free wheel hub schreeech on mavic wheel

I had a new free-wheel hub fitted to Record 10 on Mavic Kisserium wheel
at LBS. Within a few days the hub started screeching at 30mph+ when
freewheeling and bunching up the chain.

I took it back and the guy re-fitted it again. This time he used a bit
of oil instead of grease but it started happening again after a day or
two.

Now he wants to send the whole wheel to France (I live in England)
because as far as he is concerned he followed a usual procedure. I have
not ever damaged the wheel in the couple of years I have had it and I
don't understand how the fault could be with the wheel......(I may be
wrong here). I am not looking forward to being without the wheel for a
few weeks.

Does anyway know what the problem might be?

Other advice welcome.

Regards Sean.

[email protected] wrote:
> I had a new free-wheel hub fitted to Record 10 on Mavic Kisserium wheel
> at LBS. Within a few days the hub started screeching at 30mph+ when
> freewheeling and bunching up the chain.
>
> I took it back and the guy re-fitted it again. This time he used a bit
> of oil instead of grease but it started happening again after a day or
> two.
>
> Now he wants to send the whole wheel to France (I live in England)
> because as far as he is concerned he followed a usual procedure. I have
> not ever damaged the wheel in the couple of years I have had it and I
> don't understand how the fault could be with the wheel......(I may be
> wrong here). I am not looking forward to being without the wheel for a
> few weeks.
>
> Does anyway know what the problem might be?
>
> Other advice welcome.
>
> Regards Sean.

Innards of the plastic freehub bushing needs constant attention and
lots of Oil....I use a synthetic motor oil, Mobil One...doesn't get
thick in the cold, stays pretty tenacious..but these freehubs need lots
of disassemble/clean and oil. Get a 10mm and 5mm allen wrench and do it
yourself..easy to do. Pop the left axle end off, insert 10mm...hold,
insert 5mm in the other axle end, loosen. Take axle end out, take
freehub off...be sure the teeny pawls fall somewhere where you can find
them...wipe off, oilall innards, replace. We also add a .5mm axle
spacer under the freehub body along with the 1mm that is there normally
to raise the freehub body a bit off the rubber seal to make it run more
smoothly.

Mavic said the problem was 'soft pawls', creating metallic
dust(crappola) and 2007 wheels will have harder, red pawls..but the
problem will remian as long as the crappy plastic bushing remains.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>> I had a new free-wheel hub fitted to Record 10 on Mavic Kisserium wheel
>> at LBS. Within a few days the hub started screeching at 30mph+ when
>> freewheeling and bunching up the chain.
>>
>> I took it back and the guy re-fitted it again. This time he used a bit
>> of oil instead of grease but it started happening again after a day or
>> two.
>>
>> Now he wants to send the whole wheel to France (I live in England)
>> because as far as he is concerned he followed a usual procedure. I have
>> not ever damaged the wheel in the couple of years I have had it and I
>> don't understand how the fault could be with the wheel......(I may be
>> wrong here). I am not looking forward to being without the wheel for a
>> few weeks.
>>
>> Does anyway know what the problem might be?
>>
>> Other advice welcome.
>>
>> Regards Sean.

> Innards of the plastic freehub bushing needs constant attention and
> lots of Oil....I use a synthetic motor oil, Mobil One...doesn't get
> thick in the cold, stays pretty tenacious..but these freehubs need lots
> of disassemble/clean and oil. Get a 10mm and 5mm allen wrench and do it
> yourself..easy to do. Pop the left axle end off, insert 10mm...hold,
> insert 5mm in the other axle end, loosen. Take axle end out, take
> freehub off...be sure the teeny pawls fall somewhere where you can find
> them...wipe off, oilall innards, replace. We also add a .5mm axle
> spacer under the freehub body along with the 1mm that is there normally
> to raise the freehub body a bit off the rubber seal to make it run more
> smoothly.
>
> Mavic said the problem was 'soft pawls', creating metallic
> dust(crappola) and 2007 wheels will have harder, red pawls..but the
> problem will remian as long as the crappy plastic bushing remains.

the "crappy plastic bushing" is perfectly adequate for the job. it
doesn't rotate under load, only when it's freewheeling. it seals just
fine. i've had mine through two winters now and have had no problems
with it compared to in the past, i've had significant problems in the
same conditions with campy and shimano.

to the op, if sounds like it's been reassembled wrong - maybe a pawl
spring misplaced. as peter says, strip, inspect, replace any damaged
parts, oil, reassemble.

Thanks guys, a real help. I will go back to the LBS better
informed..............

Sean.

jim beam wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> > [email protected] wrote:
> >> I had a new free-wheel hub fitted to Record 10 on Mavic Kisserium wheel
> >> at LBS. Within a few days the hub started screeching at 30mph+ when
> >> freewheeling and bunching up the chain.
> >>
> >> I took it back and the guy re-fitted it again. This time he used a bit
> >> of oil instead of grease but it started happening again after a day or
> >> two.
> >>
> >> Now he wants to send the whole wheel to France (I live in England)
> >> because as far as he is concerned he followed a usual procedure. I have
> >> not ever damaged the wheel in the couple of years I have had it and I
> >> don't understand how the fault could be with the wheel......(I may be
> >> wrong here). I am not looking forward to being without the wheel for a
> >> few weeks.
> >>
> >> Does anyway know what the problem might be?
> >>
> >> Other advice welcome.
> >>
> >> Regards Sean.

