Freeride vs. XC vs. Downhill - whats the differences?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Destroy, Feb 7, 2003.

  1. Destroy

    Destroy Guest

    Is this kind of right: XC is an normal mtn bike. Downhill is a mogo suspension bike for going
    downhills fast jumping or cliff dropping anything along the way. But what the heck is a
    Freeride bike?

    Tags:

  2. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Destroy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Is this kind of right: XC is an normal mtn bike. Downhill is a mogo suspension bike for going
    > downhills fast jumping or cliff dropping anything along the way. But what the heck is a
    > Freeride bike?

    Inbetween.

    Bill "oh, and black, usually" S.

  3. scottieski

    scottieski Guest

    >From: [email protected] (Destroy)

    >Is this kind of right: XC is an normal mtn bike. Downhill is a mogo suspension bike for going
    >downhills fast jumping or cliff dropping anything along the way.

    >But what the heck is a Freeride bike?

    I think most of us non narrow minded people would just tell you a bike is whatever you want it to
    be. Considering industry standards though, your descriptions are pretty accurate. Freeride means
    alot of different things to alot of different people, but to me a Freeride bike has alot of the same
    characteristics of a Downhill machine. You will find a few less inches of travel, and the ability to
    use it more as a trail bike as opposed to a bike that can primarily only be ridden down. But to
    contradict myself, the Kona Stinky 9 is considered "Freeride", but as it's name suggests, it's got 9
    inches of travel.

    Just make a bike what you want to be and enjoy it.

  4. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    "Destroy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Is this kind of right: XC is an normal mtn bike. Downhill is a mogo suspension bike for going
    > downhills fast jumping or cliff dropping anything along the way. But what the heck is a
    > Freeride bike?

    It's a potentially amusing thread, I reckon.

    Andy Chequer

  5. roKeMS

    roKeMS New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2002
    The difference between a FR bike and a DH bike is that you can pedal a FR bike back up the hill!
    Weighs slightly less and around 5-7" travel on the front and back.
    DH is basically 8" travel all round.:D
    It's either that or the colour of the bike. FRs' are usually black - and Dh red (coz it's faster:D )

  6. Destroy

    Destroy Guest

    >>Is this kind of right: XC is an normal mtn bike. Downhill is a mogo suspension bike for going
    >>downhills fast jumping or cliff dropping anything along the way. But what the heck is a
    >>Freeride bike?
    >

    > Inbetween.

    That's kind of what I thought, thanks.

  7. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Destroy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Is this kind of right: XC is an normal mtn bike. Downhill is a mogo suspension bike for going
    > downhills fast jumping or cliff dropping anything along the way. But what the heck is a
    > Freeride bike?

    Think of a scale, with light/fast/nimble/fragile/short travel or hardtail bikes on the left side,
    and heavy/hard to climb with/allegedly indestuctible/long travel bikes on the right. XC is far left,
    in theory, and Downhill is far right. Freeride bikes (overbuilt, have dried Mountian Dew residue on
    the grips and top tube) are usually just right of center on that imaginary line.

    Just as there are extremes on both ends, there are many good bikes that blur the definitions all
    over the place.

    The most important thing to remember is that, by and large, these categories were invented by people
    who need to classify things, not people who ride bikes. Just like there really was no such thing as
    "grunge" music, these categories really only exist to make it easier for morons to sound like they
    know what they're talking about.

    Chris

  8. Jd

    Jd Guest

  9. Shaun Bell

    Shaun Bell Guest

    "Destroy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Is this kind of right: XC is an normal mtn bike. Downhill is a mogo suspension bike for going
    > downhills fast jumping or cliff dropping anything along the way. But what the heck is a
    > Freeride bike?

    I'll give the proper definition of a freeride bike, any other explanations are just wrong lol!
    Freeride is the label given to bikes owned by people who hammer heavy overbuilt beasts up and down
    these great mountains. Give the same bike to a paid pro with a chair lift and it's a DH rig. Give
    the same bike to some shuttling overweight poser and it's just a shame. Notice, it's the same bike.
    Bike are what you make them.

    SB

  10. Jd

    Jd Guest

    [email protected] wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>... <snip more Benjamin
    Spanklin tripe>
    > (A very early April fools joke LOL!)

    You are a perennial April Fool, duhski.

    JD