Freeride Hardtails

GhrRider

Nov 17, 2003
Howdy, I was just looking around and I saw a specialized P.3. After I saw this I looked around and decided that this spring I have got to get a freeride hardtail. I want to find one cheap so I looked on ebay and they had a couple of 2001 K2 Monkey's for like $400. I was also looking at the new P1 which is like $500. I am still looking, but I was wondering if any of you guys have tried one. So if you have, please share your input.
Thanks

Originally posted by GhrRider
Howdy, I was just looking around and I saw a specialized P.3. After I saw this I looked around and decided that this spring I have got to get a freeride hardtail. I want to find one cheap so I looked on ebay and they had a couple of 2001 K2 Monkey's for like $400. I was also looking at the new P1 which is like $500. I am still looking, but I was wondering if any of you guys have tried one. So if you have, please share your input.
Thanks

Look at JensonUSA for a steal on Jamis Komodo HT....$140 for '01 model, and $165 for '03 model....probably the best all purpose HT on the markeet.

Originally posted by Alnamvet
Look at JensonUSA for a steal on Jamis Komodo HT....$140 for '01 model, and $165 for '03 model....probably the best all purpose HT on the markeet.

That is pretty sweet, but I already have a hardtail for all around use (Schwinn Homegrown). But at that site they have some pretty sweet frames how hard is it to build a bike from a frame and seperate componants.

That is pretty sweet, but I already have a hardtail for all around use (Schwinn Homegrown). But at that site they have some pretty sweet frames how hard is it to build a bike from a frame and seperate componants.

Piece of cake...the basic list as follows:

Frame
Fork
Headset
Stem
Bar
Wheelset
Tires
Seatpost
Saddle
Derailleur F&R
Crankset
Bottom Bracket
Pedals
Chain
Shifter
Brake set
Brake Levers
Grips

Any reputable/certified LBS mechanic will put it all together for about $100.00.
:cool:

would this cost a lot more then buying a bike premade.

Absolutely not... you can build your bike for atleast 25% less than what a LBS can sell it to you for. The nice thing is that there is no generic $hit on your bike (ie: headsets, stems, bars, BB, seatposts, etc.), you can take advantage of blowout sales on 8 speed stuff (8 speed is not dead). It doesn't take an Einstein to figure out your cost...shop the internet...try Jenson, Cambria, Supergo, and spec your bike. A local LBS here in VA sells the Manitou Super six disc for $200...you an buy it on the internet for $70....do the math.;)

Originally posted by Alnamvet
Absolutely not... you can build your bike for atleast 25% less than what a LBS can sell it to you for. The nice thing is that there is no generic $hit on your bike (ie: headsets, stems, bars, BB, seatposts, etc.), you can take advantage of blowout sales on 8 speed stuff (8 speed is not dead). It doesn't take an Einstein to figure out your cost...shop the internet...try Jenson, Cambria, Supergo, and spec your bike. A local LBS here in VA sells the Manitou Super six disc for $200...you an buy it on the internet for $70....do the math.;)

The frame I like is the craftworks rail, how do I know what parts are compatible with it. Sorry, I dont know much about tech stuff.