freeplay in crank - easily fixable?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tsp, Sep 5, 2003.

  1. Tsp

    Tsp Guest

    hi there, my 1 week old bike just developed some freeplay with the crank--it moves laterally about
    .5 to 1 CM. its not terrible but i can definately feel the clicking or the moving when i pedal.

    im new to bicycle repair and maintenance so i dont know if its a common thing for a new bike to go
    out of "tune" during the intial ownership or if the bottom bracket is really screwed or something.

    if its something simple i can probably try to adjust it myself but if something is indeed wrong then
    i am probably screwed.

    fuji nevada 04 - 360 cycleworks in austin, tx

    Tags:

  2. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    "tsp" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > hi there, my 1 week old bike just developed some freeplay with the
    crank--it
    > moves laterally about .5 to 1 CM. its not terrible but i can definately feel the clicking or the
    > moving when i pedal.
    >
    > im new to bicycle repair and maintenance so i dont know if its a common thing for a new bike to go
    > out of "tune" during the intial ownership or if the bottom bracket is really screwed or something.
    >
    > if its something simple i can probably try to adjust it myself but if something is indeed wrong
    > then i am probably screwed.
    >

    > fuji nevada 04 - 360 cycleworks in austin, tx

    If it's ticking, you definitely need to get it checked out immediately. It's possible one of the BB
    cups is loose and if you ride it much this way you can mush the threads in the BB shell. It's an
    easy job for a shop so just take it back where you bought it and they will (should) gladly fix it
    free of charge and apologize for the sloppy (lack of) assembly (Peter?!?!?).

    Cheers,

    Scott..

  3. tsp-<< hi there, my 1 week old bike just developed some freeplay with the crank--it moves
    laterally about .5 to 1 CM. its not terrible but i can definately feel the clicking or the moving
    when i pedal.
    >><BR><BR>

    Need to take it back to where you got it, don't ride it as you may really kill something. If it's
    not possible to take it to where you got it, take it to a bike shop. If the BB or crank have come
    loose, you can ruin them by riding it.

  4. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 02:07:32 -0500, "tsp" <[email protected]> may have said:

    >hi there, my 1 week old bike just developed some freeplay with the crank--it moves laterally about
    >.5 to 1 CM. its not terrible but i can definately feel the clicking or the moving when i pedal.

    I hope you mean mm and not cm there. If so, it's probably just a loose bottom bearing; take it back
    to the bike shop where it was bought, and they'll probably tighten it up at no charge since it's
    just a week out of the box.

    >im new to bicycle repair and maintenance so i dont know if its a common thing for a new bike to go
    >out of "tune" during the intial ownership or if the bottom bracket is really screwed or something.

    The better the pre-delivery prep is done, the fwer things that will crop up, but this is definitely
    not an uncommon kind of situation. Little things can become apparent after delivery of a new unit,
    and bike shops understand this.

    >if its something simple i can probably try to adjust it myself but if something is indeed wrong
    >then i am probably screwed.

    If it's what I think it is, you'd need two tools that you probably don't have, and likely won't need
    for quite a while; let the bike shop fix it.

  5. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "tsp" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > hi there, my 1 week old bike just developed some freeplay with the crank--it moves laterally about
    > .5 to 1 CM. its not terrible but i can definately feel the clicking or the moving when i pedal.

    Don't ride it any more and take it to a bike shop. One or both of the cranks may be loose on the BB
    spindle, which will destroy the cranks and necessitate replacement at much expense. Or the BB unit
    could be loose (cartridge BB) or maladjusted (old style cup and cone BB).

  6. Tsp

    Tsp Guest

    yes, i did mean MM. i took it to the shop and they got it fixed; probably replaced. they also
    performed normal maintenance and adjustment on the derailler and brake lines but i think they
    changed it for the worse --from what i had it set to, atleast.

    anyways, thank you guys for all your help!!!

    news:[email protected]...