Freehub problem??

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Shane Dryden, Oct 11, 2004.

  1. Shane Dryden

    Shane Dryden Guest

    When I was riding today, my ratchet started acting funny. When I stopped
    pedalling, the rear cassette would keep turning with my wheel (instead of
    stopping!). The result was that the top part of the chain got looser and
    eventually would get stuck back into the rear cassette.
    I also could not pedal backwards properly (the rear cassette wouldn't turn
    properly). So the cassette seems stuck to the wheel somehow, and if I
    pushed the bike, the chain would move and pedals move around by themselves.
    This didn't happen all the time, but on occasion, during the ride.
    Is this a problem with my freehub? And what might the fix be?
    I did just get my entire drivetrain replaced earlier this year by the way.
    Thanks to anyone who can give me pointers as to where to look for a
    solution!

    Tags:

  2. MD

    MD Guest

    Sounds like your freehub is sticking. You might need to replace it. If it
    is shimano it is easy to replace. Just go to the bikeshop and get it fixed
    or buy a freehub it is easy. If it is some other brand you might have to
    look harder.

    "Shane Dryden" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > When I was riding today, my ratchet started acting funny. When I stopped
    > pedalling, the rear cassette would keep turning with my wheel (instead of
    > stopping!). The result was that the top part of the chain got looser and
    > eventually would get stuck back into the rear cassette.
    > I also could not pedal backwards properly (the rear cassette wouldn't turn
    > properly). So the cassette seems stuck to the wheel somehow, and if I
    > pushed the bike, the chain would move and pedals move around by
    > themselves.
    > This didn't happen all the time, but on occasion, during the ride.
    > Is this a problem with my freehub? And what might the fix be?
    > I did just get my entire drivetrain replaced earlier this year by the way.
    > Thanks to anyone who can give me pointers as to where to look for a
    > solution!

  3. broken

    broken Guest

    "Shane Dryden" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > When I was riding today, my ratchet started acting funny. When I stopped
    > pedalling, the rear cassette would keep turning with my wheel (instead of
    > stopping!). The result was that the top part of the chain got looser and
    > eventually would get stuck back into the rear cassette.
    > I also could not pedal backwards properly (the rear cassette wouldn't turn
    > properly). So the cassette seems stuck to the wheel somehow, and if I
    > pushed the bike, the chain would move and pedals move around by
    > themselves.
    > This didn't happen all the time, but on occasion, during the ride.
    > Is this a problem with my freehub? And what might the fix be?
    > I did just get my entire drivetrain replaced earlier this year by the way.
    > Thanks to anyone who can give me pointers as to where to look for a
    > solution!

    Had the same problem, turned out to be a broken pawl in the freehub. I
    suggest getting a new freehub body very soon to avoid damaging the rest of
    the hub. I left mine for a month and it gouged out the internal serrations
    of the hub body which meant a whole new rear hub.

  4. Shane Dryden wrote:
    > When I was riding today, my ratchet started acting funny. When I stopped
    > pedalling, the rear cassette would keep turning with my wheel (instead of
    > stopping!). The result was that the top part of the chain got looser and
    > eventually would get stuck back into the rear cassette.
    > I also could not pedal backwards properly (the rear cassette wouldn't turn
    > properly). So the cassette seems stuck to the wheel somehow, and if I
    > pushed the bike, the chain would move and pedals move around by themselves.
    > This didn't happen all the time, but on occasion, during the ride.
    > Is this a problem with my freehub? And what might the fix be?
    > I did just get my entire drivetrain replaced earlier this year by the way.
    > Thanks to anyone who can give me pointers as to where to look for a
    > solution!

    The other posts are probably correct, but an XT freehup seemed too
    expensive when I had to replace mine, compared to the price of a new
    hub, perhaps even something better. I think it was around $60 when mine
    went 1.5 years ago. You can get a whole new XT wheel for $100 mail order.

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
    remove "mydebt" to reply

  5. Shane Dryden

    Shane Dryden Guest

    Yes it's a Deore hub by Shimano. Earlier this summer I had a new back wheel
    put on (rims), and the drive-train replaced - would this mean I would have a
    new freehub as well? If that's the case, then this problem is occurring
    before I've even put 200km on it.

