Freehub failure [take two]

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Pete Biggs, May 2, 2003.

  1. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Can extreme pedalling force damage cheap freehubs and cause the freewheel mechanism to stop working
    - or are other factors always responsible instead?

    Note. Only coasting or back-pedalling is affected. Forward drive is ok.

    ~PB

    Tags:

  2. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    Pete Biggs wrote:
    > Can extreme pedalling force damage cheap freehubs and cause the freewheel mechanism to stop
    > working - or are other factors always responsible instead?

    Are you serious? Ask a tandemer!

    James
    PS the answer is yes, easily, in fact there are very few hubs that are capable of reliably holding
    up to 2 riders with MTB gears.

  3. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Pete Biggs writes:

    > Can extreme pedaling force damage cheap freehubs and cause the freewheel mechanism to stop working
    > - or are other factors always responsible instead?

    > Note. Only coasting or back-pedaling is affected. Forward drive is OK.

    Freehubs generally have the ratchet pawls cramped into a smaller diameter than freewheels of the
    past and are more heavily loaded, especially with the lower gears available today (under gearing
    with chainwheel smaller than rear sprocket). When a ratchet step or a pawl is overloaded, metal
    sticks up where it shouldn't and causes that point to hang up when it passes a pawl or ratchet
    tooth, depending on who ate it.

    Yes, it is entirely possible to ruin a ratchet escapement. The presence of all sorts of noisy
    escapements is a sign that there is a problem down there.

  4. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Thanks James and Jobst.

    ....Backs up my brother's theory that fitting bar ends and "giving it some welly", as we say in
    Britain, is responsible.

    I hope a Shimano (Deore or LX) freehub will fair better.

    ~PB