a used Trek mountainbike at a yard sale for
> $30. Thing was in great shape...just needed a good cleaning and minor
> adjustments. That would be the perfect proget bike you were looking for. Try
> Craigs list

YOU got lucky since the seller either just wanted to give it to a good
home or wasn't the original buyer. Some of the best stuff I have
blundered into was by a wife disposing of her husband's stuff, sometimes
just because she was ****** off at him and he was on a business trip, or
an ex-husband.
It really is a **** shoot.
Bill Baka

bill wrote:
> > "Ken C. M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> If I remember right Free Spirit was sold by Sears? That may be right or
> >> maybe not. But anyway it's not really worth much. And for not much more
> >> you could go to a X-Mart department store and get something brand new, but
> >> remember you get what you pay for.

> Don't tell him that. A used damn near anything is better than a brand
> new made in China from pot metal X-Mart bike. I have a 15 year old Huffy
> that is nearing 10,000 miles and has only needed maintenance items, such
> as a bottom bracket, newer and much better chainrings (changeable
> cranks, unlike the newest China junk), and tires.

Yes, but the Free Spirit bike under discussion probably isn't old
enough to be good.

At one time the top models of the Sear's Free Spirit brand were
actually very good bikes. A friend of mine had their top road bike
which came with all Campagnolo Record components and a good lugged
frame of high quality chrome-moly double-butted tubing. Certainly far
superior to the Schwinn Varsity that I had at that time.

On 18 Oct 2006 06:49:48 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>Basically I'm a newbie just looking for a decent bike. Something that's
>not Huffy quality. I'm not a serious rider so I'm not looking to spring
>for the latest Cannondale or anything.
>
>Someone is selling a 10 Speed FREE SPIRIT ROCK CREEK - All Terrain -
>Mountain Series
>
>They claim it's in excellent condition, has Shimano Gears, 26 inch
>tires.
>
>They want $55.
>
>Is it worth it or is it just money down a hole?

It's worth about $15 to $20 if it's in good shape, IMO. Free Spirit
was the house brand for Sears for many years. Most of them were
Huffy-level quality. On Craigslist, however, it will very likely find
a buyer at the cited price.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

peter wrote:
> bill wrote:

> > Don't tell him that. A used damn near anything is better than a brand
> > new made in China from pot metal X-Mart bike. I have a 15 year old Huffy
> > that is nearing 10,000 miles and has only needed maintenance items, such
> > as a bottom bracket, newer and much better chainrings (changeable
> > cranks, unlike the newest China junk), and tires.

> Yes, but the Free Spirit bike under discussion probably isn't old
> enough to be good.
>
> At one time the top models of the Sear's Free Spirit brand were
> actually very good bikes. A friend of mine had their top road bike
> which came with all Campagnolo Record components and a good lugged
> frame of high quality chrome-moly double-butted tubing. Certainly far
> superior to the Schwinn Varsity that I had at that time.

IIRC, at one time, some of the Free Spirits were made by Puch (who sold
bikes under the Puch and Austro Daimler brands in the US).

[email protected] wrote:
> peter wrote:
>>> Don't tell him that. A used damn near anything is better than a brand
>>> new made in China from pot metal X-Mart bike. I have a 15 year old Huffy
>>> that is nearing 10,000 miles and has only needed maintenance items, such
>>> as a bottom bracket, newer and much better chainrings (changeable
>>> cranks, unlike the newest China junk), and tires.

>> Yes, but the Free Spirit bike under discussion probably isn't old
>> enough to be good.
>>
>> At one time the top models of the Sear's Free Spirit brand were
>> actually very good bikes. A friend of mine had their top road bike
>> which came with all Campagnolo Record components and a good lugged
>> frame of high quality chrome-moly double-butted tubing. Certainly far
>> superior to the Schwinn Varsity that I had at that time.

> IIRC, at one time, some of the Free Spirits were made by Puch (who sold
> bikes under the Puch and Austro Daimler brands in the US).

Maybe semi-decent. I had a 50cc motorcycle made by Puch back in the '60s
and it did run but the Honda 50's were better. Sears sold those too.
Bill Baka

peter wrote:
> bill wrote:

>> Don't tell him that. A used damn near anything is better than a brand
>> new made in China from pot metal X-Mart bike. I have a 15 year old Huffy
>> that is nearing 10,000 miles and has only needed maintenance items, such
>> as a bottom bracket, newer and much better chainrings (changeable
>> cranks, unlike the newest China junk), and tires.