    "MD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > Sounds like your freehub is sticking. You might need to replace it. If

    it
    > is shimano it is easy to replace. Just go to the bikeshop and get it

    fixed
    > or buy a freehub it is easy. If it is some other brand you might have to
    > look harder.
    >

    > "Shane Dryden" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > When I was riding today, my ratchet started acting funny. When I

    stopped
    > > pedalling, the rear cassette would keep turning with my wheel (instead

    of
    > > stopping!). The result was that the top part of the chain got looser

    and
    > > eventually would get stuck back into the rear cassette.
    > > I also could not pedal backwards properly (the rear cassette wouldn't

    turn
    > > properly). So the cassette seems stuck to the wheel somehow, and if I
    > > pushed the bike, the chain would move and pedals move around by
    > > themselves.
    > > This didn't happen all the time, but on occasion, during the ride.
    > > Is this a problem with my freehub? And what might the fix be?
    > > I did just get my entire drivetrain replaced earlier this year by the

    way.
    > > Thanks to anyone who can give me pointers as to where to look for a
    > > solution!

  6. > The other posts are probably correct, but an XT freehup seemed too
    > expensive when I had to replace mine, compared to the price of a new
    > hub, perhaps even something better. I think it was around $60 when
    > mine went 1.5 years ago. You can get a whole new XT wheel for $100
    > mail order.

    Any LBS will have a used 8/9 speed freehub they they'll probably sell for
    $25 or less, unless it's a high-end shop that doesn't save "piddling" items
    such as these.

    Original poster, if you're pressed for money, our shop has some used
    freehubs you can buy for around that price. Let me know if you're
    interested.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  7. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
    >>The other posts are probably correct, but an XT freehup seemed too
    >>expensive when I had to replace mine, compared to the price of a new
    >>hub, perhaps even something better. I think it was around $60 when
    >>mine went 1.5 years ago. You can get a whole new XT wheel for $100
    >>mail order.

    > Any LBS will have a used 8/9 speed freehub they they'll probably sell for
    > $25 or less, unless it's a high-end shop that doesn't save "piddling" items
    > such as these.
    >
    > Original poster, if you're pressed for money, our shop has some used
    > freehubs you can buy for around that price. Let me know if you're
    > interested.

    Check the dumpsters of your LBS. "My friend" finds tons of working
    projects in there.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  8. DaveWV

    DaveWV New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2003
    I just had a a freehub go bad on a wheel that I bought about a year ago. I took it back to bike shop that I bought it at and they could have cared less. Then I took it to the LBS I usually go to and he gave me a new one for free and sent the bad back to Shimano for warranty.

    BTW it was an LX hub and my favorite LBS sells them for $27.

  9. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    "Shane Dryden" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Yes it's a Deore hub by Shimano. Earlier this summer I had a new back

    wheel
    > put on (rims), and the drive-train replaced - would this mean I would have

    > new freehub as well? If that's the case, then this problem is occurring
    > before I've even put 200km on it.

    If your new wheel was a complete new wheel rather than just a rim swap (hard
    to tell from your post) , then yes, your freehub is 200km old. The Deore
    ones are not great to be honest, but all the same they should last longer
    than 200km. What I've done in the past is bought a new hub (which costs very
    little more than the freehub by itself sometimes) and swapped all the parts
    into the wheel. That way you get new cones and bearings too.

    If you had the hub renewed it would be worth going back to the shop and
    having a moan.

    Andy Chequer

  10. supabonbon

    supabonbon Guest

    "Shane Dryden" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > When I was riding today, my ratchet started acting funny. When I stopped
    > pedalling, the rear cassette would keep turning with my wheel (instead of
    > stopping!). The result was that the top part of the chain got looser and
    > eventually would get stuck back into the rear cassette.
    > I also could not pedal backwards properly (the rear cassette wouldn't turn
    > properly). So the cassette seems stuck to the wheel somehow, and if I
    > pushed the bike, the chain would move and pedals move around by themselves.
    > This didn't happen all the time, but on occasion, during the ride.
    > Is this a problem with my freehub? And what might the fix be?
    > I did just get my entire drivetrain replaced earlier this year by the way.
    > Thanks to anyone who can give me pointers as to where to look for a
    > solution!

