freeriding

Gspotrider

Guest
I'm working on increasing my technical skills. I'm getting ride-ups to 1
1/2' and can drop loading docks to flats comfortably on my tank (still new to drops, fear of
falling is much greater than it was when i was 15) but can't seem to get a wheelie drop to feel
natural at all.

For those of you who do wheeldrops, do you start with your chocolate foot? The off foot? How many
pedal revolutions do you prefer? Gearing? Any hints will be appreciated. I've been practicing on
ledges similar to what I do my rideups on, basicially 1' to 1 1/2'.

-GspotRider

GspotRider wrote:
> I'm working on increasing my technical skills. I'm getting ride-ups to 1
> 1/2' and can drop loading docks to flats comfortably on my tank (still new to drops, fear of
> falling is much greater than it was when i was 15) but can't seem to get a wheelie drop to feel
> natural at all.

What doesn't feel natural about it? If you're dropping to flat, then even if you're only dropping 1
1/2', you're going to land with a bit of a thud. The slower you go, the bigger the thud really, as
you're just flopping off. So, a fair bit of speed and land rear wheel first.

Dropping to a downslope is much nicer. Land with both wheels at the same time for a smooth landing.

> For those of you who do wheeldrops, do you start with your chocolate foot?

I prefer my flesh and bone foot...

> The off foot? How many pedal revolutions do you prefer? Gearing? Any hints will be appreciated.
> I've been practicing on ledges similar to what I do my rideups on, basicially 1' to 1 1/2'.

I prefer to get a nice run up, a fair bit of speed and then cruise up to the edge. Cranking right up
to the edge means you don't get a chance to properly prepare. Stay loose, haul up and use your
natural suspension on the landing.

"GspotRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]... <snip>
> For those of you who do wheeldrops, do you start with your chocolate foot? The off foot? How many
> pedal revolutions do you prefer? Gearing? Any hints will be appreciated. I've been practicing on
> ledges similar to what I do my rideups on, basicially 1' to 1 1/2'.

You don't need a tank bike to do any of that. Get yourself a mod trials bike. Rideups, wheelie drops
and everything else will be much more fun to accomplish. Free yourself from suspension and gears...

- CA-G pushin' the mods...

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

"GspotRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I'm working on increasing my technical skills. I'm getting ride-ups to 1
> 1/2' and can drop loading docks to flats comfortably on my tank (still new to drops, fear of
> falling is much greater than it was when i was 15) but can't seem to get a wheelie drop to feel
> natural at all.
>
> For those of you who do wheeldrops, do you start with your chocolate foot? The off foot? How many
> pedal revolutions do you prefer? Gearing? Any hints will be appreciated. I've been practicing on
> ledges similar to what I do my rideups on, basicially 1' to 1 1/2'.
>
> -GspotRider

Sounds like I'm not much better skill level than you with the wheelie drops. I'm sitting here today
with a sore butt cheek from having completely cocked a wheelie up this morning! LOL! I wish I'd seen
myself. It was interesting feeling as all the vertebrae along my spine clicked as my butt hit the
deck. I think that I'm about an inch shorter this afternoon.

I try to lead with either foot depending on how I'm set up. However, being right handed I seem to
like my right foot leading most of the time. I keep on the lower side of my gearing so that I can
use less effort and a short, firm push to lift the front. Try dropping the seat a little lower too -
that can help you get your centre of gravity back more too. I try to manual it more than force a
wheelie. Keep forward before you take off and smoothly transfer weight backwards as you pull back
evenly on the bars and push that pedal to bring the front wheel up a little. You don't really want
the front wheel too high though or you'll land awkwardly on the back wheel. Provided that you don't
let the front wheel _drop_ as you take off you'll be fine. You don't have to get it that high to
successfully clean the drop.

