Freedom Fries (just venting)

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Gary Smiley, Apr 2, 2003.

  1. Gary Smiley

    Gary Smiley Guest

    I think we should call them French Fries, as they have always been called here in the US. Then, lots
    of so-called patriotic people won't buy them. That would be a good thing, considering that each fry
    contains a gram of fat, which can pile up on your waistline pretty fast. People would lose weight
    and stay healthier. The name "freedom fries" is just an excuse for these fat ignorant slobs to
    perpetuate their obesity in the name of patriotism. In any case, a boycott of French fries wouldn't
    hurt France at all, since all the fries are produced here. By the way- last june I rode a bike
    around 500 miles from Marseille, across Provence and the Riviera, and into Italy and Tuscany. It
    took me two weeks, and in the entire time, being outdoors and going from city to city and looking
    around at everything, I saw two fat people. Two. So smarten up America. Call them what they are -
    French fries, and don't eat them! Ride a bike instead. You'll be better off.

    Tags:

  2. 135u

    135u Guest

    Honestly, I can't remember the last time I saw them called French Fries. It's usually just "fries."

    Name changing is just the latest example of mass hysteria sweeping the US. Right now, none of us
    amateur photographers are supposed to be taking pictures of bridges. Yes, according to many signs
    that are popping up, bridge photography is illegal. What purpose does that serve? Does that mean
    terrorists won't attempt to blow up bridges if than can't take a few snapshots of them?

    Yes, we are living in the age of mass stupidity here in the US, and, until Ashcroft is gone, things
    won't change.

    "Gary Smiley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I think we should call them French Fries, as they have always been called here in the US. Then,
    > lots of so-called patriotic people won't buy them. That would be a good thing, considering that
    > each fry contains a gram of fat, which can pile up on your waistline pretty fast. People would
    > lose weight and stay healthier. The name "freedom fries" is just an excuse for these fat ignorant
    > slobs to perpetuate their obesity in the name of patriotism. In any case, a boycott of French
    > fries wouldn't hurt France at all, since all the fries are produced here. By the way- last june I
    > rode a bike around 500 miles from Marseille, across Provence and the Riviera, and into Italy and
    > Tuscany. It took me two weeks, and in the entire time, being outdoors and going from city to city
    > and looking around at everything, I saw two fat people. Two. So smarten up America. Call them what
    > they are - French fries, and don't eat them! Ride a bike instead. You'll be better off.

  3. Edward Dike

    Edward Dike Guest

    135U" <[email protected]> wrote in message:

    "...bridge photography is illegal...."

    Please site some statute/ ordinance.

    Or, is your remark "...just the latest example of mass hysteria sweeping the US..."?

    30 years ago I was questioned for photographing civilian and military aircraft at a local base, long
    before the current administartion. Security concerns are not new, and change with the times.

    ED3

  4. In article <[email protected]>, "135U" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Honestly, I can't remember the last time I saw them called French Fries. It's usually just
    > "fries."
    >
    > Name changing is just the latest example of mass hysteria sweeping the US. Right now, none of us
    > amateur photographers are supposed to be taking pictures of bridges. Yes, according to many signs
    > that are popping up, bridge photography is illegal. What purpose does that serve? Does that mean
    > terrorists won't attempt to blow up bridges if than can't take a few snapshots of them?
    >
    > Yes, we are living in the age of mass stupidity here in the US, and, until Ashcroft is gone,
    > things won't change.

    I also remember reading a story about how germans are boycotting american stuff like beer. Hello...
    like they need to drink american beer in germany? It would be like the french refusing to eat
    Nestle's chocolate bars!I think it's symbolic more than anything.

  5. Edward Dike

    Edward Dike Guest

    "Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | In article <[email protected]>, "135U" <[email protected]> wrote:
    |
    | > Honestly, I can't remember the last time I saw them called French Fries. It's usually just
    | > "fries."
    | >
    | > Name changing is just the latest example of mass hysteria sweeping the
    US.
    | > Right now, none of us amateur photographers are supposed to be taking pictures of bridges. Yes,
    | > according to many signs that are popping up, bridge photography is illegal. What purpose does
    | > that serve? Does that
    mean
    | > terrorists won't attempt to blow up bridges if than can't take a few snapshots of them?
    | >
    | > Yes, we are living in the age of mass stupidity here in the US, and,
    until
    | > Ashcroft is gone, things won't change.
    | >
    | I also remember reading a story about how germans are boycotting american stuff like beer.
    | Hello... like they need to drink american beer in germany? It would be like the french refusing
    | to eat Nestle's chocolate bars!I think it's symbolic more than anything.

