Freehub (?) Tightness

Msa

Guest
Wheelset: Gipiemme Monolith 024.

When I returned from my ride yesterday I noticed that there was play in the cassette (sideways
movement). I removed the cassette and noticed that the cone shaped nut (held in place with a grub
screw) had worked loose. I removed and cleaned everything but I don't know how tight I should do up
the 'nut'. It is completely round so hand tight is all I can apply..is there a rule for how tight
this should be?

I also noticed while checking the front wheel that 1 grub screw is missing, is it important I get a
replacement...the QR holds everything tight. Are these a standard size?

Many thanks in advance.

Mark

Also posted to bicycles.tech in hope of an answer.

MSA wrote:
> Wheelset: Gipiemme Monolith 024.
>
> When I returned from my ride yesterday I noticed that there was play in the cassette (sideways
> movement). I removed the cassette and noticed that the cone shaped nut (held in place with a grub
> screw) had worked loose. I removed and cleaned everything but I don't know how tight I should do
> up the 'nut'. It is completely round so hand tight is all I can apply..is there a rule for how
> tight this should be?

I see there are no replies yet (on either forum) :-(

....I don't know the wheels, but I would imagine the nut should only be just tight enough to
eliminate play (any more, and you might get excessive friction), and the grub screw then keeps it
locked, so is important.........

> I also noticed while checking the front wheel that 1 grub screw is missing, is it important I get
> a replacement...the QR holds everything tight.

Maybe too tight, though; or conversely, nut may eventaully move through vibration, etc.

> Are these a standard size?

I would guess it uses a common thread, so gently try another if you can find/get one. In any case,
consult an expert mechanic or the manufacturer to be sure about the whole job.

~PB

Pete Biggs <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> MSA wrote:
> > Wheelset: Gipiemme Monolith 024.
> >
> > When I returned from my ride yesterday I noticed that there was play in the cassette (sideways
> > movement). I removed the cassette and noticed that the cone shaped nut (held in place with a
> > grub screw) had worked loose. I removed and cleaned everything but I don't know how tight I
> > should do up the 'nut'. It is completely round so hand tight is all I can apply..is there a rule
> > for how tight this should be?
>
> I see there are no replies yet (on either forum) :-(
>
> ....I don't know the wheels, but I would imagine the nut should only be just tight enough to
> eliminate play (any more, and you might get excessive friction), and the grub screw then keeps it
> locked, so is important.........
>
> > I also noticed while checking the front wheel that 1 grub screw is missing, is it important I
> > get a replacement...the QR holds everything tight.
>
> Maybe too tight, though; or conversely, nut may eventaully move through vibration, etc.
>
> > Are these a standard size?
>
> I would guess it uses a common thread, so gently try another if you can find/get one. In any case,
> consult an expert mechanic or the manufacturer to be sure about the whole job.
>
> ~PB

Thanks Pete. I emailed Gipiemme in Italy and received a service manual and personal reply the next
day.. excellent service. They say that the nut should be tightened to 10N, which they say equates to
hand tightness..pretty much what your referring. They also confirmed that the grub screw is a
standard 4mm one...now it's just a case of tracking one down in a local hardware shop.

Wasn't surprised to get no reply on 'the other side', you know how anti 'boutique' wheels they are!
Funny lot, but plenty of expertise especially with Mark Hickey and Mr Campag!

Cheers fella!

--
Mark

"Just ask yourself: What would Scooby Doo?"