Speed is THE most important thing, like bomba said, if you don't have reasonable speed you'll just
drop like a sack of potatoes, drop the front wheel and faceplant. Which is what you were trying to
avoid by doing a wheelie drop in the first place. Getting that speed up is/was the trickiest thing
for me. I find that a slow running speed usually seems to work best for me. Most of the time,
anyway. I'm still getting used to it all myself.
--
Westie - anyone got a spare cushion?

If you cant get any speed when coming up to a drop, what i usualy do is put it in 3rd gear, go slow-med speed, with the foot that i kick with on top, then wheely so the front wheel is high enough i can see it but low enough so i dont feel like im going to fall back, then as soon as i feel the wheel drop i lean my ars right over the back of the seet and ...land.:eek:

the only problem for me is that i get a VERY sore back, it feels like a nerve is being pinched or something...but i try not to let that worry me.

keep practising, and soon what may have felt uncomfartable may feel normal ;) then you'l be on easy street and no drop will be too big :cool:

"GspotRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I'm working on increasing my technical skills. I'm getting ride-ups to 1
> 1/2' and can drop loading docks to flats comfortably on my tank (still new to drops, fear of
> falling is much greater than it was when i was 15) but can't seem to get a wheelie drop to feel
> natural at all.
>
> For those of you who do wheeldrops, do you start with your chocolate foot? The off foot? How many
> pedal revolutions do you prefer? Gearing? Any hints will be appreciated. I've been practicing on
> ledges similar to what I do my rideups on, basicially 1' to 1 1/2'.
>
> -GspotRider

All the advise giver here sounds about right ('cept maybe Carla's trials insanity).

My question is, are we in the same G-Spot? Home of Wasted State?

Matt

> You don't need a tank bike to do any of that. Get yourself a mod trials bike. Rideups, wheelie
> drops and everything else will be much more fun to accomplish. Free yourself from suspension and
> gears...

Oh, I'm planning on getting a Monty Mod pretty soon. Nothing special, just a basic $500 entry mod
with Vs - I'm really light and Vs should work fine to learn.

~G

> I prefer to get a nice run up, a fair bit of speed and then cruise up to the edge. Cranking right
> up to the edge means you don't get a chance to properly prepare. Stay loose, haul up and use your
> natural suspension on the landing.

I'm more referring to a place where I have NO runup at all. Trackstand, front wheel right at the
edge to wheelie to off. That's what I'm having trouble with. If I have a runup of any length I don't
typically have problems with my landings.

I suppose I already know the answer, however: practice, practice, practice!

~G

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> All the advise giver here sounds about right ('cept maybe Carla's trials insanity).

I am not insane...just spreading the word... :)

> My question is, are we in the same G-Spot? Home of Wasted State?

I think he's referring to the bike that he rides...Cove G-Spot.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Henry Rollins wrote:

> I'm more referring to a place where I have NO runup at all. Trackstand, front wheel right at the
> edge to wheelie to off. That's what I'm having trouble with.

Ah, well strictly speaking, that's more trials than 'freeriding'. I know that you have to chuck in
pedal kicks, but I'm not sufficiently good at them to offer you any decent advice.

"Henry Rollins" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
> Oh, I'm planning on getting a Monty Mod pretty soon. Nothing special,
just
> a basic $500 entry mod with Vs - I'm really light and Vs should work fine to learn.

Glad to hear it! You will see the beauty of the mod...V's will be fine to start off with, but when
your moves and skills start to improve, you will probably want to upgrade to hydros, they have
better modulation and stronger braking power.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

"GspotRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I'm working on increasing my technical skills. I'm getting ride-ups to 1
> 1/2' and can drop loading docks to flats comfortably on my tank (still new to drops, fear of
> falling is much greater than it was when i was 15) but can't seem to get a wheelie drop to feel
> natural at all.
>
> For those of you who do wheeldrops, do you start with your chocolate foot? The off foot? How many
> pedal revolutions do you prefer? Gearing? Any hints will be appreciated. I've been practicing on
> ledges similar to what I do my rideups on, basicially 1' to 1 1/2'.
>
> -GspotRider

I start with the rocky road, and try to avoid strawberrys.