    What is the symbolism of the French boycotting the Swiss? ED3

  6. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "Edward Dike, III" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > 135U" <[email protected]> wrote in message:
    >
    > "...bridge photography is illegal...."
    >
    > Please site some statute/ ordinance.

    He did. He said there are signs prohibiting photography of bridges. Did you read the post? I'll have
    to take him at his word. These prohibitions don't surprise me, that's for sure. It's going to get a
    lot more stupid before this is over.

    -Barry

  7. Edward Dike

    Edward Dike Guest

    "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:7%[email protected]...
    | "Edward Dike, III" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | news:[email protected]...
    | > 135U" <[email protected]> wrote in message:
    | >
    | > "...bridge photography is illegal...."
    | >
    | > Please site some statute/ ordinance.
    |
    | He did. He said there are signs prohibiting photography of bridges. Did you read the post? I'll
    | have to take him at his word. These prohibitions don't surprise me, that's for sure. It's going to
    | get a lot more stupid before this is over.
    |
    | -Barry

    Without a picture of the sign, on the bridge, I see it as an April fool's post, but a day late ED3

  8. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Edward Dike, III writes:

    >> He said there are signs prohibiting photography of bridges. Did you read the post? I'll have to
    >> take him at his word. These prohibitions don't surprise me, that's for sure. It's going to get a
    >> lot more stupid before this is over.

    > Without a picture of the sign, on the bridge, I see it as an April fool's post, but a day late

    If you read a daily newspaper you'll have also read that rail enthusiasts, who regularly photograph
    passing trains at various location have been stopped from doing so by local and railroad police,
    sometimes leading to interrogations.

    To make up for that, the orange alerts and positioning of machine gun armed soldiers in combat gear
    at the Golden Gate Bridge and SF-Oakland Bay Bridge have ceased, now that this sham to scare the
    populace into a war frenzy is over.

    I am amazed that most people never question such stupid ploys. Maybe it's the "Big Lie" syndrome. If
    the lie is big enough, no one will suspect that someone would tell such a whopper, so it must be
    true... especially if it's from the U.S. president.

  9. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Edward Dike, III writes:

    >> He said there are signs prohibiting photography of bridges. Did you read the post? I'll have to
    >> take him at his word. These prohibitions don't surprise me, that's for sure. It's going to get a
    >> lot more stupid before this is over.

    > Without a picture of the sign, on the bridge, I see it as an April fool's post, but a day late

    If you read a daily newspaper you'll have also read that rail enthusiasts, who regularly photograph
    passing trains at various location have been stopped from doing so by local and railroad police,
    sometimes leading to interrogations.

    To make up for that, the orange alerts and positioning of machine gun armed soldiers in combat gear
    at the Golden Gate Bridge and SF-Oakland Bay Bridge have ceased, now that this sham to scare the
    populace into a war frenzy is over.

    Do you recall "duct tape and plastic sheeting" and the buying frenzy that followed?

    I am amazed that most people never question such stupid ploys. Maybe it's the "Big Lie" syndrome. If
    the lie is big enough, no one will suspect that someone would tell such a whopper, so it must be
    true... especially if it's from the U.S. president.

    Jobst Brandt jobst.brand[email protected] Palo Alto CA

  10. Goimir

    Goimir Guest

    I've told a few of my friends, I'll start calling them "Freedom Fries" if I can call French toast
    "German Toast".

    Until then they're chips. Just to aggrivate everyone.

    --
    L9 Random Text Ribbon _ w To Protest zf Government Monitoring of 2 9 Electronic Communications

  11. W K

    W K Guest

    "Gary Smiley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I think we should call them French Fries, as they have always been called here in the US.

    No. Freedom fries. Just to remind yourself that you have the freedom to agree with the majority.

  12. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >No. Freedom fries. Just to remind yourself that you have the freedom to agree with the majority.

    And we know this is the majority opinion??? Does it matter.

    Some of us will be eating French Fries here in a while. The rest of us will stay away from them as
    they are just plain bad food.

    I imagine that the French are relieved that they have been renamed.

    jon isaacs

  13. Josho

    Josho Guest

    Just one of the ridiculous things about changing "French Fries" to "Freedom Fries" is that the
    "french" in french fries does not derive from France.

