Free training advice wanted

Bike4Him

Oct 17, 2009
I have read "the thread" and the books but I'd like some real time help.

My FTP is 195, although I think I need to test again based on the ease at which I do some intervals.

I typically try to do 2 x 20's or 30's at 95% a couple times a week and maybe a longer ride on weekends.
Many times I blow right through the first interval and end up doing 1.5 to 2 hours at an average of 85% to 90% FTP and an NP nearing FTP.
My only real goal is fitness and doing the assault on Mitchell in May and maybe another hilly century in the fall.

Should I be more disciplined and stick to the 20 and 30 minute intervals or is my default fun ride of 1.5 to 2 hours of high end tempo good enough?

Thanks.

Yeah, sounds like your FTP may be too low. Try doing a couple of 20min intervals starting at 110% of your FTP, if after 10min you feel like you could increase do so slowly until the end of your 20min and see where you are compaired to your FTP. I would say that if you can really go beyond 110% without much trouble (keeping in perspective that it is an LT interval and it is suppose to hurt), then your FTP needs adjusted. With regards to particular workouts, yeah 95% FTP is a decent interval, but try doing some 20min intervals like I described above, they are my personal favorite all around interval that will help with a broad range. The 1.5 to 2hrs of 90% is good, I would certainly stick with that, it will go a long way to helping your aerobic capacity which will certainly help in your endevors, but make sure you are doing it at 85-90% your actual FTP once you have adjusted it if needed.

Originally Posted by Bike4Him .

Should I be more disciplined and stick to the 20 and 30 minute intervals or is my default fun ride of 1.5 to 2 hours of high end tempo good enough?

Thanks.
Mix both into the schedule. They both do different things and both are important.

Originally Posted by bgoetz .

Yeah, sounds like your FTP may be too low.
It was. Last night I went out to do 2 x 20's and after 3 minutes into the first interval I felt pretty good so I hammered the last 17 minutes and ended with an average of 230. I will base my training on an FTP of 218.

That's what happens. Some days will be good (others not so much). What was the second 20?

So if you consistently hit 20 min intervals at AVP of around 205, you're going to see some good gains. FWIW, my ideal schedule (time and weather permitting) -- 2 rides of about 1.25-1.5 hours, same protocol: WU, 5min @ 95-105 FTP (open up the legs); 2x15-20 @ 90-95 percent depending on lights and traffic. These can be done back to back days, or Tues/Thurs, depending. IF in mid high eighties to 90.

Weekend:

1 long ride (unstructured) of no less than 2.5 hours and generally no more than 4. As hard or easy as I want, with group if I can; otherwise solo but the focus is endurance/tempo. I weigh enough that most hills pop me up or over threshold pretty easily and the route is rolling. Generally, IF for this ride in mid 80s.

Second weekend ride: 1 shorter ride (under 2 hours; ideally 90 min) at tempo or thereabouts, but the idea is to keep the effort lower than the other three days. Mostly flat route.

Originally Posted by hrumpole .

That's what happens. Some days will be good (others not so much). What was the second 20?

So if you consistently hit 20 min intervals at AVP of around 205, you're going to see some good gains. FWIW, my ideal schedule (time and weather permitting) -- 2 rides of about 1.25-1.5 hours, same protocol: WU, 5min @ 95-105 FTP (open up the legs); 2x15-20 @ 90-95 percent depending on lights and traffic. These can be done back to back days, or Tues/Thurs, depending. IF in mid high eighties to 90.

Weekend:

1 long ride (unstructured) of no less than 2.5 hours and generally no more than 4. As hard or easy as I want, with group if I can; otherwise solo but the focus is endurance/tempo. I weigh enough that most hills pop me up or over threshold pretty easily and the route is rolling. Generally, IF for this ride in mid 80s.

Second weekend ride: 1 shorter ride (under 2 hours; ideally 90 min) at tempo or thereabouts, but the idea is to keep the effort lower than the other three days. Mostly flat route.
The second 20? Are you kidding. I was about to puke so I rode home and climbed every hill standing just for fun.
I will try to hit 205 for 20 - 30 min. intervals from now until the next test.
My workday is like 6 hours of anaerobic weight training so hitting 205 after work will be tough.