> Yes, but the Free Spirit bike under discussion probably isn't old
> enough to be good.
>
> At one time the top models of the Sear's Free Spirit brand were
> actually very good bikes. A friend of mine had their top road bike
> which came with all Campagnolo Record components and a good lugged
> frame of high quality chrome-moly double-butted tubing. Certainly far
> superior to the Schwinn Varsity that I had at that time.

Weren't those made in Europe way back in the 70's or so?
Bill Baka

bill wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > peter wrote:
> >> Yes, but the Free Spirit bike under discussion probably isn't old
> >> enough to be good.
> >>
> >> At one time the top models of the Sear's Free Spirit brand were
> >> actually very good bikes. A friend of mine had their top road bike
> >> which came with all Campagnolo Record components and a good lugged
> >> frame of high quality chrome-moly double-butted tubing. Certainly far
> >> superior to the Schwinn Varsity that I had at that time.

> > IIRC, at one time, some of the Free Spirits were made by Puch (who sold
> > bikes under the Puch and Austro Daimler brands in the US).
> >

> Maybe semi-decent.

The Puch/Austro-Daimler bikes sold in the US ran from decent to quite
good. If Sears sold a Puch made Free Spirit bike equipped with Campy
Record, I would think it would be, at the very least, a pretty good
bike.

> I had a 50cc motorcycle made by Puch back in the '60s
> and it did run but the Honda 50's were better. Sears sold those too.

IIRC, Sears sold Puch made motorcycles under the Allstate brand name.

Remember the old advertising line "Sears has Everything!"?

[email protected] wrote:
> bill wrote:
>> I had a 50cc motorcycle made by Puch back in the '60s
>> and it did run but the Honda 50's were better. Sears sold those too.

> IIRC, Sears sold Puch made motorcycles under the Allstate brand name.
>
> Remember the old advertising line "Sears has Everything!"?

Yup.
I also had a friend who had a Sears Puch moped around 1962. It was
totally impossible to pedal but once the engine was running it would do
about 35 MPH. I think the pedals were just decorative since sweating to
make 4 MPH doesn't fit my idea of dual use.
Back then Sears did have everything.
I vaguely/hazily remember them trying to market a tiny utility car back
in the 50's, but I don't know if it was them or a Popular Mechanics kit car.
Bill Baka

bill wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>> bill wrote:
>>
>>> I had a 50cc motorcycle made by Puch back in the '60s
>>> and it did run but the Honda 50's were better. Sears sold those too.

>> IIRC, Sears sold Puch made motorcycles under the Allstate brand name.
>>
>> Remember the old advertising line "Sears has Everything!"?
>>

> Yup.
> I also had a friend who had a Sears Puch moped around 1962. It was
> totally impossible to pedal but once the engine was running it would do
> about 35 MPH. I think the pedals were just decorative since sweating to
> make 4 MPH doesn't fit my idea of dual use.
> Back then Sears did have everything.
> I vaguely/hazily remember them trying to market a tiny utility car back
> in the 50's, but I don't know if it was them or a Popular Mechanics kit
> car.
> Bill Baka

Sears did sell everything. It's kind of sad the (mostly) junk they sell
now. The only real exception is some of their handtools. And some of
their major appliances.

Ken
--

Ken C. M. wrote:
> bill wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote:

>>> IIRC, Sears sold Puch made motorcycles under the Allstate brand name.
>>>
>>> Remember the old advertising line "Sears has Everything!"?
>>>

>> Yup.
>> I also had a friend who had a Sears Puch moped around 1962. It was
>> totally impossible to pedal but once the engine was running it would
>> do about 35 MPH. I think the pedals were just decorative since
>> sweating to make 4 MPH doesn't fit my idea of dual use.
>> Back then Sears did have everything.
>> I vaguely/hazily remember them trying to market a tiny utility car
>> back in the 50's, but I don't know if it was them or a Popular
>> Mechanics kit car.
>> Bill Baka

> Sears did sell everything. It's kind of sad the (mostly) junk they sell
> now. The only real exception is some of their handtools. And some of
> their major appliances.
>
> Ken

