Freeing unthreaded brake pad post from holder

Ron Hardin

Guest
A brake pad post (V-brake) that's _unthreaded_ and fits into
a hole in a right-angle thingy you tighten up in the brake
arm, has solidified itself into being one with its holder.

How do you break them free? Pretty hefty pounding produces
no result.

I was thinking of trying flame and ice, if I find the
inclination to try contracting one and expanding the
other someday.
--
Ron Hardin [email protected]

Ron Hardin <[email protected]> wrote:
>A brake pad post (V-brake) that's _unthreaded_ and fits
>into a hole in a right-angle thingy you tighten up in the
>brake arm, has solidified itself into being one with its
>holder. How do you break them free? Pretty hefty pounding
>produces no result.

I freed a similarly stuck cantilever pad by removing the
brake, clamping it in a vice, and twisting like crazy using
my longest adjustable spanner.

>I freed a similarly stuck cantilever pad by removing the
>brake, clamping it in a vice, and twisting like crazy using
>my longest adjustable spanner.
>--
>David Damerell

I always make sure to twist in both directions equally until
progres begins, then attempt to generate fractures in the
metal oxide corrosion. A little at a time, more and more,
until you hear a crack, just a tiny one. Even twisting the
same amount again and again will eventually break it loose.
It's just an energy thing.

Work of fracture.

Electrolytic cleaning will remove surface oxides, but it
doesn't penetrate well.

Yours,

Doug Goncz ( ftp://users.aol.com/DGoncz/ )

Read about my physics project at NVCC:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=dgoncz&scoring=d plus
"bicycle", "fluorescent", "inverter", "flywheel",
"ultracapacitor", etc. in the search box