> > Innards of the plastic freehub bushing needs constant attention and
> > lots of Oil....I use a synthetic motor oil, Mobil One...doesn't get
> > thick in the cold, stays pretty tenacious..but these freehubs need lots
> > of disassemble/clean and oil. Get a 10mm and 5mm allen wrench and do it
> > yourself..easy to do. Pop the left axle end off, insert 10mm...hold,
> > insert 5mm in the other axle end, loosen. Take axle end out, take
> > freehub off...be sure the teeny pawls fall somewhere where you can find
> > them...wipe off, oilall innards, replace. We also add a .5mm axle
> > spacer under the freehub body along with the 1mm that is there normally
> > to raise the freehub body a bit off the rubber seal to make it run more
> > smoothly.
> >
> > Mavic said the problem was 'soft pawls', creating metallic
> > dust(crappola) and 2007 wheels will have harder, red pawls..but the
> > problem will remian as long as the crappy plastic bushing remains.
> >

> the "crappy plastic bushing" is perfectly adequate for the job. it
> doesn't rotate under load, only when it's freewheeling. it seals just
> fine. i've had mine through two winters now and have had no problems
> with it compared to in the past, i've had significant problems in the
> same conditions with campy and shimano.

Draggy on the axle 'stub', becomes out of round, draggy on the rubber
seal under it...would be a much better freehub with a bearing there,
like they used to have, instead of the cheap, crappy plastic bushing. I
overhaul draggy, noisey Krysiriums all week. I have done perhaps 3-4
dozen of them...your one rear wheel does not represent a adequate
sample, IMO.

> to the op, if sounds like it's been reassembled wrong - maybe a pawl
> spring misplaced. as peter says, strip, inspect, replace any damaged
> parts, oil, reassemble.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

>>> Innards of the plastic freehub bushing needs constant attention and
>>> lots of Oil....I use a synthetic motor oil, Mobil One...doesn't get
>>> thick in the cold, stays pretty tenacious..but these freehubs need lots
>>> of disassemble/clean and oil. Get a 10mm and 5mm allen wrench and do it
>>> yourself..easy to do. Pop the left axle end off, insert 10mm...hold,
>>> insert 5mm in the other axle end, loosen. Take axle end out, take
>>> freehub off...be sure the teeny pawls fall somewhere where you can find
>>> them...wipe off, oilall innards, replace. We also add a .5mm axle
>>> spacer under the freehub body along with the 1mm that is there normally
>>> to raise the freehub body a bit off the rubber seal to make it run more
>>> smoothly.
>>>
>>> Mavic said the problem was 'soft pawls', creating metallic
>>> dust(crappola) and 2007 wheels will have harder, red pawls..but the
>>> problem will remian as long as the crappy plastic bushing remains.
>>>

>> the "crappy plastic bushing" is perfectly adequate for the job. it
>> doesn't rotate under load, only when it's freewheeling. it seals just
>> fine. i've had mine through two winters now and have had no problems
>> with it compared to in the past, i've had significant problems in the
>> same conditions with campy and shimano.

> Draggy on the axle 'stub', becomes out of round, draggy on the rubber
> seal under it...would be a much better freehub with a bearing there,
> like they used to have, instead of the cheap, crappy plastic bushing. I
> overhaul draggy, noisey Krysiriums all week. I have done perhaps 3-4
> dozen of them...your one rear wheel does not represent a adequate
> sample, IMO.

you're right about sample size for sure [i have two, not one], but with
respect, the subjective judgment of "draggy" doesn't mean much, nor does
noise unless it's abnormal. what feels "draggy" to the hand at low
rotation speed is not necessarily that experienced at operating speed.
people bleat about "draggy" mavic bearings all the time for hand
rotation, but it's not a factor at operating speed. similarly, that
"crappy plastic bushing" is more than adequate for the job if you look
at what it has to do.

jim beam wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> > jim beam wrote:

> >> the "crappy plastic bushing" is perfectly adequate for the job. it
> >> doesn't rotate under load, only when it's freewheeling. it seals just
> >> fine. i've had mine through two winters now and have had no problems
> >> with it compared to in the past, i've had significant problems in the
> >> same conditions with campy and shimano.

> > Draggy on the axle 'stub', becomes out of round, draggy on the rubber
> > seal under it...would be a much better freehub with a bearing there,
> > like they used to have, instead of the cheap, crappy plastic bushing. I
> > overhaul draggy, noisey Krysiriums all week. I have done perhaps 3-4
> > dozen of them...your one rear wheel does not represent a adequate
> > sample, IMO.

> you're right about sample size for sure [i have two, not one], but with
> respect, the subjective judgment of "draggy" doesn't mean much, nor does
> noise unless it's abnormal. what feels "draggy" to the hand at low
> rotation speed is not necessarily that experienced at operating speed.
> people bleat about "draggy" mavic bearings all the time for hand
> rotation, but it's not a factor at operating speed. similarly, that
> "crappy plastic bushing" is more than adequate for the job if you look
> at what it has to do.

Problem is when they get really draggy, when not pedaling, it doesn't
freewheel either and the RD gets pulled forard, killing it..extreme
case but regular frequent maintenance and oil, alomg with the axle
washer add(recommended to me by the Mavic guy), reduces the
problem...or just get rid of the crappy plastic bushing...