Yeah, SOME of their hand tools, but they are going over to China it
seems just like everybody else.
It is sad.
Bill Baka

bill wrote:
> Ken C. M. wrote:
> > bill wrote:

> >> Yup.
> >> I also had a friend who had a Sears Puch moped around 1962. It was
> >> totally impossible to pedal but once the engine was running it would
> >> do about 35 MPH. I think the pedals were just decorative since
> >> sweating to make 4 MPH doesn't fit my idea of dual use.
> >> Back then Sears did have everything.
> >> I vaguely/hazily remember them trying to market a tiny utility car
> >> back in the 50's, but I don't know if it was them or a Popular
> >> Mechanics kit car.
> >> Bill Baka

> > Sears did sell everything. It's kind of sad the (mostly) junk they sell
> > now. The only real exception is some of their handtools. And some of
> > their major appliances.
> >
> > Ken

> Yeah, SOME of their hand tools, but they are going over to China it
> seems just like everybody else.

Is there some reason why a Chinese made hand tool will be inferior?

> It is sad.

For the American manufacturing labor force, yes, but not necessarily
for the consumer

[email protected] wrote:
> bill wrote:
>
>>Ken C. M. wrote:

>>>Sears did sell everything. It's kind of sad the (mostly) junk they sell
>>>now. The only real exception is some of their handtools. And some of
>>>their major appliances.
>>>
>>>Ken

>>Yeah, SOME of their hand tools, but they are going over to China it
>>seems just like everybody else.

> Is there some reason why a Chinese made hand tool will be inferior?

Yes, the quality of the steel tends to be inferior to that made in the U.S.

Ken

--

Ken C. M. wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > bill wrote:

> >>Yeah, SOME of their hand tools, but they are going over to China it
> >>seems just like everybody else.

> > Is there some reason why a Chinese made hand tool will be inferior?
> >

> Yes, the quality of the steel tends to be inferior to that made in the U.S.

I wonder how much of a factor that will be in this case; Craftsman
tools are mostly used by DIYers, not by pros (who favor brands such as
Snap-On).

And I wonder if there is an inherent reason why Chinese steel "tends to
be inferior" to Us steel. Is it the ore, the manufacturing process,
both?

[email protected] wrote:

> Is there some reason why a Chinese made hand tool will be inferior?

Ask Sears - they don't warrentee their 'imported' tools as well as
their 'domestic' ones.

At least with some Chinese steels, its the manufacturing process. We've
stopped using Chinese steel in our products due to repeatedly finding
microcracks in the steel, they might not be in all Chinese steel but we
can't take the chance anymore.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Ken C. M. wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote:

>> > Is there some reason why a Chinese made hand tool will be inferior?
>> >

>> Yes, the quality of the steel tends to be inferior to that made in the
>> U.S.
>>

> I wonder how much of a factor that will be in this case; Craftsman
> tools are mostly used by DIYers, not by pros (who favor brands such as
> Snap-On).
>
> And I wonder if there is an inherent reason why Chinese steel "tends to
> be inferior" to Us steel. Is it the ore, the manufacturing process,
> both?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allstate_(automobile)

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> bill <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>> IIRC, Sears sold Puch made motorcycles under the Allstate brand name.
>>>
>>> Remember the old advertising line "Sears has Everything!"?
>>>

>> Yup.
>> I also had a friend who had a Sears Puch moped around 1962. It was
>> totally impossible to pedal but once the engine was running it would do
>> about 35 MPH. I think the pedals were just decorative since sweating to
>> make 4 MPH doesn't fit my idea of dual use.
>> Back then Sears did have everything.
>> I vaguely/hazily remember them trying to market a tiny utility car back
>> in the 50's, but I don't know if it was them or a Popular Mechanics kit car.
>> Bill Baka

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allstate_(automobile)

Hmmmm,
1952 and 1953 Henry J Kaiser cars. I guess my memory goes back farther
than I want to admit. They were too pricey at $1,500-$1,800 at that
time. I bought a new Rambler American in 1968 for $1,800 plus change and
that was actually a little 232 6 cylinder hot rod. I do know that a lot
of car companies went under in the early 50's.
Oh well, back to Bikes.
Bill Baka