    "French" in this usage refers to the name for a method of slicing food.

    If we're really that committed to hating all things French, then please, let us disassemble the
    Statue of Liberty and send it back to France, piece by piece.

    If not, let's ask our elected representatives to find something a little better to do with their
    time than petitioning the commissary to rename foods to fit the daily-shifting menu of who we're
    supposed to hate. Do they REALLY have nothing better to do?

    --Josh

    On 02 Apr 2003 23:03:28 GMT, [email protected] (Jon Isaacs) wrote:

    >>No. Freedom fries. Just to remind yourself that you have the freedom to agree with the majority.
    >>

    >And we know this is the majority opinion??? Does it matter.
    >
    >Some of us will be eating French Fries here in a while. The rest of us will stay away from them as
    >they are just plain bad food.
    >
    >I imagine that the French are relieved that they have been renamed.
    >
    >jon isaacs

  14. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    Edward Dike, III wrote:

    >> It would be like the french refusing to eat Nestle's chocolate bars!I think it's symbolic more
    >> than anything.
    >
    > What is the symbolism of the French boycotting the Swiss?

    Replace "Nestle" with "Hershey".
    --
    terry morse

  15. One solution to the dilemma of idiots and buttkissers filling the airwaves is to DON'T
    WATCH THE NEWS.

    Skim the newspaper if you must or go to websites for business, local news, health news, or sports.
    But avoid/ignore the hype that the news channels are feverishly trying to hook you with. It's junk
    and you don't need it.

    Let the TV addicts lap up the repeitive junk. Let the addicts buy their duct tape and plastic bags.
    Let the addicts practice their gas mask wearing routines. Let the addicts get their small pox vacs.
    Let the addicts put their right hand over their hearts and order "freedom fries."

    If the addicts try to goad you into a vapid "news hype" discussion, say "I don't know ... how
    about (enter sports team)" or say "how was (enter movie name)." You will live smarter and
    happier this way.

  16. W K

    W K Guest

    "Terry Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Edward Dike, III wrote:
    >
    > >> It would be like the french refusing to eat Nestle's chocolate bars!I think it's symbolic more
    > >> than anything.
    > >
    > > What is the symbolism of the French boycotting the Swiss?
    >
    > Replace "Nestle" with "Hershey".

    Why? I don't believe this product has ever been sold in Europe. If it is, theres not many and not
    widespread.

    Try MacDonalds - but thats boycotted because they like food.

  17. Raymo853

    Raymo853 Guest

    Can somebody explain to my why German Measles was changed to Freedom Measles during WW2? To me, it
    would seem more locical to have left the name German Measles since it is such a nasty virus.

    "Donald A.Muslim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > One solution to the dilemma of idiots and buttkissers filling the airwaves is to DON'T WATCH
    > THE NEWS.
    >
    > Skim the newspaper if you must or go to websites for business, local news, health news, or sports.
    > But avoid/ignore the hype that the news channels are feverishly trying to hook you with. It's junk
    > and you don't need it.
    >
    > Let the TV addicts lap up the repeitive junk. Let the addicts buy their duct tape and plastic
    > bags. Let the addicts practice their gas mask wearing routines. Let the addicts get their small
    > pox vacs. Let the addicts put their right hand over their hearts and order "freedom fries."
    >
    > If the addicts try to goad you into a vapid "news hype" discussion, say "I don't know ... how
    > about (enter sports team)" or say "how was (enter movie name)." You will live smarter and happier
    > this way.

  18. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "Raymo853" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Can somebody explain to my why German Measles was changed to Freedom Measles during WW2? To me, it
    >would seem more locical to have left the name German Measles since it is such a nasty virus.

    I suggest we depersonalize this virus and rename it something totally benign to any group of people
    on earth...

    How about "Simple Unnamed Virus", or SUV for short? ;-)

  19. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    Mark Hickey wrote:
    > "Raymo853" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Can somebody explain to my why German Measles was changed to Freedom Measles during WW2? To me, it
    >>would seem more locical to have left the name German Measles since it is such a nasty virus.
    >

    > I suggest we depersonalize this virus and rename it something totally benign to any group of
    > people on earth...
    >
    > How about "Simple Unnamed Virus", or SUV for short? ;-)

    I hope the Russians or Italians wouldn't be offended if we were to call it "Rubella".

    JimP