    Sounds like a frozen pawl. You might want to look into a Morningstar Freehub Buddy.
    http://cambriabike.com/tools/morningstar_fh_buddy_tool.htm

    /s

  11. supabonbon

    supabonbon Guest

    Ride-A-Lot <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
    > >>The other posts are probably correct, but an XT freehup seemed too
    > >>expensive when I had to replace mine, compared to the price of a new
    > >>hub, perhaps even something better. I think it was around $60 when
    > >>mine went 1.5 years ago. You can get a whole new XT wheel for $100
    > >>mail order.

    > > Any LBS will have a used 8/9 speed freehub they they'll probably sell for
    > > $25 or less, unless it's a high-end shop that doesn't save "piddling" items
    > > such as these.
    > >
    > > Original poster, if you're pressed for money, our shop has some used
    > > freehubs you can buy for around that price. Let me know if you're
    > > interested.
    > >

    > Check the dumpsters of your LBS. "My friend" finds tons of working
    > projects in there.

    Quickie Mart dumpsters are good for porn once a month too!

    /s hero of my middle school

  12. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    On 13 Oct 2004 06:33:15 -0700, supabonbon <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:

    >> Check the dumpsters of your LBS. "My friend" finds tons of working
    >> projects in there.

    > Quickie Mart dumpsters are good for porn once a month too!
    >
    > /s hero of my middle school

    lol So how much $$ have you saved this way.

    BTW, I've heard of this thing called the Internets, where they have all
    the porn you could feast your eyeballs on... for free!
    --
    Slacker

  13. supabonbon

    supabonbon Guest

    Slacker <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 13 Oct 2004 06:33:15 -0700, supabonbon <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >> Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:

    > >> Check the dumpsters of your LBS. "My friend" finds tons of working
    > >> projects in there.

    > > Quickie Mart dumpsters are good for porn once a month too!
    > >
    > > /s hero of my middle school

    > lol So how much $$ have you saved this way.
    >
    > BTW, I've heard of this thing called the Internets, where they have all
    >

    > the porn you could feast your eyeballs on... for free!

    The year was 1982, my friend. Back when the internets was/were being
    invented by Al Gore.
    Besides, you lose the 12 yr old's thrilling fear of being caught with
    a nudie mag in school. Or 15 of them, with the covers torn off. For
    every convenience we lose something. The art of diving into a foul and
    smelly dumpster and digging for porno with your fellow prepubescent
    schoolmates was a nostalgic time. That art may be lost forever, and
    that makes me sad.
    /s

  14. Neil

    Neil Guest

    "Shane Dryden" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Yes it's a Deore hub by Shimano. Earlier this summer I had a new back
    > wheel put on (rims), and the drive-train replaced - would this mean I
    > would have a new freehub as well? If that's the case, then this
    > problem is occurring before I've even put 200km on it.

    I have gone through three Deore freehub bodies this year. I think they
    lick balls.

  15. Can O' Ale

    Can O' Ale Guest

    supabonbon wrote:

    > Sounds like a frozen pawl. You might want to look into a Morningstar Freehub Buddy.
    > http://cambriabike.com/tools/morningstar_fh_buddy_tool.htm

    Handy tool, wish I'd known about them before.
    I had the exact same problem early in the year. I thought it was grit
    stopping the cassette spinning, put up with it for a week or two,
    couldn't stand it any longer so went and bought a whole new wheel.
    Before I put the new wheel on I went for one last ride using the old
    one, and it suddenly fixed itself! Replaced it anyway.

    I assume frozen pawls are by caused road dirt & salt (and general lack
    of lube - I plead guilty here!) I tried spraying it but to no avail,
    this tool would've been handy to actually inject some grease right inside.

  16. Shawn

    Shawn Guest

    Neil wrote:
    > "Shane Dryden" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >

    >>Yes it's a Deore hub by Shimano. Earlier this summer I had a new back
    >>wheel put on (rims), and the drive-train replaced - would this mean I
    >>would have a new freehub as well? If that's the case, then this
    >>problem is occurring before I've even put 200km on it.

    > I have gone through three Deore freehub bodies this year. I think they
    > lick balls.

    Wouldn't that be a nice-to-have feature? Guess if they had a tongue
    like a cat it wouldn't be so great.

    Shawn

  17. Take a 8 or 10 mm Allen wrench and remove the freehub.
    Now go to your LBS get a replacement freehub. Inslall it & forget about
    the labor cost.

    I MTB 2004